The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
thank you, doug. you are a competent and helpful bloke.

of course, it's a little bit painful for us windows users to watch just how slick and easy it is in logic. however, maybe something similar can be done in reaper. i'll have to check out the manual and the internet and play around a bit to see. i haven't been recording much for a while but this is rather inspiring for me.
Windows has more than it's share of powerful DAWs, Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar, others I'm forgetting. One of the programs I hated to give up when I moved off windows was Adobe Audition - one of the best-kept secrets of recording software. It's on a Mac now, but missing most of the features that made me like it on Windows. In any case, as you see from these various demos, each tool has it's own ways of doing things, might be a little different, but each powerful in it's own way. I don't think Reaper has this quick swipe notion, but it's an impressive program, especially for the price, and I'm sure it has some good editing capabilities. Of course, if we all just played perfectly, we wouldn't need these things :-)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Of course, if we all just played perfectly, we wouldn't need these things :-)
Preaching to the choir, Doug!

Wish I could be happy with "today's version" as my spouse calls them...when I lament that I can't get it right every time, her response is usually something along the line of "it sounds fine to me, just consider it today's version." We learn to play through our errors and thank the powers that be they're transitory when others are listening. Recorders are far less forgiving and I am my own worst critic (but thankfully I now live in an age with digital editing software)!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lee View Post
Thanks Doug!

QuickTime screen recording. For non-blurry output I find it is best to
set your screen to native resolution first

Any other way I did this yielded blurry results.
"native resolution"? I use a Mac Pro with an external display are you talking about the "best for display" option ?
With the Mac Pro there is no internal mic so I either have to use the mic on the display or I figure I'll might try to just do a voice over track. In Pro Tools

Did a quick experiment yesterday afternoon. First time trying to use PT video... The screen recording went fine and I was able to import the QT movie it back into the PT session and enable the video engine and view. However when I bounced back out to QT it did it, and showed up on the desk top and looks fine. When I click on it it opens but will not play. ha! guess I'll have to read the guide for PT video. Or I may just do the voice while watching the QT vid in PT then export the audio file and load it into Final Cut Pro. more later.................

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-15-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"native resolution"? I use a Mac Pro with an external display are you talking about the "best for display" option ?
With the Mac Pro there is no internal mic so I either have to use the mic on the display or I figure I'll might try to just do a voice over track. In Pro Tools
Yes - the "best for display" option.

Whenever i try editing in imovie the result comes up looking worse on youtube. For the mic - you can plug into the MacPro built in sound input for recording with QT. I bet you can also select CoreAudio and use your PT interface - though I have never tried that....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD