The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-15-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Stage volume with full drum kit and using "high fidelity earplugs"

I loved performing with a guest drummer last Sept. He uses a full drum kit, which is not our "normal" modus operandi, and it was amazing but the stage became fairly loud. To fight this I'd love to do In-Ear-Monitors, unfortunately this is cost prohibitive and almost certainly overkill given the number of gigs like this we do. The other is one that I intend to try, and I'd figured I'd ask you about it...

There are earplugs that have "holes" in them. Or rather, they have technology that cuts the overall volume without making things sound muffled. They're generally labeled "high fidelity earplugs" and they're marketed specifically to stage musicians.

Brands like Hearos, Vibes, Vic Firth, Etymotic Research, EarPeace, Eargasm, and Earasers sell them between $10 and $35. Anyone have any experience or suggestions they'd like to make?
Old 07-15-2019, 01:51 PM

I've used these for many years, they are fairly useful when playing electric along with a drummer, as electric guitar tones are often band-limited anyway. I also use them when attending any concert where I feel either the band or a sound mixer might crank things up to a harmful level.

However, I have not had them work well with acoustic guitar, as I prefer more of a full-range signal from my acoustic.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I loved performing with a guest drummer last Sept. He uses a full drum kit, which is not our "normal" modus operandi, and it was amazing but the stage became fairly loud. To fight this I'd love to do In-Ear-Monitors, unfortunately this is cost prohibitive and almost certainly overkill given the number of gigs like this we do. The other is one that I intend to try, and I'd figured I'd ask you about it...

There are earplugs that have "holes" in them. Or rather, they have technology that cuts the overall volume without making things sound muffled. They're generally labeled "high fidelity earplugs" and they're marketed specifically to stage musicians.

Brands like Hearos, Vibes, Vic Firth, Etymotic Research, EarPeace, Eargasm, and Earasers sell them between $10 and $35. Anyone have any experience or suggestions they'd like to make?
I play drums quite a bit in addition to guitar and I use the hi-fi Hearos when practicing. Unless you have a loud stage monitor pointed back at you with your guitar mix, I don't think you are going to be able to hear yourself very well, if at all (playing acoustic guitar.)

I was actually looking at IEMs just this morning (there are some decent ones between $50 and $150) so that I can play my drums more easily over backing tracks. Right now I play with the Hearos in and two S1 Pros turned up pretty loud and pointed towards me, and the drums still overpower them with the ear plugs in. Might not be as problematic if you are standing further away from the drums.

But buy the ear plugs first, they're only a couple of bucks and you never know when you might want to use them.

Another option is to put the drummer behind those plexiglass sound walls, might even be something you could rent.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 PM

BW,
I have tried them all. None of them just lower the volume and give you the same fidelity. In fact the best you get is muffled sound at a lower volume. An audiologist can do custom earplugs for musicians but my experience with them is that they do just about the same thing. That all said, I am a big proponent of saving your hearing - I think IEMs are the way to go, simply because you can control the volume going into your ear and hear what is coming from your board/mixer/amp or effects pedals like the Play Acoustic or BOSS VE8. you just have to keep the volume down.

When I play with my trio, I use Westone 15db filtered earplugs from Amazon - inexpensive and cuts down the volume but you lose the fidelity. Losing fidelity is better than losing your hearing. I can’t afford any more hearing damage so either IEMs or earplugs are a must. I bought an AUDIX 2000 system which works well and much more affordable than the Shure systems.

Good luck!
Davidc
Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I've ordered a pair of Eargasm filter plugs and the band has a practice next week with the loud drummer. I'll test it out then and report what I've found.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:02 AM

Hey BW- let me know how they work for you, and BTW my daughter is an audiologist! She would be interested to find out as well.
Best of luck-
Davidc
Old 07-17-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
BW,
I have tried them all. None of them just lower the volume and give you the same fidelity.
Davidc
I have a $175 pair of custom Westones with the Etymotic filters. I agree that they all just muffle the sound. But it's good enough to keep the show going and not kill my hearing. It's a trade-off I'm willing to make, given that I've already damaged my right ear permanently. No more for me.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Crud. Not gonna work. I just got 'em. The guitar is ok, but I can't stand losing the nuance of my voice.

So on to IEM's. I'm gonna try one of the inexpensive "more me" boxes from Rolls and a pair of earphones.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:

I don't like any of them, but the Earacers are really comfortable and sound as good as, or better than, my custom mold Etymotics.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Crud. Not gonna work. I just got 'em. The guitar is ok, but I can't stand losing the nuance of my voice.

So on to IEM's. I'm gonna try one of the inexpensive "more me" boxes from Rolls and a pair of earphones.
Check out KZ 10 driver AS10s from China. They sound surprisingly good and are pretty inexpensive. I use them as in ears with my band.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the earphone recommendation. I've been looking at the Tin Audio T3.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the earphone recommendation. I've been looking at the Tin Audio T3.
I've been looking at the MEE Audio MX2, MX3 and M6 pros, seems pretty nice for the price. https://pro.meeaudio.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification