The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-07-2020, 10:30 AM

Default "Sashay On The Chenango" Original fingerstyle duet

Good morning AGF!
Well, here's a tune from a number of years ago. On AGF we often hear how helpful, important and enjoyable it is to play with someone else and I could not agree more. For about 7 years I had just that....an informal guitar partner (Mo) who shared a focus of creating original material. We'd gather just once a week for a few hours and see what came about......our styles being quite different from one another and yet, they also seemed to mesh beautifully. Sometimes I'd start with something and he'd add in.........other times it was the other way around. Mo played a nice rhythm in addition to fingerstyle so that added nicely to our creations.
Sashay was my original to start, but became what it is through collaboration. I'm not even sure of the recording set -up, but it was much less than today tunes. The Chenango is a river in NY State.....and as usual, my wife helped with naming this tune as it reminded her of this place she knew in her younger years.

We're not playing together any longer........just life's pathways changing, but we're in touch fairly often. Just thought I'd upload this one this a.m. for you all!
Regards,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 02-07-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Hi Fred!

Well, that was cool! Very nice!

The character of your recorded sound reminds me of my own experience jamming with a guitar partner way back about 50 years ago when I was just out of college in a brand new job down in Dallas, TX. I had a Teac stereo reel-to-reel tape machine and a couple of Shure stage mics, SM58, I think. By today's standards it wasn't much, but it seemed like heaven at the time.

I remember knowing then how rare it was to find someone who I could really enjoy playing guitar with, but when I look back on it from where I am today, I could have never realized that it was one of the few times in my life when this would happen.

Thanks for sharing this Fred. It brings back memories for me...

- Glenn
Old 02-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Very nice Fred. Love the feel, sounds like an old big band swing tune in one section
Old 02-08-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Fred!

Well, that was cool! Very nice!

The character of your recorded sound reminds me of my own experience jamming with a guitar partner way back about 50 years ago when I was just out of college in a brand new job down in Dallas, TX. I had a Teac stereo reel-to-reel tape machine and a couple of Shure stage mics, SM58, I think. By today's standards it wasn't much, but it seemed like heaven at the time.

I remember knowing then how rare it was to find someone who I could really enjoy playing guitar with, but when I look back on it from where I am today, I could have never realized that it was one of the few times in my life when this would happen.

Thanks for sharing this Fred. It brings back memories for me...

- Glenn
Thank so much, Glenn!! Glad this could bring back some of the memories! Yes, finding that compatible person where you feel as though something good could really emerge in some more serious fashion is elusive and special. When I first started with Mo, it was kind of a "blind date" thing.......you just really didn't know how it would work.....and we'd been talking for years about doing some playing together, but each of us didn't really have a sense of the other and so it didn't happen for quite some time.
Of course I did play in a folk group for 4 years in college......also deeply special, especially when we started to write and arrange our own songs. Only a few times in life for this kind of creative connection....for sure!
Thanks again, Glenn!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 02-08-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Very nice Fred. Love the feel, sounds like an old big band swing tune in one section
Thank you, Bob!! Glad you enjoyed....and thanks also for posting a "like" on Soundcloud!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell