The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Acoustic amplification newbie - how do I eliminate feedback?

I tried amplifying my acoustic guitar with a mic and an AER amp for the first time ever and was struggling heavily with the feedback, I just gave up in the end and used the pickup system.

Ive seen lots of players playing live with a mic’ed guitar, how do they deal with the feedback?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:24 AM

IMHO, you answered one of your own questions..
I just gave up in the end and used the pickup system.

"Ive seen lots of players playing live with a mic’ed guitar, how do they deal with the feedback? "

There's a lot of variables, to keep it simple, it's difficult, it's often a hassle, and almost never really worth the trouble especially when so many pickup systems sound pretty good, and you've also got lots pre-amp options to help improve the sound even more.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 AM

An equalizer is the secret.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

It's a tough "ask" to amplify an acoustic guitar with a mic without having troubles with feedback vs. volume...

A couple things:

-be sure you set the "gain" on the microphone input correctly (google "gain staging" and read it... the info will assist you in EVERY amplified endeavor!)

-have your speaker/amplifier set up away from you and the body of the guitar. The closer the speaker is to the guitar's body, the more trouble you'll have with producing any volume before feeding back.

-NEVER have the speaker pointing directly at the "business end" of the microphone; = tantamount to disaster!

I have heard a classical guitarist using an AER in a fairly large "medium-sized" room to good effect; he had the AER up on a speaker stand (above/at head height), positioned 6-10' in front of him. Seemed he was using a condensor mic of some sort...

Overall, it's a PITA to use a mic in a live setting; just too difficult to produce enough volume, unless the audience is extremely quiet and attentive to the softer volume. When I first began performing in bars and such, the only way to amplify my guitar was with a microphone, and that proved to be totally inadequate.

There's a reason that acoustic guitar pickups are so ubiquitous... even though the technology for reproducing the sound of THAT guitar accurately is still lacking, even with a LOT of money spent to achieve that sound, a pickup is so much less stressful and far more productive for the performer...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 AM

Tonedexter
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Get yourself a BOSS GE7 EQ. Then just dial out the frequency causing the problem.

The GE7 also gives you up to 15dB's of volume boost for solos if you need it.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Equalizers are useful, but some are more useful than others at reducing FB without affecting tone too much.

Music contains many frequencies, but FB is at only one frequency (freq).
Ideally you'r equalizer would cut only that freq, but not affect the freqs above and below the FB freq.

The least useful equalizers for killing FB have only 3 knobs, bass, mid, and treble.
Unfortunately reducing FB by turning one of those knobs will also reduce LOTS of freqs near the FB freq, which harms the tone of the music a lot.

There are 1/3 octave equalizers with 30 knobs which is better, but those are large and impractical for use on stage, though great if you have a soundperson working during the performance.

IMO the kind of equalizer that's ideal for musicians on stage controlling their own sound is a parametric equalizer, available as analog units or digital.
Each band has 3 controls, Freq, Gain, and Q (range of freqs affected)

0000para.jpg

How to use:
When hearing FB turn the Gain knob to reduce gain around 10 dB (to start)
Next turn the freq knob till you "find" the FB freq and it is reduced.
Next turn the Q knob so the freq range being cut as narrow as possible but still killing the FB. You want to kill FB but still let more of your music through.
Fine tune all 3 knobs for minimum FB but maximum music.

It sounds and looks complicated, but after practice I think you'll find using this powerful tool is fast and easy.

Last edited by Tico; 07-18-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:30 PM

My preamp pedal has a 'notch' dial which is so handy, if you're experiencing feedback you can turn the dial till it finds the problematic frequency or whatever it is and cuts it out, but that's with my guitar plugged into the pickup, not sure if it works the same for a mic'd guitar.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imc_1121 View Post
I tried amplifying my acoustic guitar with a mic and an AER amp for the first time ever and was struggling heavily with the feedback, I just gave up in the end and used the pickup system.

Ive seen lots of players playing live with a mic’ed guitar, how do they deal with the feedback?
Describe the playing situation in which you are having the trouble (what sort of room, positions of the guitar, the mic, and the amp, etc.).

Louis
Old 07-19-2019, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Equalizers are useful, but some are more useful than others at reducing FB without affecting tone too much....

IMO the kind of equalizer that's ideal for musicians on stage controlling their own sound is a parametric equalizer, available as analog units or digital. Each band has 3 controls, Freq, Gain, and Q (range of freqs affected)...
I never understood this about parametric equalizers, thanks for posting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification