The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Default Anyone using a soundhole pickup with an acoustic/electric?

I recently went shopping for an new acoustic/electric, or so I thought..... Once I got my hands on the Eastman AC312, I said, "Pickup Schmickup!" I just couldn't resist. So if I'm going to do any recording, which I'm thinking about, I'll need to get a soundhole pickup, like maybe a Fishman or Baggs.

So I have to ask....have any of you bought an acoustic/electric and decided that you hated the piezo sound, then added a soundhole pickup? The idea, to me, sounds a whole lot warmer than a piezo.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Awhile back I had a cheap GHS soundhole mic and plugged that plus my regular piezo into a Boss line selector (basically a two-channel mixer) in front of my Boss AD-8. It did fill out the sound a lot, but the mic was tempermental and clunky and I didn't like having two cables coming out from my guitar.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Recording? Microphones are the best way to go... I heard a clip on Doug Young's site that compared $5,000 Brauner mics with some AT2020 (?) that list for $100 each... the AT mics REALLY held their own with those expensive mics...

Soundhole pick ups? A lot fo great players use them; Richard Thompson comes to mind immediately... and a whole lot of players use a soundhole pick-up with another source, then blend the two...

As far as types or models go; MiSi gets a lot of good press on here. LRBaggs has the M1 and the M1A (active), Seymour Duncan has the Mag-Mic, and probably others... I'm sure that Fishman may have something like this, as well.

Do a search on this site to find a whole slew of articles on this stuff! Go to Doug Young's site and check out his "sound clip" comparisons...

play on.......................................>

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-06-2011, 03:54 PM

No you don't need a soundhole pickup for recording; actually you should NOT use any pickup for recording. Get a mic for that.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 10-07-2011, 04:33 AM

I dont like the piezo quack, but it didnt mean i had to give up on ust pickups. I just insted bought a fishman aura spectrum DI that removed all quack and gave me a lovelly mike like tone.

However, i also own vintage Gibson CW where I didnt want to make any modificagtions to, so after first trying the Baggs M1a and hating it I took a punt on a Fishman Rare Earth Blend and have been extremely satsified with the tone.

The ability to 'blend' the humburcker and mike signals gave me a lovelly tone and finally the CW was able to make her first gig.

I highly recommend this soundhole pickup, great option.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

If you're looking to record, I would say a mic will sound a lot better than any pickup. Something like the AT2020 mentioned above, or an Oktava MK012, Shure SM81, Studio Projects B1 or C1 would do perfectly. If you are still going to get a pickup for live use, K&K Pure Mini's aren't soundhole pickups, but they get a bunch of good press around here. Baggs M1a's and M1's are pretty standard. I think most people would recommend those.
Electrics: 1975 Gretsch 7670 | 1959 Fender Jazzmaster (heavily modified) | 1980 Fender Lead II
Other Instruments: Eastman MD-505 Mandolin (K&K) | Sullivan Jam Open-Back Banjo (Schatten) | Fender Mustang PJ Bass
Amps: 2017 Otis Trudeau | 1964 Gibson Skylark | Yamaha Stagepas 200BTR
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 AM

Another vote for the M1A or M1, after having many piezo units, those two are better choices in my opinion.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification