The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2018, 05:09 AM

Default Migrate from TCH Play Acoustic to VoiceLive 3 / 3X?

I've been a big fan of the Play Acoustic since I acquired one a year or two ago - but there are a few songs in my set that would benefit from the additional harmony voices that the VL3 / VL3X provides.

I'd be interested to hear comments from anybody that has migrated from the Play Acoustic to the VL3 - was it a smart move?

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:50 AM

Smile

No way, dude!

The VL3/VL3X was a device made with poor quality controls, a fact translated in a very high failure rate.

Not to mention the noticeable latency (due to a 10 years old DSP) and some other inconveniences.

At least in Europe, the VL3/VL3X seems to be a discontinued product already.

I was expecting a new model for the past winter NAMM but it didn't happen.
Wait for the next musikmesse or summer NAMM.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I've been a big fan of the Play Acoustic since I acquired one a year or two ago - but there are a few songs in my set that would benefit from the additional harmony voices that the VL3 / VL3X provides.

I'd be interested to hear comments from anybody that has migrated from the Play Acoustic to the VL3 - was it a smart move?

Thanks.
I'm not you but I wouldn't make a move like that which is going to require endless hours of learning and programming for just a few songs. That is unless your audience is so attentive, sophisticated, and intuitive that it will actually notice the harmony voices missing in your head.

Now if you don't like the Voice Play Acoustic harmony capabilities in general, that's another story.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:57 AM

I like the PA harmonies - so I'm assuming I would like the VL3 harmonies also. Double the amount of potential voices sounds appealing for some songs. Quite happy to jump on a learning curve if necessary.

You might be right about the audience though!

Maybe Summer NAMM will bring some new offerings from TCH.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I don’t see it as an upgrade. I tried it and preferred the PA form factor.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:26 AM

I never used play acoustic but I have a VL3 and love it. Yes there is a slight latency but if I don't think about it it doesn't bother me because for me the benefits outweigh the negatives.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:42 PM

Thumbs up VL3X Warranty Is Two Years

I was considering several TC units when the VL3 came out . I got the VL3X and it did fail but then again a brand
new Mackie purchased at the same time failed to .

It's prone to happen to all electronics considering how many millions of electronic parts go into these devices .

The VL3X failed on it's 95th. day so I was screwed and couldn't get an exchange .

I had to ship it to Las Vegas from southern California .

Counting shipping time I received the unit repaired in 7 days !

I have to disagree with " Ed Saxman " on the failure being extremely high too .

YMMV ( Ed Saxman ) but to myself these VL3X units are totally awesome machines period and very well built too .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 06-17-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

With the VoiceLive 3/VoiceLive 3 Extreme having been around for about 5 years, I'd speculate that the VoiceLive IV (or whatever TC Helicon will name it) is not too far in the future. I've still got and occasionally use my VoiceLive 2 but may consider purchasing the next generation of TC Helicon harmony/effect device.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
With the VoiceLive 3/VoiceLive 3 Extreme having been around for about 5 years, I'd speculate that the VoiceLive IV (or whatever TC Helicon will name it) is not too far in the future. I've still got and occasionally use my VoiceLive 2 but may consider purchasing the next generation of TC Helicon harmony/effect device.
Would love to see that product!!
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 06-17-2018, 02:39 PM

Like the others before me, I don't recommend the switch. It's almost certainly not worth it considering they should have something launching in the coming year or two (with hopefully their Critical Mass gang/choir effect included).
Old 06-17-2018, 03:08 PM

I would just like to see 3 band eq for vocal in the Play Acoustic. This would keep me from using a mixer. I always need a mid cut. Every powered speaker has only bass and treble. Boosting the bass and treble and turning down the volume doesn’t get me there. Play Acoustic offers great guitar eq and vocal processing is great. The Voicelive 2 offered vocal eq and the new Boss VE 8 does as well.
However I have great results with TC for many years and it would be hard to switch.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:38 PM

IF you prefer to use the Body Rez on the PA, don't expect to hear the same effect when you use it on the VL3. The algorhtyms used for the rez on the VL3 don't sound good (IMHO). If you use little to no Rez on the PA, the VL3 could be considered an improvement in processing as the VL3 has six slots you can use for acoustic FX (which are quite good). Vocally it is no comparison with the 3 being far superior.

I've been down this garden path twice now and am currently using a Boss AD10 for acoustic and VL3 for VX's.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I would just like to see 3 band eq for vocal in the Play Acoustic. This would keep me from using a mixer. I always need a mid cut. Every powered speaker has only bass and treble. Boosting the bass and treble and turning down the volume doesn’t get me there. Play Acoustic offers great guitar eq and vocal processing is great. The Voicelive 2 offered vocal eq and the new Boss VE 8 does as well.
However I have great results with TC for many years and it would be hard to switch.
Try a different mic?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foss38 View Post
Try a different mic?
A few. Any ideas what might be good to try? Maybe something with a low proximity effect?
Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
A few. Any ideas what might be good to try? Maybe something with a low proximity effect?
http://microphonegeeks.com/heil-soun...ynamic-review/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification