The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-26-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

I appreciate this thread, Jon. That Fender MM looks like a handy unit - your usage with it plugged into a power speaker clinched it for me - I ordered one today. Looking forward to giving it a go. I have a Yamaha THR30ii that I have been using with my electric guitars; when quiet is necessary, a headphone into that has worked well.

Funny how things have changed: in my younger days, bigger was better for any amplification (amps and PAs) - these days, I am impressed with "how small can you go" and still sound good. This Fender Mustang Micro may be the limit.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2021, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
your usage with it plugged into a power speaker clinched it for me

Will it work with a Bluetooth speaker?
Old 04-26-2021, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
Will it work with a Bluetooth speaker?
The bluetooth is incoming only, so you can play along with tracks on your phone.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The bluetooth is incoming only, so you can play along with tracks on your phone.
Thank you.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Well, it showed up today. What a great time to be a guitar player... I plugged it into a USB-C cable, plugged in my Bose headphones, and...wow! It felt like I was sitting in front of my all-time favorite amp: a Fender Twin Reverb. It is pretty impressive that they can get all these amp models, tones, and effects in this little thing.

My wife was anxious to hear it (she's the one who ordered it) - she brought out a little Jawbone speaker (1/8" to 1/8" cable), and... it wasn't awful. And that little speaker is tiny. Using an 1/8" to 1/4" cable and run into a Bose S1, and running from clean to crunchy to high gain brought a big ol' smile to my face.

Thanks again, Jon, for starting this thread. This little wonder wasn't on my radar, and I was intrigued when I came across this thread. It's great when a piece of gear turns out to be as good as the discussion about it.

I bought a Yamaha THR30ii last year, and have been using that to record when doing an electric track. That little amp kicks when running a line out to a PA. And, I thought that was small. I can see where this Mustang Micro will be just as useful... can't get much smaller.

A big ol' thumbs up on this little wonder.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:11 PM

Mine arrived yesterday too, but it's still in the box as I'm crunching with my project to complete as many new audio pieces for April National Poetry Month as I can manage. Mr. Robert Browning will curse me from his grave if I don't complete my track using his words.

I'm not expecting to be blown away with the thing, but only because I've been pleased with what Fender has done with modeling over the years. I put a lot of hours on a Mustang III (which I mostly used as mock Fender Princeton with a DI so that I'd stop getting mic bleed from a bass and drums in my studio space) and I think the little hybrid modeling/tube Super Champ is fine little low volume combo--and the Mustang Micro's interface appears to have the same virtues for those who hate digging into menus or apps for modeling choices.

Given that I'm never alone in my house I do a lot of composing on unplugged electric, and I'm hoping the Micro is a little more ready-at-a-moment's-notice deal for when inspiration strikes.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Experimenting some today: I used the Fender Mustang Micro with my Emerald X10 (an acoustic guitar with a humbucking pickup); seems the Krivo humbucking pickup is a bit hot compared to the Fluence pickups on my SG. It was picking up every little handling noise. I ran the FMM into the SG into a Bose S1 in line level, and it sounded good. Not as good as with the headphones, but I was keeping the volume reasonably low. Even better into the Bose L1c... a good Fender Twin Reverb clean sound and a very passable high gain.

My wife asked if I tried it in the Yamaha THR30ii... I did not. Considering all the THR does, it seems like a duplication of effort. Still, I'll give that a try another time.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Experimenting some today: I used the Fender Mustang Micro with my Emerald X10 (an acoustic guitar with a humbucking pickup); seems the Krivo humbucking pickup is a bit hot compared to the Fluence pickups on my SG. It was picking up every little handling noise. I ran the FMM into the SG into a Bose S1 in line level, and it sounded good. Not as good as with the headphones, but I was keeping the volume reasonably low. Even better into the Bose L1c... a good Fender Twin Reverb clean sound and a very passable high gain.

My wife asked if I tried it in the Yamaha THR30ii... I did not. Considering all the THR does, it seems like a duplication of effort. Still, I'll give that a try another time.
Thnx for your observations Captain Jim! This is on my radar, thnx to Jon, fazool and now you...
Old 05-01-2021, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

It was a rainy day in the Tropical Tip, so a good opportunity to make some music with the Fender Mustang Micro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAxYkw57j8w

First time in about 25 years that I made music with (gasp) no acoustic guitar somewhere in the mix. The music tracks were recorded with a Spire Studio. The guitar parts were direct into the Spire, through the Fender Mustang Micro - no amp, no Spire amp effect. Bass and electronic drums direct in, vocals through a Yamaha mixer then into the Spire.

Video shot with an iPhone, then all edited in iMovie. Fun project; the music took less than an hour, another hour to shoot the video, and a couple hours to edit.

I give the Fender Mustang Micro two thumbs up. My aging back gives it three thumbs up.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:

I give the Fender Mustang Micro two thumbs up. My aging back gives it three thumbs up.
I haven't weighed mine, but I think it weighs less than a Fender Twin.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-01-2021, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

I've been using this a lot out and about in the house.

I am flabbergasted by how good this sounds

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-21-2021, 11:08 AM

Too bad they don't make a Acoustic version....
Old 05-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

I've been using the "pre amp" section for my silent acoustics. Seems to work reasonably well although no doubt a dedicate acoustic one could have more options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Too bad they don't make a Acoustic version....
Old 05-30-2021, 07:31 AM

I bought the Vox AmPlug 2 Clean and my major gripe was to play a clean clean it just wasn't loud enough for me with the setup I use. My electric has low-output pickups and I'm using a cheap set of headphones and my eyes belong to a senior citizen ... so maybe it was me or my gear or maybe it was the unit itself. I also really didn't like having to find and buy batteries for the thing; I figured that in probably about two years or so of frequent use that I would have to pay enough to buy batteries that would make up the gap between the pricing of the Vox and the Fender Micro.

But ... I was able to use a 25 percent off discount code at a dealer so I went ahead and bought the Micro.

And, I'm delighted with it. For one, at the same settings and with the same gear, it's plenty loud for me. The only setting that isn't is the Studio Preamp setting, which I expected. I also like being able to charge it through the USB cable and, as others have said, it just feels and look better. Even the fact that the input swivels 270 degrees as opposed to the 180 degrees on the Vox unit is a plus, I think.

As others have said, not having separate gain and volume controls is a minus but I think the different emulations are made with those settings in mind ... that is, little gain on the "clean" settings and more on the "dirty" settings.

But again the main thing for me was the volume difference between the two units, that is , how I perceived them.

Also Fender has opened the door for a possible software update so I wonder when/if that will happen. I've found that with other units similar update would either try to correct some inherent problems (such as hiss) or just improve the emulations themselves. Again, maybe no update at all but there is that chance , a chance that is not available at all with the Vox unit.

So now I'm thinking about getting a slightly better set of headphones than the $10 set I have now.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars