The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-24-2018, 07:30 AM

Default Apogee Mic Plus - Anyone?

So I have been trying to capture some decent quality audio with video from my iPhone. But want to keep it fairly simple .. quick and easy.

The newest Mic+ model seems like a great possibility .. it has latency free headphone monitoring, highly versatile works with Windows, Mac and IOS ..

Not a ton of reviews..

Anyone here have one or offer any thoughts?

Last edited by JakeStone; 03-24-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:56 AM

Jake -

the Mic is excellent - I have the first iteration of it. For a quick recording, it is great. It lacks the flexibility of a two mike system. If you are just playing an instrumental, no problem. But if you are singing at the same time, placement will be very critical. That being said, when I want to do a quick recording, I use the Mic and my iPad.

My other issues with the Mic are:
1) the short cord that comes with it
2) the original Mic was only compatible with Apple based computers (not sure of this iteration)

best,

Rick
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 AM

I absolutely love my Apogee Mic and with almost zero stipulations. The Apogee and iPad combination allows me to get in areas of the house most conducive to recording. That’s gold to me. It’s dang near my “go to” mic for acoustic recordings these days. A few weeks back I posted a clip I recorded using a friend’s 1960’s Martin that he was kind enough to lend me. I’ll post it again here as this was done with an iPad and an Apogee (1st generation).

https://soundcloud.com/joseph-hanna/martin-000-18
Old 03-24-2018, 08:41 AM

Thanks Rick.

The new Mic + does work with any platform ..PC, Mac and iOS ..
Plus now includes non-proprietary cables.

I currently have an Irig pro iPhone / iPad interface that has a XLR input. That I use with a lower end condenser mic. (Mxl990). It is only compatible with iPhone or iPad.

I'm wondering if this new Apogee mic would be better solution and importantly better sounding .. I can return the $150 irig and exchange for the Apogee $100 more.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I absolutely love my Apogee Mic and with almost zero stipulations. The Apogee and iPad combination allows me to get in areas of the house most conducive to recording. That’s gold to me. It’s dang near my “go to” mic for acoustic recordings these days. A few weeks back I posted a clip I recorded using a friend’s 1960’s Martin that he was kind enough to lend me. I’ll post it again here as this was done with an iPad and an Apogee (1st generation).

Thanks -

That sounds excellent.

Is that straight in to the iPad (no effects or post production)?
Old 03-24-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thanks -

That sounds excellent.

Is that straight in to the iPad (no effects or post production)?
There is a room reverb on the lead-ish track. Maybe 18%. Other than that what you hear is what went in.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:30 PM

Good to know ..
Again it sounded very nice.

I think the simplicity of an "all in one" mic/preamp/interface is alluring.

But perhaps trying to do one take with vocals and acoustic may be challenge?
Old 03-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Good to know ..
Again it sounded very nice.

I think the simplicity of an "all in one" mic/preamp/interface is alluring.

But perhaps trying to do one take with vocals and acoustic may be challenge?
That probably gets into a lifetime of discussions and depends entirely on a basquillion variables. For a single mic recording an acoustic guitar however I’m totally “in”.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:

The Soundcloud clip sounds really fine. I'm surprised that a $250.00 ($300.00 CAD) USB mic sounds as good as it does. Then again, Apogee knows it's way around digital recording.
Hey Joseph, I'd love to hear your PRS acoustic recorded with that same mic assuming you still have it (the PRS guitar).
Old 03-29-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
The Soundcloud clip sounds really fine. I'm surprised that a $250.00 ($300.00 CAD) USB mic sounds as good as it does. Then again, Apogee knows it's way around digital recording.
Hey Joseph, I'd love to hear your PRS acoustic recorded with that same mic assuming you still have it (the PRS guitar).
Yes Trevor I still have the PRS! It got left at my sisters house over the holidays (long story) but as soon as I get a chance I’ll get it back home and record something with it.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Yes Trevor I still have the PRS! It got left at my sisters house over the holidays (long story) but as soon as I get a chance I’ll get it back home and record something with it.
Given the quality of your recordings I'll be keeping my eyes (and ears) open for when it happens.

BTW - I'm a fan of the U.S. made PRS acoustics, especially the 2011 Angelus I own.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:54 PM

Smile

I've got the latest version, works great. You can use it with an iPad and Garage Band to separate out vocals and instruments.

I use it for rehearsing, this is using a PA for vocals, piano not miked (sustain pedal needs some adjustment):

Here's another with guitar, no PA or mic, just sitting on the couch. You can see the top of the mic in front of the pick guard. Sorry about the preachy folk tune, still a work in progress, and the occasional screech from my bird Larry (I kept looking up at her sternly but it didn't help much)

Old 04-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I've got the latest version, works great. You can use it with an iPad and Garage Band to separate out vocals and instruments.
Really nice!

Thanks for sharing and proving the little mic works great.

Of course your talent helps!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:52 PM

Found a used Apogee Mic 96K Lightning for a good deal.

Very nice and easy to use ...
Great sound so far on my initial tests.

Will try to record and post a proper demo later.

It's really small! Here's a photo comparing to a AKG dynamic mic.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:28 PM

Congrats, I’m sure you’ll dig it. Apogee only makes quality kit. I’ve also got a Quartet - stellar interface with great preamps. Nowadays it’s almost overkill since everyone listens to clips on their cellphone speakers.

Thanks for the kind words.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD