The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Almost returned my Yamaha LL16M

I bought this guitar one day less than a month ago at Long and McQuade so today was my last day to return it. I am still in love with it but it was going back. Unplugged the tone is phenomenal, at least to my ears. Plugged into an amp the tone is very good. Plugged directly into a mixer board it sucks... all treble and very low volume. I tried it in three different PA’s and it sucked in all of them. I tried a passive DI, still sucked. It is a passive piezo system with no controls at all. I mostly play at bar jams and open mic’s so I need to be able to go into a mixer. I figured it needed an active DI. I was going to return it and buy the lowest price solid wood Taylor on L&M’s 12 month no interest sale. When I got to the store and told them my woes they took me to the rental section so I could try the Yamaha in a PA with and without a DI. Long story short I kept the LL16 and now am the proud owner of an LR Baggs Venue DI. Can’t wait see what it sounds like live tonight.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-09-2018 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 03-08-2018, 06:05 PM

love that long and mcquade and glad yer storey had a happy ending
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a good match. I have a feeling your issues are over...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:59 AM

FWIW, The L series isnt designed to be the ultimate stage guitar. Its great acoustically, and the pickups were designed to be as unobtrusive as possible (and hence are called zero impact pickups).

You said you do a lot of jams and open mics, so electronics would be important. Thats where the A series would shine IMO. Check out the A3M. Dreadnought size, all solid spruce/hog with a phenomenal pickup and preamp. Heck even the A1M (laminate b/s) would do it for you, since you'd be depending on the plugged in tone more.

See how it goes
Old 03-09-2018, 04:12 AM

The Baggs DI Venue should make you happy. Funny you say this b/c I did sell my LL16M for the same reason you mention. The buyer just got the Venue and I got to hear the guitar through it and a pa system. The tone shaping the Venue gives is amazing. Best of luck. Looking forward to hear how you like it.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:54 AM

In my opinion, there's not much that's better than a good pickup without electronics through a nice but basic active DI. The fancy DI's add a lot of control, which can be nice, but I tend to prefer the simpler options.

I wouldn't expect any guitar to sound good straight into the PA, without a DI.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM

I played in a bar jam last night. I am really glad I didn't return the LL16. The LR Baggs Venue is amazing. You could hardly tell the pickup was a piezo. The tone shaping was amazing and very easy to dial in, although you do have to squat down to read the dials. I spent part of the night letting other people play my guitar so I could hear what it sounded like. I was blown away. The boost is very useful in a jam situation. Haven't even tried the effects loop yet. The Venue was an expensive add on but it was cheaper than returning the LL16 and getting another solid wood guitar. I really wanted a guitar that shone acoustically but also sounded good for jams and open mics. With the Venue the LL16 fits the bill perfectly.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
In my opinion, there's not much that's better than a good pickup without electronics through a nice but basic active DI. The fancy DI's add a lot of control, which can be nice, but I tend to prefer the simpler options.

I wouldn't expect any guitar to sound good straight into the PA, without a DI.
In a bar jam situation as long as you can cut through the mix you're good to go. With two or three guitars, a bass, and a drummer every other guitar I've used has been good to go plugged into a PA. It surprised me how poor the LL16 sounded plugged in directly but the problem is fixed now. Can't wait to try the Venue with my Larrivee L-42 at an open mic.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I have the Venue and the Session DI. I've been using the Session mostly and really like it for it's simplicity. But it does lack the boost option. Two different animals but both very effective. Glad it worked out well for you!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Brown View Post
I bought this guitar one day less than a month ago at Long and McQuade so today was my last day to return it. I am still in love with it but it was going back. Unplugged the tone is phenomenal, at least to my ears. Plugged into an amp the tone is very good. Plugged directly into a mixer board it sucks... all treble and very low volume. I tried it in three different PA’s and it sucked in all of them. I tried a passive DI, still sucked. It is a passive piezo system with no controls at all. I mostly play at bar jams and open mic’s so I need to be able to go into a mixer. I figured it needed an active DI. I was going to return it and buy the lowest price solid wood Taylor on L&M’s 12 month no interest sale. When I got to the store and told them my woes they took me to the rental section so I could try the Yamaha in a PA with and without a DI. Long story short I kept the LL16 and now am the proud owner of an LR Baggs Venue DI. Can’t wait see what it sounds like live tonight.
I'm certain the DI Venue will make you happy. I had a similar problem with my Taylor 814 with the ES2 system. Totally sucked going straight through the house system. Because of the situation I needed something smaller that I could hook on my strap and move with me or on the music stand (not on the floor) I got a Baggs GigPro preamp. It improved things immensely. I'm sure the DI Venue will be even better.

Will be interested to see how you like it. Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 AM

You made the right decision. A lot of the problem you experience is related to impedance mismatch. The Yamaha passive pickups require a high impedance input. Acoustic amps are designed with a high impedance input. Some mixers also have that function. But, you chose a very smart and useful product that is purpose designed to solve the exact problem you were experiencing.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Brown View Post
I'm still glad you found the solution to the problem, Kerry and I still think it's a killer guitar.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:28 PM

It's always nice to hear of a good outcome! Thanks for the update. Now I have seller's remorse...but if (when) I get another Yammie with the Zero Impact pickup, I'll know what else to get.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion