The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 AM

Default New ToneDexter Firmware

Didn't read anything about his here, so I want to bring it up:

I just saw, firmware 1.40 is available on the ToneDexter site since last wednesday. It allows saving and swapping mavemaps.

If anybody has some wavemaps of a doublebass with piezo pickup I'd be interested to try it out! :-)
Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Thanks for info, just updated my Tonedexter.
It would a good idea to share between users some of our best wavemaps.
I know that theoretically the best sounding wavemaps would be the ones made specifically for a particular guitar but I'm sure that if a guitar and a pickup is a close match we can get good results too.
Would anyone like to share a wavemap they are happy with, for a square/slope Gibson with K&K?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:06 PM

This is awesome. I'll update my ToneDexter tonight.

I have a WaveMap of a Collings D2HA through a Slate ML2 that I am very happy with. Once I have some time, I will certainly share it.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

How do you like the ML2 for creating maps? Since it’s flat response I imagine it should work the best...
Old 08-13-2018, 07:05 PM

“Oh, Beam Me Up, Scotty!”

I just knew I was gonna have to buy a SD card and reader sooner or later. Rats. Fat32 on a Mac? Unlikely.
I will wait til they make an update for.....mag soundhole pickups! That would make it perfect, but I would not care if they brought out a blue one or something for mags! Bluetooth would be good.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 PM

I did this with a Mac and I think I just bought the card formatted correctly. Works fine.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
How do you like the ML2 for creating maps? Since it’s flat response I imagine it should work the best...
I like it a lot. I haven’t tried anything else with ToneDexter, but it works great due to its flat response. The virtual mics are pretty amazing as well.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
“Oh, Beam Me Up, Scotty!”

I just knew I was gonna have to buy a SD card and reader sooner or later. Rats. Fat32 on a Mac? Unlikely.
I will wait til they make an update for.....mag soundhole pickups! That would make it perfect, but I would not care if they brought out a blue one or something for mags! Bluetooth would be good.

BluesKing777.
As I'm sure you know, magnetics are specifically discouraged due to their non-linear response but I've had some interesting results from my Baggs m1a and a Rode nt3.

Can anyone suggest a suitable way to share/discuss experiences that won't end up in a fragmented and subjective discussion?

I tried mapping a Schertler Dyn-G last night - not very useable on it's own but def worth experimenting.

Edit:

The "software" is a bit of a faff, it reminds me of the good old days of the BBC micro - that's old. This, long with the restricted recall capacity makes the TD very vulnerable to "Behringer-isation", i.e., someone puts it all on one chip, adds USB and makes all the money. That would be a shame.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 08-15-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:33 AM

What is a faff? If you want a discussion without "fragmented and subjective" commentary, why don't you start a thread and ask that people stay focused to the original post? Or just read the posts that are relevant to you? There are a fair number of Tonedexters out in the world now and you should get some good feedback.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 08-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Faff is British slang for a difficult, complicated task. Comes from the frustrated puff
of air from the lips.

Software updates is one way the AudioSprokets folks can avoid being “Behringer-ized”.
That and developing new products to stay ahead of the curve.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
What is a faff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Faff is British slang for a difficult, complicated task
Yup, pretty much, with an implication of unnecessariosity

Quote:
If you want a discussion without "fragmented and subjective" commentary, why don't you start a thread and ask that people stay focused to the original post? Or just read the posts that are relevant to you?
That's a great idea. I've only ever seen it work face to face or on paper, rarely online without a paywall.

Quote:
Software updates is one way the AudioSprokets folks can avoid being “Behringer-ized”. That and developing new products to stay ahead of the curve.
Agreed, I suspect however the TD#1 will not be updated much beyond where it's at (famous last words) and whatever comes next will be a conventional recallable pre like the AG Stomp with convolution. I would like to think Audio Sprockets will be in on the act, having opened up the possibility. We'll see.

Until then we have plenty to play with.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:51 PM

So.. if it's terrible for magnetic pickups why does my oval hole archtop with a Sunrise sound so good using this thing?

Still experimenting. Did find that it really (really) hates to be under powered like from a 300mA 9V Voodoo power supply connection. However it's power flexibility is quite nice. Running it from a 12V DC output (center positive) on the lithium inverter that's driving AC power for a Schertler Jam 150 extension. Makes a nice portable rig running 12 or 13 hours before needing to think about a recharge and weighing in at less than 25 lbs.

Last edited by Spook; 08-15-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 PM

I have said it before, but I would happily ALSO buy a Tonedexter Mark 2 or 7 designed to work ONLY with a magnetic pickup. I love my piezo designed Tonedexter and can imagine another version for mags would give some real freedom to owners of guitars that don’t want to permanently install pickups in their guitars and want a better sounding mag output....chuck the soundhole pickup in, run it to the “Mag-777 Tonedunker” and no more Faff .

As a chip in a Boss VE-8 or the like? Sensational! One box less to pack.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
So.. if it's terrible for magnetic pickups why does my oval hole archtop with a Sunrise sound so good using this thing?

Still experimenting.
It's not that it can't make a mag sound better, as previously mentioned I'm running a Baggs m1a into it and there are some definitely interesting results. I think what A/S are suggesting is that the non-linear response of mags as a type means they don't make the most of what's possible.

Also still experimenting. I've done a couple of gigs as a sound-tech and tried the TD on fiddle, mandolin and Lowdon acoustic (all piezo USTs) and the fiddle has been to most dramatic improvement. I'll not be swapping out my Yamaha AG stomp until I've experimented a bit more. When I do I think the AG will still be on the FX loop.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Humanist

As most here know, the TD is an amazing piece of gear that truly changes the universe for anyone amplifying an acoustic guitar, mandolin, fiddle, etc.

The software update that now allows back-up and transfer of the instrument-specific “wavemaps” that the user creates is the finishing touch on this masterpiece, IMO.

I have used the TD since last October, and it's been perfect...great plugged-in sound each and every gig.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification