The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Default Luna guitars

Hi

Can you guys tell me your opinions on luna guitars?

I know they are mostly made in China but I heard some are made in Japan, does anyone know which particular models are made in Japan?

What about the sound both acoustic and/or plugged in?

Thank you so much !
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM

I will behave myself and pass on this one other than to say like any guitar, they have a place in the eco-system and I am not a fan.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

I know essentially nothing about them.

I think at some point, they somehow got affiliated with Dean guitars. I think now they have the same owner.

Having a pre-teen daughter with an interest in guitars I did a lot of research. I am actually impressed with the thoughtfulness that goes into Daisy Rocks guitars. I played some electrics and they are not toys. Their biggest detriment is that they are "pretty" so people think of them as toys, but they are really good entry-level electric guitars specifically designed ergonomically for young girls. Totally credible and very admirable with good products.
No, seriously - they are good electric rocker guitars. If they weren't sparkly pink (and shaped like ladybugs) *I* would own one. Just kidding - those are really good "girl guitars".

I get the impression Luna is trying to be seen in a similar way.

I don't know if they are succeeding or not....

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I know essentially nothing about them.

I think at some point, they somehow got affiliated with Dean guitars. I think now they have the same owner.

Having a pre-teen daughter with an interest in guitars I did a lot of research. I am actually impressed with the thoughtfulness that goes into Daisy Rocks guitars. I played some electrics and they are not toys. Their biggest detriment is that they are "pretty" so people think of them as toys, but they are really good entry-level electric guitars specifically designed ergonomically for young girls. Totally credible and very admirable with good products.

I get the impression Luna is trying to be seen in a similar way.

I don't know if they are succeeding or not....
I agree with this.....not bad sounding for the money and much more decorative than the average beginner guitar.

I think maybe they need to move up in quality to the $500-$600 range and keep the style.....maybe a Seagull Luna.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 PM

I have one tune that was recorded on my Luna Muse 12-string. I was plugged in for the recording. Here is the thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...who+is+in+love

Almost any guitar sounds great plugged in. Live, it was okay.

My advice is that you go to a local music store and try some. That is the only way you'll know the truth. Ask also if you can plug in.

noman

Undefined People Music Site
Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

I have a friend that bought one for his wife. I played it and although I wouldn't burst his bubble, I didn't really like it. It was a dread and sounded pretty "tinny" and thin, and while the strings looked newer, the guitar felt kind of dead. I have absolutely no idea what it cost, but I put it at only a little bit better than an Esteban I purchased. This is not a joke or poke at Esteban guitars...I bought it because, when my kids were much younger they wanted to play along with me on my guitar. That really meant that they wanted to beat on it and do things I wouldn't want done to my better guitars. The Esteban came my way for about $80 and it was more than fine for me to play when they were likely to pound on it. It made music, they liked it, and my guitars stayed protected.

Anyway, I'd sooner suggest you look for a good used deal on a better guitar unless it meets a very specific need.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison314 View Post
I agree with this.....not bad sounding for the money and much more decorative than the average beginner guitar.

I think maybe they need to move up in quality to the $500-$600 range and keep the style.....maybe a Seagull Luna.
Frankly, I like them fine. The ones I played were playable and had personality. No reason a guitar needs to be a boring thing.

They are inexpensive too.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 PM

I had one of their parlors. It was 3/4 size Luna Muse Safari. For $100, I cant imagine getting anything more decent at the price paid. It was one fine cheap guitar and worth every penny. Ended up selling it for an art and lutherie ami parlor where I started getting more into the realm of a "real" guitar. At that price, you could do worse.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 PM

They are designed to be "pretty" first and sound good as a distant second.

That having been said, the ones I have played which had solid tops actually sounded pretty good for a solid top / laminate sides instrument, especially at the price point. The all laminate ones sound pretty dead.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
They are designed to be "pretty" first and sound good as a distant second.

That having been said, the ones I have played which had solid tops actually sounded pretty good for a solid top / laminate sides instrument, especially at the price point. The all laminate ones sound pretty dead.
I'll chime in and say that I've played a few that I thought sounded quite good, though I've yet to encounter one that sounds as good as any basic solid top/laminated back and sides Seagulls.

But there are definitely worse choices than Luna instruments out there.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-04-2014, 11:49 PM

Luna Guitars is making an effort to expand their product line. I found out that they were making solid wood guitars.

http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticp...tistseries.php

So that's why it's necessary to try them out. Here's their site for a full lineup:

http://www.lunaguitars.com/TOC/acoustictoc.php

Undefined People Music Site
Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 AM

My daughter has had this one for about three years. http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/aurmmm.php

http://www.musicpower.com/itemdesc.a...GLUKK-MERMAID#

It was inexpensive, and the sound is pretty dead, but it's easy to play and she loves it. She's outgrown it in the last several months, so we are looking for a replacement.

At GC a while back, she played one of the Henna line from Luna (I think it had a spruce top). I didn't play it, but it had a striking look and the sound was notably better than her Mermaid Mini.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 AM

The Luna is no better or worse than other guitars in the same price range.
If you play a bunch of entry level laminate guitars, blindfolded you'd be hard pressed to identify which is which.

Luna's are pretty. I've played a couple, and was put off by the girly looks, as I feel I'm a manly man, and way too big to be playing a cute guitar.

Bit if I had a young daughter, I'd probably buy her one, and get it set up.
Then if she stuck with it, move up to an instrument at a higher price/quality point.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that lots more guitars are bought than are played.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 AM

Default Just

Just traded an Alvarez dread I never played for a Luna Americana Folk , Concert body, which I've never had . plan it for gigging ,as a lil smaller than a dread, lighter , Beautiful semi jumbo fret and nice fingerboard . herringbone edging plays very easily and sounds nice thru amp with auto B Band preamp w /phase Shut off when Tuner is on , nice feature . Think it has 12s , which Im changing to 11s soon . AMF100 is the model MSRP $419 Sounds nice and full, even had to back BASS WAY Down as was distorting Bass Speaker ..front strap clip already installed under fretboard where meets body . As with any other guitar , some sound Good, some great ,some just OK . Fakey bone nut and saddle not plastic ..looks put together very well... I like the body shape getting away slowly from dreads...but will always have a few
Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 AM

I went to GC one day and was trying out a range of guitars. Of the low end guitars, the Luna Dragonfly was the best sounding that day. The fit and finish was good. I was tempted to buy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion