The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-05-2018, 03:44 PM

Default Drive through old mansion area with tambura music

Hi!

This summer I have visited some places in Finnish nature. I have took camera with me and sometimes I improvise in that same place something and record it. These places have been cliffs, old mansions, IWW fortress cave, gardens. I found this very interesting and inspiring way of working.

Here is my latest video where I drive trough Herttoniemi Mansion Garden in Finland. The music is composed for this video and played with guitar and tambura. The first song has most jazzy influences. This time recording wasn't made in that place.

I hope you enjoy the ride!

Kindest, Mikko
Old 07-13-2018, 01:00 PM

Mikko:

Wonderful job, as always. You are a great player on the tambura. I enjoyed the jazzy theme as I haven't heard the tambura used in that fashion before.

It has me wondering about obtaining a similar instrument here in the US. I also play with a lot of jazz and classical influences, and the mandolin fretboard is too small and crowded for my stubby fingers. I have considered an octave mandolin or cittern. Is the tamboura similar scale length?

Also, do you use a pickup or mic (or both)? The sound is quite pleasant.

Thanks for posting this!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-13-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Mikko:

Wonderful job, as always. You are a great player on the tambura. I enjoyed the jazzy theme as I haven't heard the tambura used in that fashion before.

It has me wondering about obtaining a similar instrument here in the US. I also play with a lot of jazz and classical influences, and the mandolin fretboard is too small and crowded for my stubby fingers. I have considered an octave mandolin or cittern. Is the tamboura similar scale length?

Also, do you use a pickup or mic (or both)? The sound is quite pleasant.

Thanks for posting this!
Thanks a lot Gordon!

It has quite long neck if compared to it body-size. That for you need almost necessarily strap to hold the neck up. If I put my stratocaster and tambura side by side tambura's 12th fret is on the place of stratocaster's 11th fret.

I haven't installed pickup yet for this. Normally in acoustic instruments I use both pick up and mic together. But I have had only one gig with this instrument yet and then I used Audio technica's condenser mic on the hole. It worked well.

There is some special things with this instrument. The pick is traditionally made some plastic you can get and it's square shaped. Also it's turned up in a direction and hold with three fingers. To find the sound I needed months to find it and I still practice a lot to get good sound. Different techniques, tremolo, rest-stroke, alternate picking etc. needs changing picking techniques more than with guitar.

The sound of this instrument is quite piercing and the touch and holding of this instrument is very akward for some time when you get it. It's very old instrument that has heritages in Bulgaria the land what is very different, original. They nod their heads when they mean no and shake their heads when they mean yes.
I mean by this that it's not easy instrument to get good sound in first touch.

One important thing is also that they don't have so much export sales for this instrument and I don't know can you trust all online shops. There are few. I got my tambura from Mihail Dinchev who is pro tambura player living in Stockholm. He organized everything in Bulgaria so I got instrument that is top level. It's customized by Ljubomir Vladimirov who is playing in Bulgarian National Radio Ochestra.

Here is link for Mihail's site (it's in Swedish)
http://aideaide.com/instrumentbutik.html

And here you can see little better the size of my tambura

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments