The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-11-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pack View Post
The main top or back resonance is what is referred to when the they are coupled to the sides, or when the are held in a rigid temporary form.
Ahhh... that helps, thank you.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-11-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Dan, this is a place where it really shows that you have been reading too much Somogyi, and that you have done too little repair of old guitars.
Guilty on both accounts I'm pretty new at this and it is a hobby, so I've only done like 2 repairs so I've clearly got lots to learn.

someone mentioned Trevor Gore. I'll look his book up. I've heard him referred to a lot by other people. I'm interested in hearing as many opinions on the subject as possible. And ultimately I know experience is the best teacher, so it may be a bit slower learning curve for me due to the fact that its a hobby.

thanks again.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
someone mentioned Trevor Gore. I'll look his book up. I've heard him referred to a lot by other people.
If Somogyi's books are a largely qualitative approach, Gore's books are a largely quantitative approach.

Quote:
I'm interested in hearing as many opinions on the subject as possible.
The potential downfall of gathering too many opinions is paralysis by analysis. One guy opines "white", another guy opines "black". Each works for the respective builder. You are left not knowing what to do, who's advice to follow. The old expression, "Too many cooks..."

Then there is the issue of subjective opinion versus objective evidence... The large gaps in what is actually known about guitar making are filled with unsubstantiated opinion ("belief") that "you do this" and "you get that result".
Old 05-11-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Guilty on both accounts I'm pretty new at this and it is a hobby, so I've only done like 2 repairs so I've clearly got lots to learn.

someone mentioned Trevor Gore. I'll look his book up. I've heard him referred to a lot by other people. I'm interested in hearing as many opinions on the subject as possible. And ultimately I know experience is the best teacher, so it may be a bit slower learning curve for me due to the fact that its a hobby.

thanks again.
I was not suggesting that you move from one book on theory to another. My point is that the main reason for bracing and most other aspects of guitar construction is structural: making the guitar stay together with its geometry adequately intact while not overbuilding it. Ervin mostly ignores that and treats bracing as if it is there just to shape the lower vibration modes. I have not read Gore's book (and have only skimmed Ervin's), but I have some reasons to doubt that it will get you the perspective I am talking about.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I was not suggesting that you move from one book on theory to another. My point is that the main reason for bracing and most other aspects of guitar construction is structural: making the guitar stay together with its geometry adequately intact while not overbuilding it. Ervin mostly ignores that and treats bracing as if it is there just to shape the lower vibration modes. I have not read Gore's book (and have only skimmed Ervin's), but I have some reasons to doubt that it will get you the perspective I am talking about.
I think you would like an afternoon reading Gore, this is very much his approach.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:48 PM

In addition to all this fine advice you may consider thinning the top around the perimeter of the lower bout to loosen it up a bit. Classical guitar makers have done this for many years and some steel string makers do now too. Typically youthin from an imaginary line parallel the bridge and just above it drawn to the edge of the lower bout all way round to the other side about 2inces thick

Do it before binding the instrument so that you can measure it and keep an eye on it. Tap and listen as you go. I always do it with a closed sound box.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair