The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-25-2018, 04:42 PM

Default GASing for Taylor T5z... What price to shoot for.

Hello,

I am GASing for Taylor T5z. List price is $3199. What out the door price or shipped to the door price, do you think is reasonably achievable?
Old 07-26-2018, 02:46 AM

...they are ridicuosly cheap on the used market. Really.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeperbahn View Post
...they are ridicuosly cheap on the used market. Really.
Really. Should consider used. I see them for sale on Craig’s all the time and the asking is around 1,200.00. You could probably get one for 1k or even less. They are really nice guitars though. I love mine.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:39 AM

A new guitar gets you a warranty of course, but used T5's I have found to be pretty solid. I have played a used one where it seemed like the high e string was not being amplified as well as the rest.
If you get a used one from guitar center and return it all you pay is the shipping (about 20) to your store or house, (unless you found one at your local guitar center). 45 days to return but no warranty.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM

Have you tried one? I think this is one of those guitars that you either love it or hate it.
I thought a T5 would be a good fit for me, so I tried one out in a store. To each his own, not to bash anyone else's taste, but between the confusing controls, awkward neck, and neither-fish-nor-fowl tone, I thought it was an awful guitar.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:55 PM

I gigged with a T5z for a few years and the tiny PCB mounted pots and the early production custom Megaswitch (Schaller redesigned it with a rivet because the main tension screw comes loose and the switch is intermittent with a loose screw but the redesign won't take Taylor's custom PCB) made it quite unreliable as an electric guitar where you're changing the pickup selection often and tweaking the volume for your overdrive pedal. I ended up buying a solder vacuum and hunting down replacement POTs (Taylor will only sell you refurbed PCBs and the electronics warranty is short). The switch is easy to fix but a hassle to get at (you have to remove the main PCB to remove the switch).

If you plan low mileage usage, then used is the way to go. I took a beating when I sold it on eBay.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 07-26-2018 at 05:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars