The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Default Playing out, open mics, and for others

I was thinking this may be a useful topic for others in the same boat. I heard a Jerry Garcia interview years ago where he talked about live music verses studio practice. Basically he said if you just practice and play for your self you are playing in a vacuum. Playing live you improvise, change things on what the crowed reacts to and just spontaneous stuff happens. Im not the kind of person who likes to get attention or show off, not that I am that good at all. I am having a hard time figuring why I should get up on stage and play some songs for folks. There are some open mics in the area that are pretty good, I have played at in the past. Maybe I did a good job at killing my ego or I just have stage freight. I know this sounds silly but I am wondering why others play live.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM

First, it's fun.

Second, music is meant to be shared. It's power grows in a communal setting.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
I was thinking this may be a useful topic for others in the same boat. I heard a Jerry Garcia interview years ago where he talked about live music verses studio practice. Basically he said if you just practice and play for your self you are playing in a vacuum. Playing live you improvise, change things on what the crowed reacts to and just spontaneous stuff happens. Im not the kind of person who likes to get attention or show off, not that I am that good at all. I am having a hard time figuring why I should get up on stage and play some songs for folks. There are some open mics in the area that are pretty good, I have played at in the past. Maybe I did a good job at killing my ego or I just have stage freight. I know this sounds silly but I am wondering why others play live.
Why wouldn't you?
Why would you not want to?

It's not about showing off; it's about sharing a kind of primal experience, communicating expressions in a proto-language that can't be communicated any other way.
Music is a social art; Garcia is right, it makes no sense playing for yourself alone, any more than talking to yourself does.
It's true that playing music does have a kind of therapeutic value for the individual; that's OK. But then I guess talking to yourself does too...

If you enjoy listenng to music, then you are already involved in its social, communicative function. Someone else has made that music, and it's transmitting its effects to you.
For any non-musician, this is inevitably a one-way street - at least when you listen to recordings. But for a musician, it should be two-way. You may not want to play live, but you want others to hear what you play (if you don't think you're good enough, that just proves it - if you wanted no one to hear you, ever, then you wouldn't care if you were crap). Maybe you just want to record, and be anonymous when people hear it: that's fine, although you're missing out big time on music's real primal function. (What was music all about before recording was invented?)
IOW, when you go to a live music performance (as a listener), a lot of it is about being there with a bunch of other people, all sharing the same experience. You don't get that with your iPod. In fact you don't get that with anything else...

And when the performance contains an element of improvisation, then it really is unique. That's what makes it special - it's not just reproducing a recording. There is 2-way interaction between performer and audience. Any performer will tell you that audience response is critical. Even for pros, it's not about the money. Something happens between musicians and crowd, as well as (in a band) between the musicians themselves.

Ask yourself: when you go to a live music event, how different is it from listening to recordings, on hi-fi, TV, MP3 player, or whatever? Do you think live music is inferior in some way? or superior? or a mix of both?
Think about the ways in which it's better - and you have your answer. (If you don't think it's better in any way, then your reluctance to play live is well-founded. Otherwise... )
Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
Second, music is meant to be shared. It's power grows in a communal setting.
Bingo. Music is meant to be shared. This doesn't mean you have to be on a stage. You can jam, or film videos to post on youtube, or whatever. But you'll never experience the full power and enjoyment that music can bring until you share the experience with someone else.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 PM

it all depends on how you see yourself
there is nothing wrong to be a bedroom user ,pick up the guitar after work ,play a few songs for your own entertainment...great.
BUT if you want to overcome stage fright you have to play for other people...the stage is the cure for stage fright.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM

Playing in public is good for compliments (and for learning to take them graciously, which I'm still working at) and feeling as if I'm connecting with people, even if it's simply making them laugh at a silly song. One might find a jam partner at an open mike. I suspect more than a few guitarist-singers have met a spouse or long-term lover because of performing.

Better, imo, is playing with others for an audience. I've been improving with people a couple times a week for about three months now and I suspect it's a large part of why I've experienced a leap forward in ability. In the case of one group, several are better musicians than I, so I have to elevate my game to keep up, and I learn from watching/listening. But even playing with a less than skilled circle of people mired in repetitive three-chord songs, I've developed other abilities, such as adapting to their mistakes, amusing myself with fills and walk-ups, and soloing, which demands honing a set of skills (ear, fretboard knowledge, improv) and being able to use them at tempo.

The other benefit to group jams is that if you have problems with stage fright, it's easier, I think, to cope when you're part of a group. Though in full disclosure, I have to admit, I am not afraid of public speaking or performing (except once in a rare while, and only a fleeting moment), and I know this is unusual, that most people are terrified of being on stage.

For me, I'm mostly feeling as if I'm a...conduit, in service to the music itself, its instrument. Secondarily, I'm focused on my listeners, watching them for attention or boredom, sadness or joy. I'm really not thinking about me at all; when I feel as if I disappear, that's when music is most transcendent and rewarding.

Last edited by oldhippiegal; 01-09-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Music is for sharing. I was watching a documentary about Pete Seeger recently and he said, “The best music I’ve ever made is when I’ve got people to sing along.” I've certainly found this concept to be true. I enjoy playing by myself, but when I look around at a room full of folks singing and clapping, it is just an amazing feeling. And it's satisfying to walk away knowing that you've given every person in the room a gift of joy.

Open mics are not the only route to go - nursing homes and hospitals are often very eager to have someone come in to entertain or do a singalong. You might also find a public jam session. You might consider taking your guitar out onto the street for a little busking. If all that is too much for you to handle, you could try taking a video or web cam and upload a few videos of you playing/singing to YouTube. If you do, be sure to post a thread in the Show n Tell subforum, so we can check it out.

Yes, there is fear and trepidation as you contemplate and prepare for this step, but you'll find the effort is truly worth it. You're playing will improve by leaps and bounds. If you're really nervouse, the previously mentioned idea of bringing along another player (or drummer, or singer) will help to dispell the nerves by alot.

Steve
Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM

When I first started out playing guitar 1.5 years ago, I played for myself. I loved playing and found that music relaxed me, put a smile on my face, took away what was bothering me (Still Does). So moving along I started going to weekly Jams at Alber Music Hall (Still Do to this day, and no plans on stopping). The jamming group in the picking shed acceptaed me has taught me things and have been seeing me grow as a guitartist and now jam member. It was the singing that was tough for me to grasp at first. About six months ago I opened up and have been singing and now playing songs and singing in the weekly Jam sessions. I have met and made so many new friends I cannot thank them and love them enough. You see these people encourage me to play and sing and help me and not critisize me. I am now an accepted weekly jam member. The jam sessions has force me to want to get better in my playing and now my singing. My guitar instructor see's the change and can't believe how much I have accelerated in my instruction and Music theory. I feel I want to pay back my friends and jamming group by playing the best I can and sing the best I can and lastly countinue to always improve. Now this past October the MC of the show came into the picking shed asked for volunteers to come in an fill in for a group that could not stay. My friends all volunteered and insisted that I come up on stage and play and sing. Well I should have been frightend but I was not. You see my friends and now family were with me and I know they had my back. When I gotten up on stage I had a ball and loved playing up on stage and the audiance at the end of each song auplauded. So I know we had to be doing something right. I will never forget that first stage appearance. The pictue link below is me on stage. I am standing playing my Taylor DN3 slightly behind my friend Carolyn playing lead on the flute. Besides attending the weekly Jam sessions I am also working on a performance that I will be doing this coming May singing and playing and adding an introduction on guitar for the song will the Circle be unboroken. I will finish the concert with this performance and will be playing guitar for 8 other songs on stage. This is part of my Bluegrass slow jam workshop that I have been attending last year and this year. The workshop ends with us on stage in concert in front of a paying crowd like Albert Music Hall. So to me I am excited and loving playing in front of people and in Jams and can't tell you how much getting out in public playing has done for me and my guitar playing.

http://www.alberthall.org/images/LPickinShedE.jpg
Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM

I'm surprised at how many posts so confidently declare what music is "meant" for, as if there is a right and wrong way to do it. If the OP finds enjoyment and satisfaction in playing music as a solitary endeavor, why talk him out of it?
I read his post as simply being curious as to why others feel the need to do something he doesn't really relate to.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Garcia is right, it makes no sense playing for yourself alone
Wow, I've been making no sense for 10 years!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Yeah, I think music is what you make of it really. I've played in front of audiences and enjoyed it but what the music and songs mean for me personally is really *the* key for me. If I only got to play for myself for the rest of my life, I would because that is what means the most to me.

That said, I *think* most musicians have some desire or drive within themselves to wanna showcase what they've got so to speak. If you can play, and that makes other people happy, well... I think it's hard to say no to that even if one doesn't actively pursue it.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM

I don't have a problem with people who play for only themselves, but if I really like something it seems kind of natural to want to share it.

There are questions asked on this forum, maybe about motivation, where the answer is to find some sort of way to perform. Some genres of music offer easy ways into this through competitions or exams. If you go to lessons some part of each lesson can be a 'performance' to the teacher. A performance doesn't have to be professional to be rewarding but one of the reasons for people getting hooked on performing is that it can be enormously rewarding.

I made similar points in a previous thread and was mildly amused to get a point by point rebuttal of surprising firmness if not vehemence. I wonder if he'll pipe up again? Just to make it clear I'm not suggesting that everyone who plays must perform, just that if you give performance a chance it can be worth it.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM

I really appreciated everyone comments. It was nice to see peoples motivating factors where not just self indulgent. I asked a kinda strange question, almost could take it to "why do you play music". My friends and I watched the live Phish show New Years Eve. They are way bigger fans then myself, but man they were so happy with the show, I was too. Some people say they got back together because of the money but when you see them play I think it is something else. I do believe playing live is the true core of music. Like folks said it is a shared experience. Not that everyone has to do this, there are many different reasons we all play. Its just for me I can't have this attitude that I am amazing and I have to get up on stage so everyone can hear me. Playing out in some other places like some one just said is good. Open mics can be great because people are pretty understanding of what they are in for, and they havent paid! One thing I have noticed is when seeing a live performance is how you always heard some one saying "I wish I could do that". I will bet there are a lot of folks saying that. Maybe something to put in your head when you go up, every one wishes they could do this so maybe they wish that I am doing this.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Tonight (what a coincidence) i went to my first old-time jam ever. A magnificient learning experience, it changed some things about my guitar playing that I had cemented for several years in the safety of my home.

I started getting the urge to play with/for others when I got my first kid. My playing and singing connected with her and we have a deep bond through music. The important part is that it doesnt have to be "very good". With children it's about the music, not flash.

At the jam, people hung out around us, just enjoying the music we made. I was just playing chords. I have a terrible stage fright but tonight it didnt appear.

Dont know if this makes any sense. But if you play only yourself, that's perfectly fine. Nobody has any right to belittle those who do creative things in solitude. A day will come when all this work will bear fruit in one context or another.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Smile Reply from Steve Thew Geelong

Hi there,
I have been doing open mics (festivals and venues) now for two years, 2011, 2012. Previously I played in the background as part of groups and bands.
The open mics have enabled me to fine tune (excuse the pun) my solo playing techniques. A crowd is a strange thing. They can be unforgiving
or very supportive when you are playing. This year I am going to up the anti and go for more paid gigs. This involves a lot of networking and marketing.
I plan to start with going out there and getting a name for myself.
I'm just interested to know if there are any older players out there
who could be doing the same? Oh and also as a last thing.
The crowd always love a new original song. So go for it if you think you
have it.
My music can be heard on
http://soundcloud.com/steve_thew
or
http://www.stevethew.com.au/music.html
Keep gigging.
ST

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write