The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Default JBL PRX812 distortion

I’ve always been a fan of JBL speakers and have been very happy with my PRX612’s and PRX710’s (although I hear a rattle sometimes on one of the 710’s). Recently picked up the 812’s on sale. Used it at a solo gig for about 400 people last week and was really bummed. I went thru my new Soundcraft EFX8, master faders at -5 and channel about the same. I had both speakers set an line level at 4:00 (5/5:30 is max).

Speaker on right made rattling noise at louder volumes almost from the get go. Left side speaker totally distorted about an hour into the 3.5 hr gig and shut off. I never noticed either speaker fan coming on (I think they’re supposedly variable—not always on, like 700 series—-but didn’t monitor them the whole time). I switched the input jack of left speaker and lowered its volume to 2:30 and it was fine for rest of gig. Speaker on left started behaving too.

Not sure if I should take them in yet since they started behaving towards the end of the gig. I don’t have anywhere to test them at high volume but I have another big gig next Tuesday to confirm if there are actual problems (I can bring my 612’s as backup). Also, my initial impressions are they don’t sound solid and tight like my 612’s but seemed to sound ok (I was behind speakers so couldn’t really tell what they sounded like out front but had good response from the crowd.)

Anyone have experience with the 812’s? Are speakers supposed to “break in”? I don’t recall any problems like these in the past with any speakers.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM

No break-in IMO. Were the speakers in direct sunlight? That can be a challenge. I think JBL in the last decade is a competitive mass market pro audio brand but not the gold standard it used to be. Lately I think the mass market gold standard goes to QSC. I had EON510s with buzzing voice coils (bass guitar at reasonable volume) which JBL service explained was just how they are and I had to sell them at a large loss.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-10-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I’ve always been a fan of JBL speakers and have been very happy with my PRX612’s and PRX710’s (although I hear a rattle sometimes on one of the 710’s). Recently picked up the 812’s on sale. Used it at a solo gig for about 400 people last week and was really bummed. I went thru my new Soundcraft EFX8, master faders at -5 and channel about the same. I had both speakers set an line level at 4:00 (5/5:30 is max).

Speaker on right made rattling noise at louder volumes almost from the get go. Left side speaker totally distorted about an hour into the 3.5 hr gig and shut off. I never noticed either speaker fan coming on (I think they’re supposedly variable—not always on, like 700 series—-but didn’t monitor them the whole time). I switched the input jack of left speaker and lowered its volume to 2:30 and it was fine for rest of gig. Speaker on left started behaving too.

Not sure if I should take them in yet since they started behaving towards the end of the gig. I don’t have anywhere to test them at high volume but I have another big gig next Tuesday to confirm if there are actual problems (I can bring my 612’s as backup). Also, my initial impressions are they don’t sound solid and tight like my 612’s but seemed to sound ok (I was behind speakers so couldn’t really tell what they sounded like out front but had good response from the crowd.)

Anyone have experience with the 812’s? Are speakers supposed to “break in”? I don’t recall any problems like these in the past with any speakers.
Concerning the rattle of the 710...I have a pair of PRX 712's and I have the same problem. The tech "fixed" them and the rattly eventually came back. Certain notes would really set if off and it was very frustrating but fortunately I don't use them much anymore. It sounds like the 8 series might have the same problem

You had the volume set at 4:00 on the JBL's? My 712's would be absolutely cranking if I had them set that high
Old 07-11-2019, 04:17 AM

Jon Fields: It was actually kinda cloudy so I was even more surprised that it distorted. I used one of them at my restaurant gig tonight (level @ 12:00) with no problems (didn’t really care for the sound though; I’ll try my 612 next week and compare them). I’m afraid they can’t handle louder volumes. I’ll confirm it at my gig next Tuesday which should also be in direct sunlight. Really hope I can get my $ back if they underperform as they’re brand new. So disappointed.

Woodstock: My 612’s were (and still are) great! I’d routinely put them at 3/4:00 for large gigs without any problems, even in direct sunlight! I use them at line level as opposed to mic.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:49 PM

Presumably you bought them new? By all means give JBL customer service a call and ask them how warranty service should be handled on your speakers. Since I don't know where you are located, the service policies often vary by region.

Generally, these are a good, solid speaker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification