The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Default help with recording gibson j-35 and blue spark digital mic

i quickly pieced together some demos of my first attempt at acoustic recording. I think it went very well for first attempt. I used my gibson j-35 and a blue spark digital mic, a condenser usb mic. However, the recording is lacking in the high end detail and sparkle that i hear when playing. It seems the bass and mids came out very well, any ideas how to get the treble and sparkle in the mix? I placed the mic above the guitar and aimed the head of mic towards where the body meets the neck at a distance of 1-2 feet. Anyways, here is a link to my youtube uploads with the mic and guitar mentioned, i have 4 or 5 total acoustic clips uploaded for reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGXqnABNTxY

If anyone can help me out that would be super fantastic, thanks

zsb
Old 08-03-2013, 07:48 PM

What software are you recording with?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 PM

i have been using audacity, i do not know how to properly use it, i just hit record, do my thing, his stop, then export as .wav

If you saw on my profile i also tried to record my electric guitar and amp, it came out really messed up, it is either my amp or laptop causing the issue (lots of hiss/static). The acoustic recording were done using my desktop computer, no amp or anything, just straight acoustic, no hiss/static which is good, but i would like to capture more of a sparkle sound then the dull sound if you know what i mean. Thanks

zsb
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

The guitar will sound different recorded than to your ears live - that's normal. You will get a fuller sound going stereo. As is it is pretty good for mono - any brighter and it might get harsh. Your software is fine. Just keep experimenting with you location in the room, mike position relative to the guitar, and perhaps the pick you use for strumming. You can go in post recording and play around with equalization and perhaps get closer to the sound you want.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The guitar will sound different recorded than to your ears live - that's normal. You will get a fuller sound going stereo. As is it is pretty good for mono - any brighter and it might get harsh. Your software is fine. Just keep experimenting with you location in the room, mike position relative to the guitar, and perhaps the pick you use for strumming. You can go in post recording and play around with equalization and perhaps get closer to the sound you want.
thanks for the tips! i had it setup to record in stereo, then when i export as .wav file i think it condenses the track to mono, is that correct? As for pick size, ihave been using what i believe to be a medium pick, it is dunlop .58mm, is that considered a medium or thin? How would a thin, medium or thick pick affect the recordings? These are dumb questions i know

zsb
Old 08-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsb View Post
thanks for the tips! i had it setup to record in stereo, then when i export as .wav file i think it condenses the track to mono, is that correct? As for pick size, ihave been using what i believe to be a medium pick, it is dunlop .58mm, is that considered a medium or thin? How would a thin, medium or thick pick affect the recordings? These are dumb questions i know
zsb
For stereo you need to record with two mikes. Regarding picks you know more than I do, but it is worth experimenting with.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-04-2013, 06:02 AM

Z,

using a lighter pick can make the guitar sound brighter. at least here in my world.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM

It's really so hard to answer questions like this. In truth the best answer is mic'ing anything successfully is always a hard fought sojourn. It's a journey. It's trial and error. It's the room, the guitar, the mic. It's the talent, the temperature, the humidity. It's practice and patience.

Seems to me your off to a good start. If I did have to point a finger at a pragmatic spot to start I'd say your room, your room and your room
Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 AM

A Fender Medium pick is .80 I believe so you have a thin pick. I record in Garage Band and really just got back into it. The new version is pretty amazing it has a lot of pesent EQs which you can hit. One is to "brighten guitar". Seems like you could record it and do a lot to change to your liking. Its $15. But I am far from the expert. But its a lot of fun and pretty user friendly.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-04-2013, 06:36 PM

i found an even thinner pick to use, no markings to say what mm it is, but i made a new recording with that pick and the mic further up the neck, sounds closer to where i want, it sure is a process. this recording i used audacity to record the background track then added another track over it, i am getting better at it. i would love to re-record my electric stuff i put up, i will try again with ipad. Any ideas how to get rid of background tube amp noise, i think that is what it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xRiLHcqrfk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD