The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-06-2018, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Fingerstyle-friendly mic suggestions

Hey all,

So I’m looking to upgrade my current studio microphone(s). I typically recorded previous videos on my YouTube with either a Rode NT4 (stereo condenser) or a large diaphragm audio technica 4033. I’d mix/add reverb with an Allen and Heath Zed 10 and run two XLRs out into my Zoom Q8. I’ve never used an interface or any additional audio editing like Protools or Logic. (Probably would benefit but just lazy I suppose)

I’ve been looking at maybe a Neumann TLM 102 or a pair or Rode condensers. Really my mind is pretty open to suggestions. Would like to hear some first hand experiences with different intermediate-to-high end mics and why you liked them (for solo fingerstyle)

Thanks

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 06-06-2018, 08:23 AM

Moving from a AT 4033 to a Neumann 102 is not a step up, in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:35 AM

You might want to look at the Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina (I just bought one). These are great performance mikes, medium sized diaphragm, and very good looking on stage. They are hand made with point to point wiring in the US and cost $550. They are more feedback resistant than most condenser mikes but of course not as much as a dynamic. They sound great.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-06-2018, 08:40 AM

The thing with finger style mics and up-close detail is how clean your playing is. Anything bright enough to give you really good detail will expose all the junk, too. That's one reason why Neumann KM84's are so sought after. You can stick them in there pretty close and they'll hear the stuff you want them to hear without being all skritchy like many current small condensers.

Of course, if you have a great-sounding room you can use a nice, tube LDC (or two) further back. Lots of good, mid-price U47 clones being made now that will fill that bill. They'll still hear everything, but the bad stuff won't seem as bad. But most people don't have a room like that.

Couch Standards
Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I'll agree with that. The 102 might be a slight upgrade in general, but specifically as a mic for fingerstyle, probably not.

To upgrade from the 4033 in that price range, you probably need to tap the used market. Some suggestions:
Miktek C7e
Miktek C7
Soundelux U195
AKG C414XLII
AT 4060
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I think the 4033 is pretty well regarded as an acoustic guitar mic. Apparently Phil Keaggy used them for years, or so I heard. I know some studios use them as the go to acoustic guitar mic. Forum member Joseph Hanna sure sounds good with it here. https://soundcloud.com/joseph-hanna/4033-1

You could look at what some of the pros have and use that to inform your decision. I know the KM 184 is a popular choice. Al Petteway uses the AKG 414. I love my pair of Gefell M300's.

Off the top of my head I would think the mics you have are fine for making a very good sounding recording. What is your current mic placement like?

Anton
Old 06-06-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'll agree with that. The 102 might be a slight upgrade in general, but specifically as a mic for fingerstyle, probably not.
I'll be the voice of descent here. I for one never liked the 4033 (and yes I've owned one) as it was IMNSHO way too crunchy in the highs for me, and the TLM 102 is nice balanced sounding mic as this video shows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aivxxQLK9Qw

That said, a really great sounding mic in the under $1000 range is the Violet Amethyst Vintage. It has the smooth top-end of a well made European mic while still having great articulation...

These mics used to sell for around $1400 and even at that price they got great reviews, but Violet has cut out the middle man and have been selling them for $599 on sale without shockmount (they are internally shockmounted), and if you want an external shockmount they are $65 on sale. I bought a pair of them when they first dropped the price.

the mic...

https://violetmicsus.myshopify.com/c...s/the-amethyst

the shockmount...
https://violetmicsus.myshopify.com/c...hock-mount-asm

There is a number listed on their website to check their current stock status and delivery estimate.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Also read the hundred prior threads on this very question.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-06-2018, 11:57 AM

yeah there's a few
Old 06-06-2018, 02:36 PM

Nothing beats my charter oak e700 pair. I run them through my Manley SLAM and run my kk mini through my Millennia HV-37. My interface is an Avid Omni w pro tools hd. Using minimal plugins for eq but all the slate stuff is killer. That’s all the stuff I used on this record which may or may not be a sound you like. It’s so subjective. Paths by Matt Van Yhttps://itunes.apple.com/us/album/paths/1197091404
Old 06-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Smile Mics

Dustin,

I had not upgraded my mics in many years. After a lot of research and listening to recordings, I just bought a matched pair of Audio Technica AT5045's. To my ear, they have that "it" factor for solo guitar recording. They are dead quit, ultra sensitive, detailed, and have a flat frequency response except for a slight boost that flatters solo acoustic guitar.

To me, my choice in mics is as personal as my choice in guitars. What is right for me may not be the best for you or anyone else.

I plan to use the AT5045's as a spaced pair (especially after hearing the stereo image of Anton's new Gefell M300 mics: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=500016). I talked with Doug Young, who is active on this forum and has a lot of fingerstyle recording experience and expertise, and he was very helpful. Doug suggested that I use one of my current mics, a Royer R122, to help fill out the middle of the stereo image and add a bit of that ribbon naturalness.

I agree with sdelsolray. With your talent, I would also consider investing in a proper audio interface, a DAW, software/plugins (especially a good reverb), good studio monitors, room treatment, and perhaps a two channel mic preamp. This can be done in stages of course. Plugin Alliance is always running sales. Some of these items will make a bigger improvement than new mics.

I am in the process of upgrading my studio computer. As part of that, I am adding a switch to turn off all my case fans during recording. When I have a chance to do a sample recording, I will certainly post it. I will make sure to record my Beneteau too. I can't wait to see how yours comes out!

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 06-06-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Hey all,

So I’m looking to upgrade my current studio microphone(s). I typically recorded previous videos on my YouTube with either a Rode NT4 (stereo condenser) or a large diaphragm audio technica 4033. I’d mix/add reverb with an Allen and Heath Zed 10 and run two XLRs out into my Zoom Q8. I’ve never used an interface or any additional audio editing like Protools or Logic. (Probably would benefit but just lazy I suppose)

I’ve been looking at maybe a Neumann TLM 102 or a pair or Rode condensers. Really my mind is pretty open to suggestions. Would like to hear some first hand experiences with different intermediate-to-high end mics and why you liked them (for solo fingerstyle)

Thanks
You play quite well. You are an talented composer. You have some world class guitars.

The mics you currently have are acceptable. The remainder of your recording front end sucks.

I would suggest putting together a front end commensurate with the high qualities of your playing, composing and instruments. This would involve mics, preamps, converters, a computer, DAW software, monitors and a good room to work in.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
. After a lot of research and listening to recordings, I just bought a matched pair of Audio Technica AT5045's. To my ear, they have that "it" factor for solo guitar recording. They are dead quit, ultra sensitive, detailed, and have a flat frequency response except for a slight boost that flatters solo acoustic guitar.
It would be hard to beat those mics at any price.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It would be hard to beat those mics at any price.
I agree, those 5045's are pretty cool. On a recent recording with my scottish music band (bagpipes, fiddle, guitar), the engineer used them almost exclusively on my guitar, except for a few tracks where we used my Gefells.

It might be worth it trying to look for a used pair, Dustin, if you really want some new mics. And who doesn't want more mics?

I would probably agree with Sedelsolray though, you will get more bang for your buck upgrading your front end. I have a RME Babyface Pro, its a great interface. Two channels with preamps and two additional line ins. Recording software can be had for a range of prices or free. All the good ones basically do the same thing. That would get you started.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:19 PM

One of my favorite mics for fingerstyle is the Neumann TLM 103. I just like it. It's articulate yet balanced. It gets a lot of hate...but I think it's a great mic at a great price point.

I've had very good success with KM184s...and just got a chance to use a Sennheiser MKH 8040 on a session. It was very nice on fingerstyle guitar.

I've tried the Rode NT5s & found them strident & sterile. They were pretty good on snare...but I didn't like them on guitar.

I've used AKG c451s. They were similar to the KM184...maybe a little brighter. But they were very usable.

I've used AT4051s. They were definitely more "hyped" than the KM184 or the c451. but not as strident as the NT5 & far more detailed or "3d".

I also find a big difference between the AT4033 and the AT4050. The 4050 is a workhorse mic. It sounds good on just about anything. I never warmed up to the 4033.

All that said: I own & use KM184s and TLM103s on my acoustic recordings.

And now for the wrench in the works

I'd get a good preamp before I invested in a nicer mic. The preamp is going to either bring out the best a mic has to offer to take a nice mic and make it sound "less nice", shall we say.

HTH

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

Last edited by DupleMeter; 06-07-2018 at 08:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD