The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:32 AM

To the OP:

Now that the wise-guys are done, I think you are getting a LOT of good insight. Keep it up. It's a journey, not a destination.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
I can understand the idea of wanting to make a board that can vibrate in a more pure manner. But I think you could have saved yourself quite a bit of time and money by running experiments on a loose soundboard vs. one attached on a traditional acoustic, without ever having to deal with all the carbon fiber molds.

Perhaps using equipment that could have measured the decay rates of vibrations from the loose top to a traditional top, to see if there was a significant difference. It is certainly possible that an attached top could prove to be superior in doing the job of vibrating along with the strings. And you would want to know that sooner than later.

That being said, i'm a firm believer that you can do all sorts of things in the building of a guitar and still wind up with good sound.

Good luck on your finished product.
The loosetop principle was abandoned in 2014 and was a completely different thread.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=359560.

I`m not sure how you connected that to this.

I thought the loose soundboard would work but it was just a dream that i sunk way too many resources in. I abandoned trying to be fancy and went back to pure function, thats how i arrived in this new Hybrid mocel.

The hybrid guitar uses a traditional principle of making sound (a soundbaord attached to the guitar). The loosetop was a theoretical experiment that failed. The R&D from the unibody went into this model. I will use composite component that has a back, sides, neck and head from a laminated composite component, but the front is completely made of wood (and traditional method of producing sound.

Last edited by littlesmith; 05-09-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
To the OP:

Now that the wise-guys are done, I think you are getting a LOT of good insight. Keep it up. It's a journey, not a destination.

Chris
Thanx. Yes, there is lots of good info now. I`ll get there one day. Everything is a bit slow now because the construction of the tooling takes as long as it takes. Once t is done and functions as it should the mold can make 1 body every 2 days (it could be 1 per day if you have a seperate resin injection mold and then transfer it to another mold with post heat curing, but im just doing 1 mold right now). This varnish needs to dry 72 hours on every coat but the plug is now sealed.

The next step is putting release wax on it, so i expect that the negative mold construction will start this week.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 AM

There WILL have to be sound clips!

The Acoustics

Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmith View Post
Thanx. Yes, there is lots of good info now. I`ll get there one day. Everything is a bit slow now because the construction of the tooling takes as long as it takes. Once t is done and functions as it should the mold can make 1 body every 2 days (it could be 1 per day if you have a seperate resin injection mold and then transfer it to another mold with post heat curing, but im just doing 1 mold right now). This varnish needs to dry 72 hours on every coat but the plug is now sealed.

The next step is putting release wax on it, so i expect that the negative mold construction will start this week.
Looks like you'll be laying some CF soon! For the top are you going to use x-bracing, or something like Ovation's fan brace?

I enjoy the journey as well, but it's always important to focus on the goal! That IS what we ultimately must achieve, especially if we have investors and customers. The journey is just a means to an end, but yes it should be enjoyed as well.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Looks like you'll be laying some CF soon! For the top are you going to use x-bracing, or something like Ovation's fan brace?

I enjoy the journey as well, but it's always important to focus on the goal! That IS what we ultimately must achieve, especially if we have investors and customers. The journey is just a means to an end, but yes it should be enjoyed as well.
The goal must be a direction, yet it often proves to be a shell-game. Not just in luthierie - in life

The Acoustics

Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
The goal must be a direction, yet it often proves to be a shell-game. Not just in luthierie - in life
The goal IS the direction, the journey merely takes you there!
Old 05-10-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post

Hi,

I have a bracing pattern from the 3 old prototypes, made from 0.6 millimeter thick carbon fiber strips (0,023inch). They are very flexible for the top to go up and down but strong in the lenght. This was sufficient for nylon, but it could not handle the steelstring string tension.

This is the pattern :

They will also have bracings made from wood. This pattern comes from the archtop carved top guitars :

The wooden bracing will be very small on nylon and larger on steelstring. Their purpose is just to make sure the top stays level. I am placing this wood where there was a deformity in the steelstring prototype.

I glued spruce and ceder together for bracings, these are cut from soundboard wood with a faulty fretslot blade that was too wide.

Last edited by littlesmith; 05-10-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:36 PM

Why two woods for the braces?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Op, you might want to resize that first pic...
Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Op, you might want to resize that first pic...
Yeah that happens when i take an URL from my facebook, how do you put a size?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Why two woods for the braces?
Hopefully this will give some of the brightness of spruce and some warmth from cedar, so basicly to promote a balanced soundprofile.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:58 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmith View Post
Yeah that happens when i take an URL from my facebook, how do you put a size?
The only way I know how to do it is through photobucket :/
Old 05-12-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
The only way I know how to do it is through photobucket :/
Yeah and posting from Facebook is also not ideal as over time the image is not guaranteed to stay in the same location...

So someone browsing this thread in 3 years time may not be able to see the images.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:42 PM

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
tools vs craftsmanship