The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-07-2019, 04:31 AM

My dad survived a pretty bad illness but as a result, lost his hearing. He now has a cochlear implant and can make out some words but not tones.. Though he's grateful to have that he is sad that he'll never hear music again. I've written a couple of albums since then that he'll never be able to hear.

Mom said he still sings old show tunes while washing the dishes, though.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
In my personal experience, I'm really tired of most of the music that was popular when I was in my teens. I've heard enough Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC etc. to last the rest of my life. I don't care for most of the new commercial radio fare either. But there is a wealth of great new music being made now if you are willing to look just a little. My tastes now run to Americana/newgrass/stringband groups like Fruition, Elephant Revival, Milkdrive, Jeffrey Martin, Greensky Bluegrass and many more.
I'm with you - I've heard more than enough classic rock to last me the rest of my life. It doesn't help that the radio plays a very limited selection from any artist.

My tastes have turned towards basically country, both new - Tyler Childers, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Ryan Bingham - and old/classic - Townes Van Zandt, Blaze Foley, Guy Clark. And bluegrass. And stringbands. And Americana.

We go to listen to some form of live music, from local friends, to regional acts, to national acts, several times a month.

There's a wealth of new music out there. Maybe, at 52, I'm just not old enough to hate it?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Then you could say why do young people hate big band music, be bop or swing or whatever. I'm just saying …….

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-08-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Gregory Alan Isakov, Dawes, Rainbow Kitten Surprise ... there are always new nuggets to be found for me. I think a lot of folks though have the same music collection they did in their mid 20's and have zero interest in looking for anything new as the role of music in their lives has faded. Many may say they don't like new music but in a lot of cases they aren't even listening.

There is a lot of new music I don't care for, but that has always been the case.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 10-08-2019, 07:39 AM

I can't say I don't like any new music, because some of it, I like.

I can't do hip hop, I dislike rap of any kind, modern pop, I'm not really a fan...

but then again, I never liked the Rolling Stones, don't think I have ever owned a Who album, and I didn't give two craps about the Beatles till I was in my 40s. (I'm 62 now) I'm still a big fan of Beethoven and Bach..

I like what I like, and I don't care when it was written.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:59 AM

I like that some younger people like older music. Some even go so far as to mimic it (think Ed Sheeran’s nod to Marvin Gaye) but I dislike sampling (which is not a new thing) because I feel like it doesn’t do the original work justice and sometimes flirts dangerously close to plagiarism.

As for newer music some of may be popular now only to fade into the dustbin eventually. I liken it to what Disco was in the 70s; a reimagining of rhythm and blues but with different marketing with a different target demographic. It’s style over substance - with just a few exceptions.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:54 AM

I don't hate the "music" as much as I hate the fact I cannot always avoid incidentally hearing that which i hate.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

The more I read the title of this thread the more the word "hate" bothers me. For that matter, as a guy pushing 70, I'm not real wild about the "old people" characterization either....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-08-2019, 10:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

There's a lot of good music out there - and you can find it from any decade. You can also find a lot of bad music as well. Popular music on the radio obviously, has commercial appeal. Most of it will not last or be remembered but there are still a lot of gems to be found throughout the year.

The point of this post is to highlight the inherent hypocrisy of individuals from an older generation outright dismissing a younger generation's music. In my opinion, the music from 30/40/50 years ago wasn't much different in quality from what we have today. Nevertheless, decades from now you'll still find the same type of wholesale critique - this time from my generation. In short, it's a human trait.

If there's a lesson here, then it is for all of us to learn to be more critical of our own bias and more open to new ideas and experiences.

A great quote from Thomas Szasz.

Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older persons, especially if vain or self-important, cannot learn at all.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 10-09-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
There's a lot of good music out there - and you can find it from any decade. You can also find a lot of bad music as well. Popular music on the radio obviously, has commercial appeal. Most of it will not last or be remembered but there are still a lot of gems to be found throughout the year.

The point of this post mostly lies in the hypocrisy of opinion from older generations toward the music of younger generations. Your music really wasn't any better but 30 years from now - most people in my generation will still think the new music is mostly crap. It truly is a human characteristic.

If there's a lesson here, then it is for all of us to learn to be more critical of our own bias and more open to new ideas and experiences.

Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older persons, especially if vain or self-important, cannot learn at all.
When I now hear a tune on the radio that I grew up with, I try to listen to it from the perspective of my parents' generation at the time this tune was new and getting top 40 air play. The music my parents' generation listened to such as big band or classical and much of their pop music, was written by professional songwriters and played by schooled/skilled musicians. You really can hear the difference and I can understand, now, their reaction to this then new music of my generation.

I have heard new music that I like, and new music that I don't like. The difference for me seems to be style. I never did like distorted guitars and pounding drums, and still don't today. I also don't care for music that consists of rhythm but no melody. So I don't care for music that features those things, but I never did. However, I can find music today that isn't like that, and I like it, just as I always have.

So, yes, I do have my prejudices, and can understand to some degree my parents' generation's attitude toward the music that was popular when I was growing up. However, my likes and dislikes are more about what the music is stylistically then its age.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I know everyone here is all about the music. But we also know that the music industry is built on new and novel sounds and images. It was even as it was being created. There are very knowledgeable, experienced people in the music industry scouring the earth for the next "thing". They don't care when, where, who, why or what. If they find something that gets traction they will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to promote it. The promotion focuses on the largest music buying sector. That would be the younger generation. The buying public has been sold on the notion that new is better. This has a large bearing on the question. Is it the music or the vulnerability and influence on the youngest sector of the music buying public that is the reason for this young or old question?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post

The point of this post mostly lies in the hypocrisy of opinion from older generations toward the music of younger generations. Your music really wasn't any better but 30 years from now - most people in my generation will still think the new music is mostly crap. It truly is a human characteristic.

This may be the best thing I will read today. Thank you for this, Simon.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

But I don't. As a musician it's kinda my job to be opened minded about new music.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:22 PM

I saw the amazing Peter Frampton last week, after having seen him before in 1975. One of the best shows I've ever seen, and the difference in the energy of the audience between 1975 and 2019 explained why I feel the way I do in the morning!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I saw the amazing Peter Frampton last week, after having seen him before in 1975. One of the best shows I've ever seen, and the difference in the energy of the audience between 1975 and 2019 explained why I feel the way I do in the morning!
But dooooooo you, DO YOU..... feel like I do?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic