The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone determined whether or not Martin Lifespans are being discontinued or will they be available? I'm not sure if its clear whether the new Martin Authentic (MA) strings are replacing some of my old favorites?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-08-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
Curious if they are actually any different than the prior versions. At least they aren't asking $40 for them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I still don't know exactly how they are supposed to be different. I haven't seen an official announcement yet. I will have to go to the official Martin website.
One thing that is different from the original SP version is that the new "Authentic" version is now tin plated on all the core wire, versus a bronze coating on the previous wire.

Below is how Martin described the previous bronze coated SP strings...

"In addition, both the core wires and the plain strings are plated with a smooth, acoustic bronze finish. Though this golden bronze finish will enhance the beauty of your guitar, its purpose is much more functional—to prolong brightness, guitar string life, and provide superior tonal quality to meet the high expectations of demanding musicians."

I guess they have now decided "tin plated" is the better option.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 10-08-2018, 06:37 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Here are the specs on the new strings. I’m in day three with the treated version 80/20 12s (MA140T) on my D-41. Still haven’t lost any of their liveliness. The real test will be how long this nice tone last..

Non-treated:

Treated:
I wonder how the untreated PB light/mediums feel. I might try a set or two.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-08-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Martin Authentic Acoustic Strings

The present day Lifespan strings will not be available any longer after the retailers sell out their inventory. Sadly, the new Lifespan 2.0 series will replace the Lifespan P.B. strings sold presently. I feel the new Lifespan 2.0 are not as good as the old Lifespans but I have only tested the medium variety (MA550T v s Lifespan 7200).
Old 10-09-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclonegs2003 View Post
The present day Lifespan strings will not be available any longer after the retailers sell out their inventory. Sadly, the new Lifespan 2.0 series will replace the Lifespan P.B. strings sold presently. I feel the new Lifespan 2.0 are not as good as the old Lifespans but I have only tested the medium variety (MA550T v s Lifespan 7200).
Is this the same for other strings, like uncoated 80/20 M140? If so, I need to buy more of them NOW when they are yet available.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

I've used Ej17s for ages but swapped out to light gauge 1st and 2nd.

After resisting the bluegrass gauge for ages I've decided t try them again (lighter G string).

Then these new Martins come out , which seem to be a little cheaper than the other Martins and they don't do a PB bluegrass set.

I've just looked at the website of the largest online string dealer in the UK - Strings Direct - not the cheapest but the largest selection and the fastest delivery.

As there are no PB bluegrass gauge I looked at 13-56 sets

Avoiding "treated" strings, presumably that means coated, they offer :

M550 - £6
MSP4200 - £8 - "Studio"
MEC13 - £8 - Claptons
MSP4250 - £9 - Studio (?)
FX - £9 - Flex core
M2200 - £8 - Marquis
SP - £9 - Authentic
Marquis - £8 - Authentic
Lifespan - £13- Authentic.

I bet the retailers like Strings Direct must be going crazy -

What IS the difference between all these different labels or ar they all the same with different names?

On this video this chap clearly says "The string line had become so complex and not easy to understand" (Tell me about it )
So what do they do? They add a whole new three types?

Does ANYBODY understand what all this is about?

Here's that video :
Old 10-09-2018, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

They haven't 'added a whole new three types', SM, the new lines replace the old ones. When the retailers sell out of the old classes, they will be no more - the new lines will take their place.

I've got a set of the 'Treated' PB 12-54s on my HD at the moment. Didn't like them the first day - not 'warm' enough - but they've improved this past few days and I'm starting to like them.

FWIW, the arthritis in my hand has made me give up on 13-56s, hence the Lights on my Dreads now. The Mediums sounded better, but my hands feel better with Lights.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-14-2018, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

So far, I like ‘em. They sound rich with good sustain to my ears. Maybe slightly warmer then most other strings just out of the pack. Here they are, one day after a 3-hour gig.

1998 OM-28V, Charmed Life CLT-75 pick.

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

Last edited by MaurysMusic; 10-14-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:31 AM

Yesterday (10/18) I stopped at the GC store in Reno and decided to pick up a set of the new authentic strings for my Eastman E20OM as the SC Parabolic light tension were losing their tone after 6 months of playing as a stop gap until i go to Santa Cruz for Thanksgiving to pick up a couple of sets of the SC's at Sylvan Music.
I bought a set Of MA540PB 12's brought them home and installed them. After tuning them to pitch I didn't really like the tone or sound as they sounded flat. This morning i played the guitar and it was a huge change for the better putting out the warm sound that I've come to enjoy from the old M3100. The new strings seemed to sound fuller without making the guitar sound bright.

On further investigation i discovered that i had bought 92/8 Pb's instead of the 80/20 I was looking for, as it doesn't say anywhere on it's package whether it's 92/8 or 80/20 except for the part number. I should have bought MA140 for the 80/20's. But they sound good and I'll leave them on and see what happens and long they hold their tone.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 10-26-2018, 11:14 PM

Purchased a few sets of 12/54 this week and a set is going on my Jeff Tweedy today . Looking forward to hearing the results . Normally use untreated SPs hoping they last just as long
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 10-27-2018, 06:30 AM

I have read all the posts and I'm getting the impression that these are a little less bright - maybe somewhere between the bright strings and the Retro's?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Default Anyone tested the new Martin Authentic strings?

Well put these on this morning , first thoughts bright just after tuning . The strings tuned up to pitch quickly and really held after a few stretches . I left the guitar on the stand for a few hours then retuned for the first play .

Playability- the strings 12/54 uncoated PB felt really smooth and easy to fret . The tension felt a bit tighter compared to the normal SP but I liked that . The intonation was spot on

Tone - well after the first impression of being rather bright I felt that the wound strings sounded really smooth and mellow that suited the thumbpick rather well . The two unwound strings have a real punch and attack that a really love .

Appearance- The new strings look great and the double wound portion by the ball end seems thinner that allows the bridge pins to fit a bit better . Now the downside I really liked the finish on the old SP plain strings ( they suited the burst finish on the Tweedy ) rather well but that's just looks . I bought three sets and really like them and would recommend
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 10-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclonegs2003 View Post
I will enjoy the "old Lifespans" ...my remaining 3 sets. They came stock with the 2016 000-18. I have yet to try any other strings.

Luckily there are new strings coming out all the time. Thanks for the informed info.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve had the “treated” 80/20 lights on my D-41 for about a month now and love them. Seem a bit warmer than the earlier version...even when first installed. Haven’t been a big fan of Martin strings...but these may convert me.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:00 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I bought two light sets of the "silked." A PB set and an 80/20 set. I played a bit on the PB set tuned to cgdgcd (Seagull). No big deal, just normal strings. I haven't played the 80/20 set which I put on my J-45 yet. Maybe later or tomorrow.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion