The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-12-2019, 07:35 AM

Default What about cables?

Been playing amplified for a bit but I have to say I really know very little about cables and electric current. I know to keep your tongue out of the wall socket.....
I have a ton of cables but cannot say I know anything about them. I have tip/ring and tip/ring/sleeve, XLR, Instrument and speaker along with various combinations of connections. Where is a good source of info regarding this issue without getting lost in tech-speak? Being old I only have a limited supply of un-used brain cells and I am trying to conserve them......
I still don’t get balanced vrs unbalanced......
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 AM

I wouldn't get to hung up on this. The best rule of thumb with any instrument cable is don't buy cheap ones. Most cheap cables aren't shielded and that will bring unwanted noise into your signal chain.

XLR cables, which are balanced, are typically used for microphones. A normal 1/4" instrument cable sometimes called a TS cable is what the bulk of people will be using with guitars and pedals and are unbalanced. It starts to get a little tricky when you get into TRS cables and why people need them for certain things so I won't get into that.

My most exotic cable is an XLR to 1/4" TRS that I use to provide phantom power to a pickup system in a guitar. A 1/4" TRS cable is capable of supplying phantom power but most mixers, amps etc don't supply phantom power to the 1/4" jacks which is why you need an XLR connection.

If I were you and wanted to read up on some of this stuff just goto google and search away. Here's one link that will give you some more info on the different types of cables:

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/a-gui...able-connector
Old 07-12-2019, 09:20 AM

jjbigfly, GuitarLuva's link is a good one covering connector types. I'll second the advice on not buying cheap cables, been there and done that. I'm currently using Kirlin cables (1/4" and XLR - mic & mixer to powered speakers). I bought my first Kirlin a couple years ago and could tell the improvement in sound from what I'd been using. To me they are kind of a mid price cable. I can't justify spending more and keep what I was using for spares.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:21 AM

Cables are so 2005!!

Go Wireless and smell the freedom!
60 bucks..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QK5GT4G...8-dd02810e0b22

Last edited by rmp; 07-12-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:06 PM

Thank you for the information. Now I can get on with my Hundreds of dollars a year music Career......
Old 07-13-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Cables are so 2005!!

60 bucks..
That sounds like 21st century thinking. Without cables, you just lessen things to trip over and keep you on your toes.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:10 AM

I have few guitars (3), one amp (Daedalus). After years of GAS I end up minimizing my gear but having the best I can afford. For what concerns cables, I have 3 cables in total (2 instrument, 1 speaker) and I choosed Vovox from Switzerland. Very expensive, but indestructible and I am sure I am not loosing any quality in my signal. If you have high quality gear, it would be a shame to use low/mid quality cables and not know if they are detrimental to the sound or not. I saw people with 7000$ guitars into 5000$ amplification systems using 10$ cables (and long too). For me it is like putting cheap tyres on a Ferrari.. My 2 cents.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:47 PM

"Hi, my name is jay and I used to use cheap cables..."
Until I learned better on this fine website of information. ;-) I switched to Mogami cables about a year ago and have been more than happy with my choice. They are quiet, rugged and just plain something I know I can depend on, or rather, not worry about. Sometimes the expense is worth it.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 07-13-2019, 01:05 PM

In 50 years of playing I have had exactly one cable that affected the flow of electrons in a manner I could discern. The aforementioned cable cut highs to a degree I found objectionable. I use this cable for bass.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 07-13-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Cables are so 2005!!

60 bucks..
And welcome to the ball and chain of batteries.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 07-14-2019, 11:52 PM

I came across a cable test a few years back that tested various price points in cables. Their conclusion: there was little to no difference in sound quality coming through the cable. The biggest difference was the connectors. The more expensive cables had better connectors that could last longer and withstand frequent gigging.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:56 AM

I agree - buy decent but not mad expensive cables. For d
Martin J40
Old 07-15-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
And welcome to the ball and chain of batteries.
No, not exactly.

The Getaria I added the link for comes with lithiums and charges fully in 20/30 minutes, and will run for 4 hours. USB cable provided charges both simultaneously.

Another example is a Line 6 G10, that uses AA, you can buy the Energizer charge pack with 4 batteries for under 20 bucks. I've used the same batteries in rotation for well over 2 years. Never bought another set AA battery for the G10.

I use both aforementioned all the time.

I've had the Line 6 for a few years, the Getaria for about a week, I'm blown away by how good this 59 dollar wireless setup works. And if a band mate decided to use one too, they will figure out the channels to pair on and wont conflict with each other (tested and proven with the other guitar player in my band)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:59 AM

The cable quality and length can make quite a difference on low output passive pickups. It's not just the connectors.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The cable quality and length can make quite a difference on low output passive pickups. It's not just the connectors.
absolute truth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification