The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2001, 11:21 AM

Question B-Band Electret Transducers ?

Hi all, anyone here who knows something about this newer acoustic pickup system? Any opinions or experience with it in a taylor?
I ask because I´m thinking of installing a PU in my Taylor 612 C now.

Thank for any information.

Arno
Old 07-17-2001, 01:57 PM

Hi Arno,

Yes, I know the B-bands quite well, I have their New Frontier system in my 714ce. I replaced the existing Fishman Onboard Blender system with this and have been extremely pleased. The Fishman Matrix in this guitar had horrid clarity. The Matrix, however, sounds quite good in the 600 maple series. I think the Matrix works better in neutral sounding guitars (maple or plywood guitars).

The B-band's clarity is VERY good. I think the only undersaddle pickup that may have a leg up on it is the Baggs Hex pickup. The B-band doesn't have that edgy sound the Matrix seems to possess. It also has a much greater dynamic range than the Matrix which tends to sound compressed the harder you hit the strings. Again these results were through a cedar top/rosewood b&s guitar. I don't how it will sound in a maple guitar. Contrary to what some might say, I think the guitar really does make a difference in how a pickup will sound.

B-band has also just recently introduced their AST soundboard pickup. I've heard great things about this pickup. I may take a trip to B-band's Hollywood office to demo it. I'm waiting for their AST/UST combo system which I think may be the ultimate dual source pickup system if it becomes available.

GL
Old 07-17-2001, 03:25 PM

Smile

Hi GL, many thanks for your very informative description. Particularly interesting I find your note concerning the different sound results of the used PU depending on the wood of the guitar. IMO, this is a very important fact, which we perhaps don´t consider enough with a PU selection. Therefore the Fishman Matrix System ( You mean the Natural I or II ? ) would also be no bad choice for my baby. (I included the Fishman Matrix Natural I into the closer selection, beside the i-beam from Baggs. Uff, who has the choice, has the pain !
In any case I want to let me enough time to find the optimal PU System for my Taylor.
In this sense it would be perhaps better, to wait a little bit more for a review of the AST/UST combo system, you also mentioned.

Thanks again

Arno

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Arno Ehlscheid ]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification