The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-16-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I despise how today's companies have absconded the term "smart" to describe their products almost as much as how Zuckerberg has absconded the term, "friend".

But people are stupid and there's billions of dollars to be made.

You and I should be friends.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:05 AM

Hi everyone,

Since we have been working on this project and giving demonstrations to literally 1000+ people, the 'feedback' we have received has been just about unanimously positive.

One of the most common response we have heard from guitarists, professional musicians, and luthiers is 'I didn't want to like it, but I actually do'. I anticipate that some people in this thread might say the same thing.

Our company is made up of guitarists and we focus on sound quality. It really comes across on our guitar.

We don't use the word 'smart' as a gimmick like some other iOT devices. It is a real scientific field that enables us to control vibrations and enhance sound quality. You can read about it here: http://iopscience.iop.org/journal/0964-1726

I think it's best that I let our guitar do the talking. I hope that people can keep an open mind and don't 'knock it til you try it'.

Happy to answer any specific questions about our technology and features.

Cheers!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:39 AM

I don't know what the link you provided was supposed to take me to, there wasn't anything about guitars.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyVibe View Post
Hi everyone,

Since we have been working on this project and giving demonstrations to literally 1000+ people, the 'feedback' we have received has been just about unanimously positive.

One of the most common response we have heard from guitarists, professional musicians, and luthiers is 'I didn't want to like it, but I actually do'. I anticipate that some people in this thread might say the same thing.

Our company is made up of guitarists and we focus on sound quality. It really comes across on our guitar.

We don't use the word 'smart' as a gimmick like some other iOT devices. It is a real scientific field that enables us to control vibrations and enhance sound quality. You can read about it here: http://iopscience.iop.org/journal/0964-1726

I think it's best that I let our guitar do the talking. I hope that people can keep an open mind and don't 'knock it til you try it'.

Cheers!
Personally, I'd have no interest in one of these. BUT, I don't find that it offends my fragile acoustic sensibilities either. Nor do I feel the need to reinforce my position in the herd by insulting people who create, or buy, these. It's interesting to me that this forum is unfailingly polite with the exception of a very small number of topics, of which this instrument is now one.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:56 AM

So it's kind of like a yamaha transacoustic but with more gizmos. I'll gladly try one if they make production.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I don't know what the link you provided was supposed to take me to, there wasn't anything about guitars.
Hi Jamie - it was a response & explanation to the comments about us being a 'smart' guitar. We didn't use that word because it is 'in-fashion. There is a real/scientific reason that we call ourselves 'smart'.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Personally, I'd have no interest in one of these. BUT, I don't find that it offends my fragile acoustic sensibilities either. Nor do I feel the need to reinforce my position in the herd by insulting people who create, or buy, these. It's interesting to me that this forum is unfailingly polite with the exception of a very small number of topics, of which this instrument is now one.
I'd have zero interest as well - I'm guessing that the majority of people on this forum are essentially traditionalists when it comes to guitar appreciation.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 06-19-2018, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Loopers, harmonizers, Beat Buddy, sure that's all well and good but a Smart Guitar, now that's crazy talk.

Great to see HyVibe here, I'll follow their project with interest.

Different people like different things, and some folks like it all. I've found that after I listen to highly produced, processed music--for some reason I'm thinking of progressive rock band YES back in the day--after I listen to that, when I return to "pure" acoustic recordings, I hear it with fresh ears. It's all good.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers!
I look forward to hearing more about your innovations. I am curious, will you be offering an all solid wood guitar version one day, or if one wanted to put this system into one of their own guitars will that be possible. All the best on your venture... you can’t stop the future
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 06-19-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:14 PM

Great idea. No need for a reverb pedal.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers!
I would be one of these. I would cheerfully
Receive one in the mail to beta test for you
at my live gigs Where i could provide you with
real world feedback and constructive criticism
So you could improve your product.😉
Old 06-20-2018, 07:28 AM

Funny, the guitar in the promo video looks to be a Martin. Besides the questions about real-world utility that would be my primary concern: it’s already challenging to find a quality guitar in the $500 price range ... I’m supposed to believe I can get all this smart tech and a decent playing instrument for that. I’m skeptical. I wish these guys luck but I’m not sure I see the market.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

A few thoughts / perspectives:

HyVibe is probably not something that I would use predominantly. I definitely would NOT buy it. Well, if they come out with a nylon string version I might consider it........

I would probably enjoy amusing myself with it for 30 minutes to an hour of random noodling.

The effects sounded mostly awful to me.

We live in an era of explosive creativity in guitar design and building! I TOTALLY and ENTHUSIASTICALLY agree with / encourage / support / admire those individuals pursuing dreams of new frontiers in musical instrument design, including integration with electronics tech.

I agree with many of the negative comments in this thread, while simultaneously admitting that those negative comments are probably predominantly coming from individuals that share my age demographic, and readily acknowledging that folks of like age demographic probably had the exact same negative comments about the electric guitar and effects technology that we (then youngins) embraced in the 1950s and 1960s.

There might very well be a market for this guitar and there will be improvements and changes and competitors. Remember the "cellular phones" of 3 decades ago? Who would have foreseen the iPhones of today back then? We might ALL be playing something derived from this technology in a couple of more decades. Well, if any of us oldsters are still around.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Funny, the guitar in the promo video looks to be a Martin. Besides the questions about real-world utility that would be my primary concern: it’s already challenging to find a quality guitar in the $500 price range ... I’m supposed to believe I can get all this smart tech and a decent playing instrument for that. I’m skeptical. I wish these guys luck but I’m not sure I see the market.
Hi,

Just to clarify - the clip with the Martin was an earlier prototype system and the price we offer now is an 'early-bird' special. That deal will not last much longer!
Old 06-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I played this guitar at NAMM this year. It was surprisingly fun to play and sounded great. It is a bit of niche product as it certainly won't appeal to the Acoustic purists around here.

The bluetooth speaker part actually sounds good and is really fun to jam along with or learn new songs on. The aspect I found most interesting is the ability to use it like skype......meaning you can jam with someone across the country who also owns one of these. Really interesting idea, especially for a guitar teacher like myself.

I have not purchased one as funds are tight (being a musician/teacher) but I have kept this product on my radar. I definitely would not be criticizing it unless you've actually played a HyVibe in person.....otherwise it is just an opinion with no backing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification