The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Default Guitar Center Ofeering Free GarageBand Workshops

Two local GCs are offering this in addition to free Protab classes. 10am on Saturdays. After football season is over I will definitely check them out!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM

I think those are useful - I went to one at Sam Ash for Protools and I learned where the controls are. I couldn't understand the manual.

And the difference between their input/output hardware - they demo'd on equipment I'd estimate somewhere in the range of $20-30,000 including their mac pro and large screen.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Obviously a chance for GC to boost sales through exposure. Kind of the like the old "I'll buy you and your's a nice dinner and while your eating I'll tell you why you should invest your money with me" pitch.

I would think the sessions will be facilitated by accompished musicians who know how to effectively use every device that is for sale at GC and who will also supervise you or give demo's to small class sizes for a more efective sale pitch opportunity.

On the positive side it would be a good learning experience. Hopefully the instructors have a good hand on crowd control to diminish the effect of the young shredder who comes out of the woodwork and dominates with noise.

If you check it out report back with your take on the action.

Blues
Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM

First Tech, a local computer store in Minneapolis specializing in Macs (well respected in the area for repairs - the place I go for computer repairs) had a free Logic Express workshop a year or so ago. I made a special effort to rearrange my schedule and drive across town to go to this, hoping it would help me get started up the steep learning curve. One had to register online on an Apple website for this in advance, making it seem like a big deal. It turned out it was about 80% just a sales pitch for the newer version of Logic, with very little time spent actually learning anything about how to use Logic Express. I was VERY disappointed, and really quite bit annoyed. I felt it was sort of a scam. They can argue that this was free, so I have nothing to complain about, but it was not what they advertised, and I feel that they stole most of an hour of my time (plus an hour of travel time).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write