The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 AM

Default Strings ringing when strumming

Not fret buzz or anything. I notice that when I'm strumming and changing chords there may be a string that doesn't get fretted and it just stands out. "ENNNNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH". I have no idea if anybody else can hear it but I can.

I know I can palm mute (I'm not good a that yet) but when you are working a strum pattern I'm thinking I want the chords to keep sounding as I'm going through the song, is that right? Instead of muting them each strum or every so often. Or not?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:43 AM

I'll get that occasionally if I don't fret cleanly, especially when playing fingerstyle. Usually, it's either that I'm not pressing down enough on all the strings (like on a barre chord) or if a finger is slightly out of place and the next string buzzes on a finger nail.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I'll get that occasionally if I don't fret cleanly, especially when playing fingerstyle. Usually, it's either that I'm not pressing down enough on all the strings (like on a barre chord) or if a finger is slightly out of place and the next string buzzes on a finger nail.
Good thinking but I don't think it's that. It is a string that I have NOT fretted over the course of a few chord changes. I can run through the progression then touch that string to be sure it's the one I'm thinking of.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Good thinking but I don't think it's that. It is a string that I have NOT fretted over the course of a few chord changes. I can run through the progression then touch that string to be sure it's the one I'm thinking of.
Sympathetic vibrations.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 AM

I think the point being made is that the open string continues to ring between chords when the other strings stop when the chord changes. For example the G string when changing from C to G or the D string when changing from G to D. This makes one constant ringing string which sounds like a drone.
If it is standing out it may be that there is a tone issue between fretted and open strings.
Check that the fretted notes are ringing clear, if they are muted the open string will ring out above them. Try a capo. Mute the string between chords.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
I think the point being made is that the open string continues to ring between chords when the other strings stop when the chord changes. For example the G string when changing from C to G or the D string when changing from G to D. This makes one constant ringing string which sounds like a drone.
If it is standing out it may be that there is a tone issue between fretted and open strings.
Check that the fretted notes are ringing clear, if they are muted the open string will ring out above them. Try a capo. Mute the string between chords.
Ah, I understand now! My apologies to the way above person who was trying to say that. And yes that's what I mean.

I will pay attention to my fretting and try the capo.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:19 AM

Default Strings ringing when strumming

Making clean transitions can be tricky to master. Instead of muting the strings at a transition, you could try letting more strings ring out. The time it takes to switch between chords is short, usually a 16th of a measure. It would be less distracting to completely release the fingers that are switching and let the up strum resonate more strings, usually the top 3 or 4. (The thinnest strings). Even if all of those strings are not "in key" with the song, it won't matter because it won't last long at all. The purpose is to keep consistent sound coming from the strings, rather than having the moment of silence, or that one odd ball string by itself.
Of course, this is only practical when playing at full speed. If you are practicing slowly, it won't sound right. Keep that in mind.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 10-06-2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 10-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Not fret buzz or anything. I notice that when I'm strumming and changing chords there may be a string that doesn't get fretted and it just stands out. "ENNNNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH". I have no idea if anybody else can hear it but I can.
This sounds to me like a really common effect, which rarely causes any problem worth addressing (IMO).

It's a problem when the string in question is out of key, but if you're using open position chords (the usual cowboy chords, C, G, D, A, E), then any open strings that are part of one chord, will not sound wrong if they carry on vibrating over another chord, or between changes. (E.g. in the key of E major, the D string is out of key, but it's always covered by your fingers on the chords, so while it may be heard if you lift your fingers to change chords, it will be muted as you play the next shape.)

It's even common for players to strum open strings while changing chords - eg on the last upstroke of a bar while their hands are moving from shape to shape - and it doesn't sound wrong (even though they're essentially hitting a non-chord). It might not even sound wrong when the strings are out of key, if it's quick.
Quote:
I know I can palm mute (I'm not good a that yet) but when you are working a strum pattern I'm thinking I want the chords to keep sounding as I'm going through the song, is that right? Instead of muting them each strum or every so often. Or not?
Right. Being able to mute chords is an important skill, of course, because sometimes you want long chords, sometimes short (staccato) ones. But you rarely need to worry about muting rogue strings - unless (as I say) the string note is not in the key you're playing in (which means you're probably playing all barre chords, and taking your hand off to change). As you say, while you notice it, others may not. (And if you struggle to mute it, if may affect the smoothness of your intended chords.)

Can you give an example of a typical chord change where this happens, and what string is ringing?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Reaux View Post
Making clean transitions can be tricky to master. Instead of muting the strings at a transition, you could try letting more strings ring out. The time it takes to switch between chords is short, usually a 16th of a measure. It would be less distracting to completely release the fingers that are switching and let the up strum resonate more strings, usually the top 3 or 4. (The thinnest strings). Even if all of those strings are not "in key" with the song, it won't matter because it won't last long at all. The purpose is to keep consistent sound coming from the strings, rather than having the moment of silence, or that one odd ball string by itself.
Of course, this is only practical when playing at full speed. If you are practicing slowly, it won't sound right. Keep that in mind.
Slowly is all I got!

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:10 AM

Could be sitaring. Sounds kinda like a sitar. The strings fitting too loosely in the nut slots can cause this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write