The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: Would we be better off without Smartphones?
Yes 39 42.86%
No 52 57.14%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm agin 'em.

I'm a motorist, a cyclist, and (sometimes) a pedestrian. I'm also a huming been which were, I understood, social animals.

I think it unarguable that so called smart phones have changed our way of relating to our own species.

I have a BIG problem with young mothers ignoring their children as they drag/push them along the road whilst staring at their left hand.

I really wonder about young couples seated in bars, restaurants ignoring each other and using their phones.

Despite the heavy penalites for driving whilst using them I still, frequently see people driving with one hand whilst gazing at their screen.

My wife has had two cars written off whilst parked by "phone/drivers."

I had one. It cost too m uch and kept telling me that "android has stopped .. OK?" No it wasn't so I had it given a prefrontal lobotomy so now all it does is make/receive calls (if I switch it on) and receive texts (which my bank/credit cards insist on sending. PAYG is fine.

I have a laptop and a pc. I only use them when at home. That's enough!
Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm agin 'em.
All for user MISuse reasons though.

The real question maybe should be "would we be better off without selfish/rude people?" as it's NOT the tech causing the issues mentioned in this thread.

Last edited by 619TF; 10-02-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:17 PM

They can be handy in many ways.
I just wish people were smarter about using them. You don't HAVE TO become a zombie just because you have one.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 10-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
There should be a third choice. Smartphones are a valuable tool that need to be used responsibly....
That's covered under "No".
Old 10-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Musical minimalist

I know I am - flip phone does everything I want.

When I walk down the street and observe all the zombies, I realize how lucky I am.

I have two clients in their 80's that can barely put them down, even during our session.

Sad state of affairs.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
That's covered under "No".
Not really. In the absence of using them in a more responsible manner, I'd say that we'd be better off without them.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-02-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I have two clients in their 80's that can barely put them down, even during our session.

Sad state of affairs.
Funny you should say this...I was at a chiropractor's office a couple of years ago and a lady in her retirement years complained about how much her thumbs ached from how much she played on her phone.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm waaaay better off having a smartphone than not and wouldn't want to go back to before we had them. But I run it, it does NOT run me...

BUT...

They seem to be doing far more damage to kids / teenagers than smoking pot ever did in my day, and I think there maybe ought to be an age limit like with booze and stuff. Maybe just let them have normal cell phones, but without anything else until at least 16 or 18 so they can know what actually human contact and communication is like before they get hold of the technology that can kill that in kids... Video games too, for that matter...

-Ray
Old 10-02-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
So you've never been out and stumped by a question or something you couldn't remember? You've never been lost? You've never needed to get in touch with someone quickly (as via text) even though you're not available to actually hold a conversation at that very moment?

There are SO many more reasons to own one than not. The above are just the ones I immediately thought of where it saved me. Yes, it's a hit financially but so is a car, a house, my guitar(s). There's just been so many occasions where the smartphone helped out that I rarely ever think "gosh it's too bad I HAVE a smartphone" that it outweighs the $ outlay. YMMV

As stated already, the problem isn't with the tool, it's the tool USING the tool!
Well, since you asked: No, I've never been in a situation where answering a question was so critical, or I was lost so hopelessly or needed to be in touch with anyone so quickly that the only reasonable solution would have been owning a smartphone.

As for there being "SO many more reasons to own one than not", perhaps there are SO many more reasons for YOU to own one than not, but I assure you that doesn't necessarily apply to me or my situation.

A smartphone is a convenience, I consider my car, my house and my guitars to be essentials in my life. I'll pick and choose my conveniences based on my personal hierarchy of needs, as should everyone. I'm happy for you that you have found that owning a smartphone is something that makes your life better. For me that's just not the case.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-02-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Not really. In the absence of using them in a more responsible manner, I'd say that we'd be better off without them.....
That's covered under "Yes".
Old 10-02-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Strikes me that these conversations are much like discussions of driving. Can't recall the comedian, maybe it was Carlin, but they said something to the effect of...

"Ever notice how everyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and everyone driving faster is a maniac?"
Old 10-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Well, I am 64 years old. My pocket computer, um... smart phone does a lot of wonderful, useful things for me. I don't do any social media. But in this world we now live in sometimes I find myself wishing for simpler times and I miss:

1. Not having instant accessibility. I miss the need for a pay phone.
2. I miss having to go to a library.
3. I miss having an antenae on my roof, being content with four or five channels, and TV was free.
4. I miss coming home and the first thing you did was check your answering machine for messages.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:41 PM

A few years back, when I was considering swapping my flip phone to a smart phone, the young salesclerk was running down a list of all the things I could do when I upgraded.

After about 5 minutes of features I saw little use for, I asked this:

"Okay, okay, but how is it as a phone?"
Blank stare with a "Huh?"

"Yes, how well does it work as a phone?
Does it get good reception in remote areas?"

Another blank stare from the salesclerk.

"Let me ask it another way.. how often do you use your smartphone as a phone?"

The answer?
He said, "About 2% of the time."

I use my phone about 98% of the time as a phone, an occasional text, maybe take a picture now and then.
So, I guess to each their own.
I still like to read books though.
Real books.. with paper pages.
I like the sound of turning a page in a book.

Last edited by woodbox; 10-02-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
A few years back, when I was considering swapping my flip phone to a smart phone, the young salesclerk was running down a list of all the things I could do when I upgraded.

After about 5 minutes of features I saw little use for, I asked this:

"Okay, okay, but how is it as a phone?"
Blank stare with a "Huh?"

"Yes, how well does it work as a phone?
Does it get good reception in remote areas?"

Another blank stare from the salesclerk.

"Let me ask it another way.. how often do you use your smartphone as a phone?"

The answer?
He said, "About 2% of the time."
You make it sound like a bad thing? Sounds like the salesperson uses the phone app more than most people.

As the comedian Gary Gilman quipped, “Calling it a phone is like calling a Lexus convertible a cup holder”.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Arguing against them is silly when you consider they are mature technology and the only computer many have. Most do not abuse them. Also keep in mind being average doesn't mean one is 1/2 way smart or special. I believe the people who use them poorly are the same people who've never been good examples of homo sapiens.

We might have a worldview and gap issue here too. When I travel in other countries or look at the way our employees and many kids use them it's not mostly about Facebook or snapchat.

Concerned about real problems? Look at stats for car accidents, some diseases or look in the mirror. If you're average your own poor shape might be a bigger problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic