The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Default Neck Reset

I have a new guitar that I had purchased about 6 months ago from one of the sponsors. Overtime the guitar has been increasingly difficult to play and was told it needed a neck reset since the saddle was already low.

The guitar has been properly humidified and kept in a case and was well taken care of.

The sponsor no longer carries the brand, but he gave me the mfg's contact info since it has lifetime warranty but they has not been answering.

I really don't know what to do at this point as I can't afford a neck reset. Do you think I have any recourse or should I just chalk it up as a loss? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by pscheel; 06-12-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear about your issue with SAGA not responding. Needing a neck reset after only 6months is not the norm.. I’d keep on the communication to SAGA.
SQEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:44 AM

Maybe the*sponsor* could provide you with other contact info ?
Old 06-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscheel View Post
I have a new Blueridge BG-140 that I had purchased about 6 months ago from one of the sponsors. Overtime the guitar has been increasingly difficult to play and was told it needed a neck reset since the saddle was already low.
First, who told you that it needed a neck reset? A skilled repair person?

Second, excessive neck relief can cause the action to seem too high. The correct remedy is not to lower the saddle, but to remove the excess relief - relief should be less than .01" and is usually around .005" or so. How much relief do you have in the neck, what is the string height from top of 12th fret to bottom of strings, how much saddle is projecting from the top of the bridge, how thick is the bridge and what is the vertical distance from the surface of the top to the bottom of the strings.

Answer those questions and whether or not it needs a neck reset can be determined. If you can't measure those things, if you haven't already, take it to a skilled repair person for him or her to assess.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Yes, a luthier was the one who told me. Hi did all the measurements and adjusted the truss rod. The saddle is already as low as it can go. Measurement is about 8/64th at the 12th fret.

The sponsor did give me the contact info which was a web form and and after several tries I contacted him again and he gave me a phone #. I left a voicemail but still no reply.

I just wish I would of known that he was dropping the line. I kind of feel cheated on that regard.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm really sorry to read about your (fairly) new BR needing a reset. It's too bad that that sponsor is unable / unwilling to do more to help you get in touch with SAGA.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Has anyone checked the truss rod adjustment? This is what is used to set neck relief. Put a capo on the first fret and hold down the low or hi E at whatever fret is where the neck joins the body, and measure the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 6th or 7th fret. What does it read? You can use auto feeler gauges for this. Anything about 3/16 or less can be adjusted out if the truss is okay.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair