The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-25-2021, 09:51 PM

Default Swapping pickups

Had this pickup since February, and today I snapped the high e so I figure it’s a good time to install it. The removal of the old pickup was fairly straight forward. The problem was trying to install the new one (Dimarzio).

It didn’t come with the hardware necessary to install in a cavity. All it came with was with long springs and screws to install on a pick guard. I just realized this is the first time I’m trying to install a pickup in a cavity and not a pick guard. Any tips?
Old 04-26-2021, 07:09 PM

I’m guessing the Dimarzio is on the left.

It appears that the pickup mounts directly to the body with the springs holding it up.

It looks like you’re going to have to route out the cavity since the new pickup is full depth and then fabricate some way to support the new pickup. I can’t see any other way to make it work.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 04-26-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I’m guessing the Dimarzio is on the left.

It appears that the pickup mounts directly to the body with the springs holding it up.

It looks like you’re going to have to route out the cavity since the new pickup is full depth and then fabricate some way to support the new pickup. I can’t see any other way to make it work.

I talked to my uncle who is a luthier and he told me exactly that. I have to route the cavity to make it work. A bit past my skill level but he told me he’ll walk me through it if I’m willing to. I’m not sure if I wanna make a irreversible mod on a guitar I’m not sure I’ll keep.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:55 AM

Good news is that I didn’t have to route the cavity. Removed the factory springs but left the foam felts and prayed for the best. The pickup didn’t go as low as I wanted, but it did fit. Only thing is that it is loud because it’s so much closer to the strings. Only way to have some more adjustability is by routing the cavity, but I don’t want to make an irreversible mod in this guitar.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:47 AM

Looking good. Odd that a standard DiMarzio pickup wouldn't fit an Ibanez pickup cavity that would enable the pickup to be lowered more than that. Must be a thin body.

What DiMarzio is it?
Old 05-02-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Looking good. Odd that a standard DiMarzio pickup wouldn't fit an Ibanez pickup cavity that would enable the pickup to be lowered more than that. Must be a thin body.

What DiMarzio is it?

It’s a Dreamcatcher 7. It’s the newest of the John Petrucci signature line. The neck one is called the Rainmaker, and has been back ordered since February. Had this pickup laying around since then, and got an email from Sweetwater to not expect the neck pickup until mid-late summer.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:19 PM

Just a thought, and maybe a little wacky to some, but instead of routing the cavity, maybe a shim in the neck pocket would give you a little more room above he neck pickup that you would like. You would have to raise the bridge saddles to compensate a bit. I got a little more room over my Jag pickup when I shimmed my neck. I used a .5 degree shim from Stew Mac.

The shims are fairly inexpensive.

https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/sh...ign=2021-05-gp
Old 05-02-2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Just a thought, and maybe a little wacky to some, but instead of routing the cavity, maybe a shim in the neck pocket would give you a little more room above he neck pickup that you would like. You would have to raise the bridge saddles to compensate a bit. I got a little more room over my Jag pickup when I shimmed my neck. I used a .5 degree shim from Stew Mac.

The shims are fairly inexpensive.

https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/sh...ign=2021-05-gp

Oh definitely worth trying! Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars