The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Unhappy Buried one of my dogs today...

It’s been a tough day. My wife and I bought 2 peek-a-poos a couple years after we moved into our house. One boy, one girl. My oldest was 7 and my Daughter was 3, and my youngest son wasn’t here yet.

The boys name is Cooper, and our little girl was Minnie. We had them for almost for almost 8 years before adding the youngest little gal...a “chorkie”. Her name is Maizey. She was a birthday gift to me from my family. She’s about 5 lbs but thinks she’s a Pitbull lol.

We rescued Minnie who had kennel cough, amongst a host of other issues. We spent a lot of time and money but we were able to get her on pretty solid footing. She always had her own way about her, and wasn’t a very social pup. But she was sweet, and lovable.

Cooper and Maizey are far more social and even sleep with either us or in one of the kids room. Minnie had started slipping health wise about a year ago. No need for details there. Last night I came home from the office about 10 p.m. and she was laying on her pillow in the kitchen. We’d kept her there with baby gates up as she was blind and not able to control her bladder,etc.

I knew she was near death. She hadn’t left her pillow for 2 days and could barely walk. I laid down beside her and talked to her. I encouraged her that it was okay, and that we loved her very much. I was able to kiss her little head and at some point mustered the ability to go get my acoustic and play for her. She went to sleep.

I went to our room and wept a bit. Knowing the end was near. About 5 a.m. I woke and noticed my wife wasn’t in bed. I thought maybe she was in the restroom. I woke at 6:30 to her coming in to tell me Minnie had passed at 5:15. She’d woken up feeling like she was to go down and check on her. She was able spend a few moments with her also. Placed her little body in a towel and laid her in a box.

We had to tell the kids as they wanted to know where her pillow was. Needless to say it’s been an emotional day. I left the office at 12 and came home to bury her. I’m a bit surprised at the emotions considering she wasn’t as “social” as our other dogs. Maybe it’s because this is the first pet that we’ve lost. Regardless, I’ve been a member of this forum for a long time and consider many of you family.

Not sure why I shared this. I guess I felt I needed the therapy...and some encouragement. I’ve included a few pics of her. I’m sure there are others here who have been through this...any constructive advice as we navigate through this would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36ADA384-8DE7-49A8-BED5-0D5905BA3843.jpg (49.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg B9750428-4701-4A58-85D7-BE3100AFDD7E.jpg (51.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg D5853285-AD6D-4C88-B132-7BE7E6AABC16.jpg (99.8 KB, 144 views)
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 10-03-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:21 PM

I’m sorry for your loss. I’m not a big animal person but as with many things “there was this one” dog that I dearly loved and was a wonderful dog to boot. He died about seven years back. I still miss him but I fully believe I’ll get to see him again. Take the time to mourn your friend. Take comfort that you meant so much more to her than she did to you so she must has loved u all very much. Time will heals the wounds but they do still leave scars so just focus on the good times and b with your family. Some day maybe u can help another one along the way

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-03-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Edited topic
Old 10-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
I’m sorry for your loss. I’m not a big animal person but as with many things “there was this one” dog that I dearly loved and was a wonderful dog to boot. He died about seven years back. I still miss him but I fully believe I’ll get to see him again. Take the time to mourn your friend. Take comfort that you meant so much more to her than she did to you so she must has loved u all very much. Time will heals the wounds but they do still leave scars so just focus on the good times and b with your family. Some day maybe u can help another one along the way
Thank you, friend. I’m a Pastor and agree regarding seeing them again. I guess I’m so used to helping others through their times of grief that it’s odd for me to face it myself. Not that I haven’t felt for our parishioners or loved ones who’ve gone on. But it’s definitely different when it’s so close.

I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. Sincerely.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-03-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:58 PM

Condolences. It is a very sad day when you lose a pet that's been part of your family. Dogs especially are always happy to see you when you get home. They have a sense when it's been a rough day or week and seem to instinctively feel you need them then. The first pet loss is rough. I wish that I could tell you that it gets easier, but it doesn't seem to. Try to think of all the happy times and laughs they brought that fill your memories. Best of luck.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:58 PM

If there are no dogs (or cats) in Paradise, I'm not sure Paradise is what it's cracked up to be.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm very sorry to hear that, PT. Thoughts are with you.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:32 PM

So very sorry to read of your dog passing. I've gone through this myself as have a number of others here.
It really is a hard thing to deal with, as they are *family*, they give us unconditional love regardless.
I still miss my *Rocky*, he was a great Boston Terrier.
Hang in there, and know that time will make things a bit easier, and that your family gave Minnie another *chance* in her life, which I feel is great.
Take care.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Sad news, she looked like a sweet pup.

Condolences to you and yours.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:01 PM

So sorry for your loss. Having just lost our little Pom a few months ago, I know how much this hurts. I’m not ashamed to say I never thought I had that many years in me. Like you, I was able to spend some quality alone time with my baby before saying goodbye
Old 10-03-2019, 06:05 PM

Sorry for your loss. We had to lay our beloved border terrier Molly to rest on September 3rd. As she was in her 16th year she was a big part of our family history. I understand your grief and wish you and your family the best.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 PM

So sorry for your loss.
Been there several times, it is tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
If there are no dogs (or cats) in Paradise, I'm not sure Paradise is what it's cracked up to be.
And if dogs don't go to heaven, then I want to go where they go.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:40 AM

October 16, 1998, November 9, 2011 a couple of dates my wife and I won't forget. Effie and Gwendy were our 12 year old Dobermans. It takes time to get over the severe pain of loss,----- but it will! I feel badly for you and your wife!

Maybe a bit of levity will help. So I think of that story about a person at the "Pearly Gates" who St. Peter informs that they don't qualify but,-----"I have a spot in dog heaven if you are willing to throw a tennis ball for eternity".

Fog
Old 10-04-2019, 05:00 AM

Very sorry for your loss. Sad day indeed.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm sorry for your loss, PTony. They are like family members. Treat the loss to your family as such. Expect to feel down. It's normal.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Thank you to all for the kind words and advice. It’s definitely been difficult. The tears/emotion comes in waves. I find going into the kitchen to be difficult right now as it’s the last place she’d been for many weeks.

I’ve went back to her grave a couple times. And I will continue to. My wife has went on her own. I feel for her also. I know she’s struggling. I think we’re dealing with it at a different level than our kids as she found her, and I dug her grave and buried her. I even had a hard time looking at the shoes I wore to dig her grave. Silly I guess. Idk. Again, having never lost a pet this is new territory. Even at 44.

I look at her pictures often and find myself feeling bad for moments where I wished I’d of said/done more. Or the moments that I was cleaning up an accident on our new floor and feeling upset with her. I’m certain most feel these feelings in times like these. The “should of” moments.

I guess no one thinks that this day will come when they go to get their pet. Including me. The pain is certainly deep. And the joy in knowing that she’s not suffering anymore is great as well. She can see, she can run, she can hop up and down for her favorite “people” food. The opposite side of that is the guilt that I feel for feeling happy at times that she’s not suffering.

It certainly brings a new sensitivity, compassion, and awareness for those suffering the loss of a beloved pet. I’m sure it’s like anything else in that if you’ve not been there it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to really relate.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic