The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Default NGD Pono DS-20SP all mahogany

I'm a sucker for all-hog guitars - got four in my stable right now, been looking at some of the new Eastmans...

I want one...
Old 07-10-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticjazz View Post
Wanted to check in and see how you're liking the new Pono dread? Mine gets a ton of play time
Same here; it's my number one now I'll put it to you this way, my other guitars I change strings about every 6 months and I've changed them twice on this one already.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'm a sucker for all-hog guitars - got four in my stable right now, been looking at some of the new Eastmans...

I want one...
I'd love to play an Eastman, I've never gotten my hands on one of those but they do sound very nice.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:13 PM

As you can see from my signature, I have three Eastmans. Just my opinion but I would say Pono has Eastman by a hair on the finished product...maybe not even. Today, Eastman is right there with anybody. When you consider both of these builders make guitars with common tools and trained luthiers, the results are quite impressive. Ponos and Eastmans both have their own unique "voice".
Eastman has used methods similar to Martin but not the same. John Kitakis is a fan of Gibson. He does emulate Gibson but his guitars are as I said, unique.
Lastly, I am very proud to own these instruments. You really can't compare them to anything in many ways. That's pretty cool to me. Besides, they sound and play pretty dang nice!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-10-2017, 05:30 PM

Lovely guitar!!
Grandpa's old folk guitar
Old 07-03-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1newbie View Post
Lovely guitar!!

I got a Madagascar Pono from another AGF owner.12 fret with spruce top. Absolutely stunning
Old 07-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I know this thread is falling into the zombie thread status, just thought I would check in on how you are enjoying the all hog dreadnaught? Just picked up my first all mahogany guitar a couple months back and really like it.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:09 PM

Back from the dead! Just kidding. I love the all mahogany. It's still my favorite guitar. I like playing the others I own, but I always go back to the hog. It's not just the mahogany sound, which is great, but the neck on this one is very nice. I've had a handful of other players try it out now and they all raved about the neck first and the tone second.

I have since put a clear pickguard on it, but other than that it's still the same and a great guitar.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Oh yes!! Very nice!
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion