The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Default Hand hitting strings

I am a brand new player (literally) and bought a Martin guiter from GC to learn on. I beleive it is a special model from Martin for them as I don't see it on the Martin web site.

Here is the model (with critical specs):

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-C...51-i2480306.gc

I am having a real problem with my hand (folded palm skin) hitting the high E string when trying play the G7 and sometimes the C chord. It is almost as if the string is too close to the edge of the fret or that the neck shape isn't good for my hand shape. With much contortion, I can get a clean E string, but it is difficult. My hand isn't fat and my fingers are fairly long, so it isn't like I need to over reach and bring my palm over the fret to get the lower E string. My hand fits a men,s XL glove.

Also the action on this model is pretty low. I almost feel as if it is too low for me. I have a hard time feeling the string, if that makes sense. I don't know if the low action is a factor in my hand hitting the string.

Any tips?

I have a few days to return the guitar if need be, but I am kind of flying blind here, not knowing what "feels" good for my hand shape.

Thanks.

Doc
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM

I still have this problem-its usually caused by 'gripping' the neck so your thumb is over the top edge. Try and make sure your thumb is behind the neck, roughly centre, this moves the fleshy folds of your palm away from the lower edge of the neck and stops you interfering with the high e string.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood View Post
...Any tips?
Hi Doc...

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum! Glad you joined...

Almost certainly it's not the guitar, but your posture. The way you are holding it, the angle of the neck and how you are addressing the neck with your hand.

If this particular guitar was the issue, others would be as well.

Since you didn't include video or pictures with your post, it's impossible to diagnose it with you.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM

Default Thanks Bill and Ljguitar

I will try Bill's tip tonight and post picts of my hand placement tonight/tomorrow.

While I don't think it is the guitar itself, the neck has a definite "ridge" where the fret board meets the neck body, which I can feel and may be causing me to overextend back, to avoid feeling it, and therefore hit the strings. Again difficult to explain.

Let me get some pics and then we can assess.

Doc
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 PM

If you aren't overly self conscious you could take it into the store and explain the issue, if they're not jerks they can probably either give you a tip or help you decide if there is a better guitar - as has been said its very unlikely the guitar is faulty but different people fit different styles and here's no sense making it harder on yourself.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 PM

Doc, is your fretting hand placement similiar as in this video on how to play the C chord ?
The same website shows the G7 chord as well.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-132-C-chord.php

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 AM

Quote:
I am a brand new player (literally) and bought a Martin guiter from GC to learn on. I beleive it is a special model from Martin for them as I don't see it on the Martin web site.

Here is the model (with critical specs):

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-C...51-i2480306.gc
[struggling to control feelings of intense jealousy....]
Welcome to the forum!
[Grrrr...my first guitar cost 6 English pounds 46 years ago and, as a pro now, I still can't afford a Martin...]
Er... so, where was I? Oh yes, welcome to the forum!
Quote:
I am having a real problem with my hand (folded palm skin) hitting the high E string when trying play the G7 and sometimes the C chord. It is almost as if the string is too close to the edge of the fret or that the neck shape isn't good for my hand shape. With much contortion, I can get a clean E string, but it is difficult. My hand isn't fat and my fingers are fairly long, so it isn't like I need to over reach and bring my palm over the fret to get the lower E string. My hand fits a men,s XL glove.
You need to open your hand out more, pretty much as Bill says.

You may need to raise the neck and bring it back a little. Get that left elbow at 90 degrees or less, thumb on back of neck. Move the knuckles down or forward, so the palm comes away from the neck. There should be an inch or so of air between the bottom edge of the neck and your palm, which shouldn't touch the neck anywhere.
(Check justin's C chord shape in the above video.)
You don't hold the neck in your palm (or support it with that hand); you pinch the it (and the strings) between thumb pad and fingertips. (And don't lay the guitar back; you should be looking down on the top edge of neck, with minimal view of the fretboard; sit the waist of the guitar flat on your thigh.)

I'm describing classical position, which is not always necessary for steel-string guitars (which have narrower necks), but will often improve your fretting if you're having problems. As a beginner, your hands need to develop flexibility, and classical position is the most effective until you're flexible enough to adopt a more relaxed "lazy" position. (I mean classical left-hand position, btw, not classical left leg position.)
Quote:
Also the action on this model is pretty low. I almost feel as if it is too low for me. I have a hard time feeling the string, if that makes sense.
[beginners everywhere grit their teeth in jealous rage...]
You are lucky; that's exactly how every guitar should feel.

If your action really was too low, you would hear strings buzzing against the frets when you play them. They may do that if you hit them really hard, but if they don't buzz in normal playing (if you're fretting properly), your action is fine.
Quote:
I have a few days to return the guitar if need be,
If you're not happy with it, just send it to me....
Quote:
but I am kind of flying blind here, not knowing what "feels" good for my hand shape.
Hand shape is not an issue - provided you have normal hands - it's a matter of position and flexibility. Until your tendons loosen up through practice, you may need to be strict with hand position.
Correct hand position may feel unnatural, but not uncomfortable and certainly not painful. But remember it's about getting the elbow and wrist angle right too; the whole arm has to be right, and that in turn may mean you adjusting your sitting position and how you hold the guitar in general.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Default Okay, went and tried some of the tips

Got better at playing the C chord, but still have issues. Also the G7 is giving me fits too. I find that I really have to contort my hand/fingers to get a clean G7 and the standard fingering of G chord is very difficult.

No matter what I tried, I really struggled with keep the "palm"of my hand off the high E string, especially for the G chord.

I took some self photos. Apologize because the are not in order and I had to take them with my other hand.

http://s1270.beta.photobucket.com/us...nd%20Positions

I looked at Justin's guitar page and it appears I am doing it right, but something is amiss.

Thanks all for your help.

Doc
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM

You are collapsing your hand, resting center of palm on the back of the neck. This is a common beginner issue. It leads to buzzes and tension, even though it initially seems to be less effort.

Your thumb should be in the middle of the back of the neck, about parallell to the middle finger. Hand "hanging" under neck with elbow towards floor. Thumb acts as lever in collaboration with arm, dont pinch like crab claw. There should be air between palm and neck.

There is a second "thumb over neck" position, but this is accomplished by elevating the hand to allow thumb to reach over, not by collapsing the hand like in the pictures.

Low action is essential for a beginner to master basic hand positions. SOunds like you have a good guitar. Perhaps a few sessions with a good teacher can help? Some subtle things are hard to see in photos, but often are solved very fast with good one to one instruction.

Last edited by frankhond; 01-04-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
Perhaps a few sessions with a good teacher can help? Some subtle things are hard to see in photos, but often are solved very fast with good one to one instruction.
Thanks for the tips. I have my first lesson on Monday. I bought the book that the instructor will be using to teach me from and tried to get well into it to hopefully accelerate the learning process.

Doc
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Hi Doc, maybe it's to make taking the photos easier, but it looks as if the guitar neck is turned towards you so you can see it. In the ideal position you can't actually see your fingers, at least not as well as you can in the photos. Try turning the neck away from you a bit. The fingering should get easier.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Default UPDATE - Thanks

I played a little more with the Martin guitar that I purchased over the w/e, but had previously ordered a Seagull SWS guitar that finally came in to GC. Since GC has a very generous return policy, my plan was to try both and return the one that I liked "least". The Martin and Seagull had a slightly different neck shape. The Martin a more full C and the Seagull a flatter C. I thought both sounded very good, the Martin a little more full and loud, the Seagull a little more bright, but still with a full sound.

I ended up keeping the Seagull. The neck, wider nut made it much easier to play with my hands and current technique and the pointers everyone gave were great and really helped. The Seagull was also almost $500 cheaper, which will buy more lessons.

1st real lesson is tonight!

Doc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write