The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-09-2018, 01:48 AM

Question Chords

I am trying to learn how chords are made up (and failing miserably I can tell you). For example, the 'C' is made from the notes C,E and G at least that is what I have read. But, the chord diagram seems to be C, E and C. What's going on? Another question, how do I determine what chords go with one another?

Thanks

Brian
Old 08-09-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddyliol View Post
I am trying to learn how chords are made up (and failing miserably I can tell you). For example, the 'C' is made from the notes C,E and G at least that is what I have read. But, the chord diagram seems to be C, E and C. What's going on? Another question, how do I determine what chords go with one another?

Thanks

Brian

A chord is a combination of three or more notes in a scale. So let’s just stick to major chords for now. In order to understand how chords are made, you must understand scales and intervals.

Let’s use the C scale for example and you’ll understand why a C chord has the notes C E and G.

C 1
D 2
E 3
F 4
G 5
A 6
B 7
C 8

That above is the C scale, and the number is the interval. A major chord requires the first interval, better known as the root note, the major third, and the fifth. Those same three notes can repeat over and over at higher octaves and it’s still a major chord. If you look at that diagram from above, you’ll see that the C is the root, E is the major third, and G is the fifth.

I’m sure you’ve noticed I call the third “major” third, that’s because that third interval is what makes the chord a major or a minor chord. To play a minor chord, you simply flatten the third (go down one fret), and now that’s called the minor third. For example, a Cm chord has the notes C, Eb, and G.

As for that diagram you’re talking about that only has the notes C E and C, then that’s not a C chord, in fact, that’s not a chord at all.

Chords that go together, that’s a whole different animal. Again, you must understand scales (with its relative minors, very important) and intervals. It gets pretty deep from there because, it’s not just which chords fit, but also what “feel” you want to give the progression. A minor or major feel?
Old 08-09-2018, 04:07 AM

Are you ignoring the open, unfretted strings? The open third string is a G.

The standard C shape is

X 3 2 0 1 0

and the notes are

_ C E G C E

another way to play C is

3 3 2 0 1 0

and those notes are

G C E G C E

There are other ways to play C but they all contain the notes C, E and G in one way or the other.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Another question, how do I determine what chords go with one another?
Method 1: Learn major scales, and how to form chords from alternate steps from the scale. (E.g., CEG = C major; DFA = Dm, EGB = Em, etc.)

Method 2: Learn some songs, and see which chords they put together.

Method 3: Look at the circle of 5ths (one which shows relative minors as well as majors), and take any quarter sector (3 majors and the 3 minors inside). Those six chords will all sound good together. (and you can often include one or two from neighbouring sectors.)

Method 3 requires no study.
Method 2 is the most fertile and educational - because it will extend way beyond what you learn from either of the other methods.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:58 AM

To the O.P. - You only need to be able to count.

e.g. The C major chord is made up from -
i) the note from which it takes it's name. C.
ii) the note 4 frets higher (or 8 frets lower) i.e. E.
iii) the note 7 frets higher (or 5 frets lower) i.e. G

You can play these notes anywhere on the guitar; you can double up any/all of them. They can occur in any order. It's still a C major chord.

You can apply exactly the same counting numbers for any major chord.

The C minor chord differs only in ii) above, where instead you need the note 3 frets higher (or 9 frets lower) i. Eb (D#). Similarly, other minor chords can be "counted" out using the same numbers.

This counting method largely avoids the musical terminology that some find intimidating at first. (Though I recommend investigating it at some stage!)

Once you have the understanding of how simple major and minor chords are formed you can move on to -

7th chords by adding to a major chord the note 10 frets higher (or two frets lower) than the "name" (root) note.

m7th chords by adding to a minor chord the note 10 frets higher (or two frets lower) than the root note.

maj7th chords by adding to a major chord the note 11 frets higher (or one fret lower) than the root note.

etc etc.

It may not be the most elegant method of writing down what chords are composed of, but it is a very quick way of eastablishing mentally for yourself the notes needed in a chord. I had worked this out for myself over 50 years ago long before I got involved in anything remotely resembling music theory and still find it useful. You may find it helpful - in which case, good! You may not - in which case ignore me!

Keith
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 AM

Thanks for your informative reply. I am still having a problem with the 'C' chord pattern as shown in this link. Unless I am being particularly thick (quite possible), it is showing the notes C, E and C.

https://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/cho.../c-major-1.gif

Brian
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 AM

To start with you will have to do some work and learn the chords. I have a pop piano background and was taught to play my right hand with a full chord at the beginning of each measure of music or whenever the chord changed. You just keep the melody note on top and play the rest, as much as you can, below the melody. Same on guitar as on piano. So even tho I am new to ukulele and still a beginner on guitar, I have no trouble with knowing the chords.

So for you to learn chords, I recommend a piano and guitar playing friends and u tube. U tube has a lot to offer, especially for beginners. Learn to read music. Learn chords. Once you learn chords, chord melody is a snap.

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 08-09-2018, 05:17 AM

Chords are triads made by the intervals between the root and the other two notes of the triad (chord). For major chords that is 4 half steps and 3 half steps between the three notes of the triad beginning with the root. For minor chords the intervals are 3 and 4. For diminished it is 3 and 3, and for augmented chords the intervals are 4 and 4 half steps.

So a C major chord will be C-E-G.
C minor chord will be C-E flat-G.
C diminished will be C-E flat-G flat.
C augmented will be C-E-G#.

Those triads can also be played in what are called inversions.
The C major chord triad is C E G.
1st inversion will be E G C.
2nd inversion will be G C E.
Those are just different voicings of the C major triad (chord).

Last edited by Caddy; 08-09-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your informative reply. I am still having a problem with the 'C' chord pattern as shown in this link. Unless I am being particularly thick (quite possible), it is showing the notes C, E and C.

https://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/cho.../c-major-1.gif

Brian
See post number 3 by StanRon. the string with an O (no finger required) are also parts of the chord.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:54 AM

Thanks for that. I am really showing my ignorance now, I never took any notice of the open G string DOH. That makes sense now.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySmash View Post
To start with you will have to do some work and learn the chords. I have a pop piano background and was taught to play my right hand with a full chord at the beginning of each measure of music or whenever the chord changed. You just keep the melody note on top and play the rest, as much as you can, below the melody. Same on guitar as on piano. So even tho I am new to ukulele and still a beginner on guitar, I have no trouble with knowing the chords.

So for you to learn chords, I recommend a piano and guitar playing friends and u tube. U tube has a lot to offer, especially for beginners. Learn to read music. Learn chords. Once you learn chords, chord melody is a snap.
I do not have any friends, with piano or guitar. I was asking about the make up of chords not how to play them.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM

This is a very informative thread
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 AM

Thank you JonPR, I have a better understanding of the Circle of Fifths, I really must get down to learning the theory much better.

Last edited by meddyliol; 08-09-2018 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 08-09-2018, 08:51 AM

There is no easy way to understand chords.

Start simple.

Learn a little music theory.

Learn all the notes on the fretboard.

Do not use chord charts, build them as needed.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 AM

A guy by the name of Pebber Brown has some good YouTube videos on music theory that explain how scales and chords are made and how chords are related to each other.

Btw, don’t get too testy, starting the thread does mean you rule it. Folks are trying to help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write