The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-30-2021, 12:41 PM

Default NGD Yamaha Pacifica 212v

Obviously not as high end as what I see a lot of you talking about here, but I've been an acoustic player for years and wanted to dip my toe in to electrics without dumping a lot of money in to it. I looked at some of the Squires but the Yamahas just seemed to offer more bang for the buck. I've paired it up with a Fender Mustang LT25 amp and am having a lot of fun with the duo. I've also managed to get better acoustic tone out of the Fender amp than I've ever gotten out of my Dean Markley acoustic amp. I showed the Yamaha to an experienced gigging guitar player I work with and he was pretty impressed with the build quality. I think it will be a good platform for upgrading if I continue on this electric journey, although it already has alnico 5 pickups. Coming from acoustics the 9 gauge strings were way too light for me so I put Ernie ball 11s on which I'm I'm more comfortable with but I'll probably drop down to 10s in the future. I can bend the 11s but I think 10s may end up being just right. Feel free to lend me any advice since I'm new to electrics.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 04-30-2021, 01:16 PM

Terry, congrats on the 212v! Is it the 212vfm? What color?

Given that you went from 9s to 11s you should check your intonation, the relief, and make sure the strings are nicely sitting in the nut slots. If you don't notice anything when playing then you're fine.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Terry, congrats on the 212v! Is it the 212vfm? What color?

Given that you went from 9s to 11s you should check your intonation, the relief, and make sure the strings are nicely sitting in the nut slots. If you don't notice anything when playing then you're fine.
Yes it's the VFM. I do all my own setup so I've adjusted everything, including filing the nut slots. The strings were pretty high at the nut. I wish acoustics were this easy to set up. Intonation actually improved with the higher gauge strings so I didn't have to touch it, but if I did it would be so easy! There was zero tension on the truss rod so relief was pretty high but that was easy despite have to put the wrench between tight strings to adjust. The biggest advantage with the heavier gauge strings is less buzz at lower string height.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 04-30-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_D View Post
Yes it's the VFM. I do all my own setup so I've adjusted everything, including filing the nut slots. The strings were pretty high at the nut. I wish acoustics were this easy to set up. Intonation actually improved with the higher gauge strings so I didn't have to touch it, but if I did it would be so easy! There was zero tension on the truss rod so relief was pretty high but that was easy despite have to put the wrench between tight strings to adjust. The biggest advantage with the heavier gauge strings is less buzz at lower string height.
So much easier when we can do our own setups. Enjoy your 212VFM.

What color is it?
Old 04-30-2021, 06:25 PM

Pacificas are nice guitars. You'll have a blast with it.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 AM

When a friend of mine wanted to buy a starter electric for his teenage son, my research clearly pointed to a Pacifica as the best choice, and he's been happy with it. Yamaha is really good at making reliable, playable, decent-sounding instruments across all its price brackets (and I respect them, like Gretsch, for keeping all their lines under the main brand name--to me this expresses confidence that the quality of the entry-level stuff is good enough to not compromise the brand).
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 05-05-2021, 10:31 AM

Congrats on your new guitar. I have been looking these over and think I have made my mind up on one also.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars