The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Smile GAS

Sweetwater's customer service and support are among the best too. I have made many of my home studio equipment purchases from them. My Sweetwater rep is typically my first call when I need (well, really want) something new.

Guitar Acquisition Syndrome can also spread to Gear Acquisition Syndrome if left untreated.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 PM

For those claiming PCs are cheaper...yes & no. Look at studies by IBM & Google. Google switched everyone to Mac and/or Linux & IBM is giving employees a choice of Mac or PC. The end result is that the total cost of ownership (TCO) is lower for a Mac. Read the studies for the details (you'll have to Google them).

But...that said, buy what you like. They're tools to be used to achieve a goal. They have to serve you and your expectations.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
For those claiming PCs are cheaper...yes & no. Look at studies by IBM & Google. Google switched everyone to Mac and/or Linux & IBM is giving employees a choice of Mac or PC. The end result is that the total cost of ownership (TCO) is lower for a Mac. Read the studies for the details (you'll have to Google them).

But...that said, buy what you like. They're tools to be used to achieve a goal. They have to serve you and your expectations.
The reason Macs are cheaper, over the computer's life cycle, is bundled software, longer operational life, slightly lower maintenance costs/related downtime and ease of use.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The computer (Mac or PC) really does not matter, particularly for a hobby recording studio. Sure, certain software and some hardware only works on one or the other, but most software and nearly all hardware work with both.

Your main investment will be your time in learning how to use the equipment and software.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 06-08-2018, 01:43 AM

I'm very much a PC person over Mac for a few reasons, but with this caveat - if you are using the computer for recording and only recording, I'd probably suggest the mac. Yes, you can get a better PC for the same money but it's a real minefield with all sorts of different hardware combinations, drivers, etc. You really have to know your stuff and be careful. The Apple world is more stable and less prone to conflicts in software/hardware - its more "plug and play"
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 06-08-2018, 08:16 AM

I have six Macs in the house/studio. I have worked on PCs in other studios and find them a bit clunky, but maybe it's me that's clunky.

Used to be that you could buy a cheaper PC, but when you began adding on features, you ended up about the same place and you spent some time making sure the additions worked with each other. I don't know if that's gotten better with PCs.

Networking all of these Macs fairly easily and setting them up so they all can print to one printer is a Mac "comes with" feature.

There are probably other features that require additional PC hardware/software. I'm not qualified to say.

On the Martin's vs Taylor's: I have two Martins. The Taylor's I've tried play a little easier, but I prefer the sound of my Martins.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Last edited by Ty Ford; 06-08-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I have six Macs in the house/studio. I have worked on PCs in other studios and find them a bit clunky, but maybe it's me that's clunky.

Used to be that you could buy a cheaper PC, but when you began adding on features, you ended up about the same place and you spent some time making sure the additions worked with each other. I don't know if that's gotten better with PCs.

Networking all of these Macs fairly easily and setting them up so they all can print to one printer is a Mac "comes with" feature.

There are probably other features that require additional PC hardware/software. I'm not qualified to say.

On the Martin's vs Taylor's: I have two Martins. The Taylor's I've tried play a little easier, but I prefer the sound of my Martins.

Regards,

Ty Ford
I kinda agree , I have not used a PC in over 15 years, but back then at least it seemed like it often took an additional move or two or extra keystroke/s to do the same thing, particularly in moving between things

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Either Mac or PC is fine (I use a PC) but I prefer at least a 24" monitor, a silent computer (i.e. motherboard graphics only,
very quiet cpu and case fans, quiet hard drives - better yet solid state drives), extensive BIOS setting options (for example
being able to disable speed step).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
I’m still constructing the hobby studio I mentioned here about a month ago (thanks to all who’ve chimed on my Noob questions) and I’m looking at its core - the computer. It’s clear that even Pro Tools First requires an upgrade from my 6-year-old Windows laptop. So I’m looking to this forum’s collective wisdom on what might be a hot topic ... is there a legitimate, performance-related reason most hobbyists and production pros prefer Mac over PC?
I hope this isn't thread-hijacking, but I'll bet REAPER will run like a clock on your 6 year old laptop. Download it and try.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Mac over PC

I retired as a computer professional and have had some sort of PC since 1976. In the house now we still have 2 desktop PCs, a Linux (Ubuntu) desktop, a Win 10 laptop, a Macbook Air, and I am writing this from a Samsung Cromebook.
(the safest surfer by far...)

I have always had to have a PC for work and some applications I run.

Many years experience with PC since DOS. Not as much experience with the Mac. There are two main points that favor the Mac and both of these are more important if you are not a major gearhead:

1. Backup

The Apple "Time Machine" is MUCH better then most anything I have seen for the PC and it is native to the OS. Much better if you have a disk crash. Just plug in the boot USB stick and it will ask if you have a Time Machine backup.
I also like the interface much better if you are looking for a previous version of a file.

You CAN backup the files on a PC without too much trouble, but a full disk restore (including applications) has always been a major hassle.

Note: In either case you have to actually DO the backups and Apple's Time Machine does require a dedicated drive.

2. Malware

In general the MAC is less vulnerable to malware. I think this is for two reasons:

a. Operating system is less vulnerable.
There is lots of debate on this but I think the main reason is just that there are fewer people with the skills to exploit Mac OS.

b. Less market share
Many more PCs out there to infect, so that is where the hackers concentrate.

Just my $ .02 ...

Lee
Old 06-10-2018, 03:07 PM

After several years of trying to get a decent sound and ease of operation on PCs, I gave up in frustration and switched to an iMac and haven't looked back.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I hope this isn't thread-hijacking, but I'll bet REAPER will run like a clock on your 6 year old laptop. Download it and try.

Fran
Fran, you are absolutely correct. That is the system now in use and I made my first selfie this evening. There is nothing so humbling as hearing your speaking, singing and/or guitar picking recorded and played back to you, for the first time. Anyone need a simple home studio, for sale cheap? (I’m kidding, it was great.)

Thanks again to everyone who pitched in, here and on my other related posts.

Cheers!
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD