The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-22-2012, 11:49 PM

Default "Duct Tape"? Do you believe this guy?..

Is this guy tripping or what?

I mean, couldn't this Arch Top have been better accessed, and possibly repaired, untouched by Bam-Bam Rubble, of the Flintstones?

Maybe it's just a staged video? Who knows...what I do know, is Gary Busey here on the video...Ain't no Jimmy Page....

what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVBJx...feature=fvwrel
Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Bummer. He poorly represented Guitars, Duct tape and legalization lol.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 AM

He could at least smooth out the duct tape.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:59 AM

This reminded me of two things: First, when I was building and repairing in San Diego back in 1980, a fella brought in a guitar that he'd paid $125 for at a flea market. It turned out to be a 1927 00-45. Some Phillistine had converted it to a Hawaiian style guitar and nailed on a tailpiece to replace the pin bridge. Took a lot of tlc to get it back close to original.

This also reminded me of a segment in the documentary "Leo Kottke: Home and Away", that was filmed in his basement, "Where guitars go when they've been bad." He showed his Martin long scale 12 string conversion that he'd stepped on just before going onstage in London. He had 'repaired' the back with duct tape. Of course, he also sawed down the peghead so the instrument would fit a standard case, essentially converting it to an eight or nine string guitar. Don't know how this exactly correlates to the video. Maybe that musicians shouldn't try to be repair technicians. Then again--reputedly Kottke liked his pot, and apparently the Youtube poster is a great proponent of the herb. Maybe the moral is don't toke and tech. Either way an entertaining video.

Last edited by mb propsom; 07-23-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Is he drunk or high? Because it would sure explain why duct tape was used to fix it.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Right before Rory Block was to play her prototype model ( a favorite of mine) at a Martin Clinic it came apart. A famous cowboy offered to let her use his priceless guitar. She replied thank you but I bet you've never seen me play. (Check her out if you don't know what I mean).
I think it was Dick Boak that Duct taped it and she went on!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Right before Rory Block was to play her prototype model ( a favorite of mine) at a Martin Clinic it came apart. A famous cowboy offered to let her use his priceless guitar. She replied thank you but I bet you've never seen me play.
Hah! Well, kudos to Rory for telling him that - she beats the fire out of a guitar (and her hands)! I still remember talking to her after a concert in the middle of a tour - her thumb was dripping blood. I asked what she did to take care of that. She said she just wraps it up each night and carries on the rest... Tough lady! I love her music.

George
Old 07-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinminer View Post
Is he drunk or high? Because it would sure explain why duct tape was used to fix it.
No, probably just a student of Red Green:

from whom I learned that one can fix 99 percent of broken things with duct tape, duct tape, duct tape, and occasionally vice grips and WD-40. And he's right!

But I do draw the line at mending guitars, small children, and animals. For them I use super glue.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
No, probably just a student of Red Green:

from whom I learned that one can fix 99 percent of broken things with duct tape, duct tape, duct tape, and occasionally vice grips and WD-40. And he's right!

But I do draw the line at mending guitars, small children, and animals. For them I use super glue.

Red Green.,. my kinda guy... Super Glue!!! Now that was funny
Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 AM

Whats the saying?

"If it can't be fixed with duct tape, super glue, or WD-40, it's not fixable" ? or something like that? haha

I, myself, prefer to use gorilla tape over duct tape. Waterproof, 3 cloth layers, and about 3x as strong adhesives. I love it. haha
early 1930's A-Type mandolin (restored)

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 07-24-2012, 03:20 PM

a good toolbox should contain three things
1 Duct tape
2 WD40
3 Hammer

if it moves and it isnt supposed to use the duct tape. if it doesnt move and it needs to spray it with wd40 and hit it with the hammer.

clearly something on that guitar was moving when it wasnt supposed to

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair