The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

My guitars hang by their necks year round, in New England, spring, summer, fall and winter, on an outside facing wall, no humidifier. Then again, they are both carbon fiber guitars. However, prior to that they were wood guitars. No ill effects on those either.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:30 PM

I hang my lapsteel that way because it won't fit a typical guitar hanger.

Martin marketed those leather strap hangers and if it's okay with Martin it's okay with me. Dead simple to make if you're the least bit handy.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:35 PM

I’m not sure I’d hang a 9-lb. Les Paul that way, but I don’t see a problem with an acoustic.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-24-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
... I hang some of my guitars like this. Been doing this for a few years. I’ve not noticed any ill effects from it— but how about long-term? Not good for the tuning machines or neck? Or do you think it’s ok?...
I hung my D35 for its first couple of decades in the living rooms of the early apartments and houses I lived in. I used a piece of coat hanger neatly bent around the end tuners, forming a permanent inverted V to hang on a nail. You have to look hard to notice it from the front. It is still on the guitar, but I have not hung it since the 1980s.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okri8i5h4m...anger.jpg?dl=0

Ten years ago I took it to an authorized Martin luthier nearby for a check up, and he found a lot of work to do: "Repair 3 loose back braces. Heat press neck. Shave bridge top. Install bridge plate patch. Level fretboard, fill cracks and worn areas. Do complete refit. Repair binding." He did not comment on the hanger but I wondered if such problems were normal after 40 years, or if the hanging had contributed to them.

Last year I took it to another luthier to lower the action some more, and he lectured me on the hanger. He said hanging on a wall exposed the guitar to dryness and sunlight and was very bad for it. He said guitars should be kept in their cases with humidification. Since then I have used the D'Addario bags draped over the strings into the sound hole.

Last edited by vintage40s; 02-24-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added photo link
Old 02-24-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

I think you would be very safe. The withdrawal load and the shear load exerted by the weight of a guitar are well below safe values. If you want to have fun, use this online calculator to give yourself an idea of maximum allowable values. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ad-d_1815.html

And then if you want more go here. https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/f...chapter_08.pdf

Keep in mind the load is shared by multiple screws - the number depends on how you attach the strap.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:39 AM

Simple question: why hang it this way when there are innumerable hangers out there (my fave being the Hercules with the auto yoke), that allow the guitar to be easily grabbed, are secure, and don't leave you with a little piece of leather hanging on the guitar when you want to play it? My bias, of course ...just wondering.

Edward
Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Here in the UK, we don't believe in hanging any more.
If your guitars have offended society, they should be incarcerated in solitary confinement (or a case) for a defined period, although conjugal visit may be allowed when you fancy a strum.

Seriously, I have three guitars on hangers in my office - not Hercules - just some no-name pieced screwed to the wall - been there for twenty years or more. No issues.

The most important aspect aspect is the RH and humidity around them.

Martin OM-21 (2010)
Gibson J-45TV (2011)
Gibson J-35 (2017)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:33 AM

Default Hanging your guitar/leather strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Simple question: why hang it this way when there are innumerable hangers out there (my fave being the Hercules with the auto yoke), that allow the guitar to be easily grabbed, are secure, and don't leave you with a little piece of leather hanging on the guitar when you want to play it? My bias, of course ...just wondering.

Edward

In the bottom picture I posted, (in the original post)the M36 in the back of the cabinet is indeed in a String Swing traditional yolk style hanger. It simply has a leather strap on it, because they change places in the cabinet as I rotate them out to play. I have 2 of these climate controlled cabinets that are holding 5 total guitars - I found I had to do the leather strap thing in order to fit more guitars in the cabinets. If I could find a hanger that mounted to the top of the cab and hanged vertically downward, I would use it - but it has the be really short. I know the leather isn’t elegant but no one but me sees it anyway of course, I could just build 2 more cabinets but I’m too lazy to do it! I know some will say I’m silly, just keep them in the cases, but I don’t play outside my basement and the cases just go into storage. Thank you everyone againIMG_9882.jpg

Last edited by jkilgour2000; 02-24-2019 at 12:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion