The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-29-2011, 11:12 AM

What does freezing tracks actually do? I don't understand how it relates to what I am trying to do.

BTW, Yes, there is a way to freeze tracks in Reaper, but from what I have read so far, it looks like another nightmare, sheeeeesh!

I am this close to going and getting Logic or ProTools.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 05-29-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM

I use Cubase so the terms may not be the same, but freezing tracks in Cubase
applies to using software instruments - not outboard stuff. Unless freezing
in Reaper is entirely different than anything else I've ever seen, it's irrelevant to
your issue.

What freezing does is a way for the program to digitally memorize
what's on the track and then offload it so it's not using processing power in
real time.

BTW - freezing is simple and a matter of pressing one little button.

PS - I just noticed from your 1st post that you have a Macbook Pro. Have you tried GarageBand? I'm not familier
with it but it's basically a stripped down version of Logic and is probably all you need.

No matter what you end up using, it will require you to become somewhat adept in the details of this stuff.
This post you've started will become a mile long in orderto answer all the questions you will eventually have.
When I first started down this path you are on, I spent months reading about it before it became clear.

Or, you could get a reel-to-reel tape recorder!

Jim McCarthy

Last edited by runamuck; 05-29-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
What does freezing tracks actually do? I don't understand how it relates to what I am trying to do.

BTW, Yes, there is a way to freeze tracks in Reaper, but from what I have read so far, it looks like another nightmare, sheeeeesh!

I am this close to going and getting Logic or ProTools.
Rick,

The better question and of course better answer would be "what would freeze tracks do for me in this particular situation". Otherwise we're gonna get all sorts of answers on how "mechanically" freeze tracks work.

In short freeze tracks "record" the track and it's accompanying (in your case) reverb. The trick here is that it does it in less than real time and it does it by merely touching a button. You hit a button and your guitar track now has the PCM92 reverb recorded to that track. If Reaper is capable (and again that's the big question here) The whole process takes less time than a swig of coffee.

You can then use the PCM Reverb on another setting and on another track, You can do this repeatedly and endlessly.

Again...touch a button and your done.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:24 PM

My own DAW doesn't have a freeze option but it sounds like it's only meant for tracks with plugins rather than external effects? Also, you're still going to have to set up all the routing.

@Rick

Did you find the Reaper routing matrix?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
My own DAW doesn't have a freeze option but it sounds like it's only meant for tracks with plugins rather than external effects? Also, you're still going to have to set up all the routing.
Some DAW can freeze outboard effects and some can't.

No there would be absolutely NO routing needed if Reaper can in fact freeze outboard stuff. The effect itself would then move from an aux send and return insert scenario to an insert on the track itself. You push a button on the track and it's rerecord with the FX in place. There would/could be latency issues but no more so than simply running in real time.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 PM

I am pretty much at a standstill here. I just want to know how to create a final wav or mp3 file with outboard effects in REAPER. Sigh!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Don't give up yet

Can you see the routing matrix (see previous post)? It should have six inputs (the Profire inputs) and ten outputs, one for each of the DSP mixer software returns.

If you can see that we're almost home and dry.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 PM

I have to admit, as much as I hate to, that I am ready to dump Reaper and try Logic. This whole process is so unbelievably complicated, and I am tired of wasting my time. Will Logic make this easy?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM

C'mon knuckle down. Can you see the routing matrix?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 PM

the bottom left, no i dont. I see the explorer tab and mixer tab

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 06-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 PM

OK Alt-R toggles the tab for the router matrix on and off. Or you can find it in the view menu.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM

ok i see it
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 PM

Great You'll need to use the scroll bar away on the far right to scroll up and down through the full routing matrix.

On the left you should see "source" and six inputs. You might need to scroll down to see these. There are also pairs of inputs listed, for convenience: 1 & 2, 3 & 4 etc. When you click in a square you hook that input up to a track. When you click again it will toggle record arm.

If you scroll up to the top of the matrix, you should see ten outputs. These are the software returns in the DSP mixer. You also get pairs again, 1 & 2, 3 & 4 etc. You should be able to see that the master out is hooked up to outputs 1 & 2. Clicking in a square makes a connection from any track to any output.

I've got to get to bed soon but I've got time for one more post if you get back to me within 15 mins.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 PM

moon,
Am I correct in that you are trying to get me set up to record both the wet and the dry tracks at the same time?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 PM

We'll set up anything you want later but for now I just want to show you the routing matrix and give a quick explanation of what's going on here. Do you get how it works?

The raw input comes straight in to Reaper. You use the routing matrix to send these to Reaper tracks for recording. All tracks should be automatically routed to the master bus (connected to outputs 1&2). For outboard FX send, you'll send a track to any other output except 1&2. The Reaper outputs are found in the DSP mixer as "software returns", and from here you can patch them in to any Profire output.

It'll all start to make sense very soon, honest Got to go to bed now but have a play around and see where you get to. If it's really doing your head in just drop it for now and I'll be back tomorrow.

PS: I haven't used Logic but I doubt it's any easier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD