The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-09-2021, 01:26 AM

Default New Guitar Collection

Don't post much here any more I just lurk.

But figured I would share my electric collection I bought since lockdown condemned me to my apartment for, well, about a year now....

Acoustic is okay...but i needed variety and one thing lead to the other...

1. Ibanez RG550
2. Ibanez RG950
3. Squier 70s Strat
4. Affinity Tele in butterscotch
5. 99 dollar Squier strat from pawnshop

I run them through the Boss ME80 and into the Bose S1. I use the Alesis SR18 drum machine.

RG550

Great Les Paul type sound, fast neck, very clean pronounced tone.

RG950

Japanese made Ibanez...yeh, that says it all. Japanese built are better, there is no comparison. Tone not as clear as the 550 but its like playing silk

Squier 70s Strat

Sounds great to me. Not sure a US Strat would be a big souind improvement. Its a Strat and you know...well, any sound you want...

Cheap Bullet Strat

You just gotta have one. It sounds like the old Strats and the neck is to die for.

Got me through the lockdown and into my golden years. I play it all through a headphone amp for more gain, with some open back $600 headphones, take yer pick...open back are like listening to loudspeakers not as boxy as closed.

I use the Boss looper and can play over my own jam tracks for hours.

Kept me sane, or helpfully insane, not sure which. In Canada, well, things are going pretty slow on the ole getting back to normal front..so I am happy to have these to keep me ..sane.

Any questions about electrics, ask away. I think I watched every youtube review of every guitar.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
...Any questions about electrics, ask away. I think I watched every YouTube review of every guitar.
You need a hollowbody :

Old 05-09-2021, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I thought, sometimes, about you guys locked down in 3rd story apartments
in big cities, and wondered how you stayed sane...

Here's what I see (and hear) outside my front door where I was locked down ...

https://hubcapsc.com/misc/woodpecker.mov

-Mike "streaming not supported on hubcapsc.com"
Old 05-09-2021, 06:51 AM

Davis, you've got a great RG550, one of the most iconic Ibanez guitars in the rock/metal world. What year is it?
Old 05-09-2021, 07:07 AM

Really? I heard something about that. I think its 2010?

Steve, yeh, I hear ya. ....or a Gretsch like Justin Hayward of the Moodies plays....
Old 05-09-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Really? I heard something about that. I think its 2010?
The RG550 came out in the late 80s and then was introduced a few years ago. I didn't realize there was a 550 in 2010. Is there anything else in the model number, like 550EX? There have been so many variations over the years.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Hi Davis,

Nice to hear from you! It's good to read that you are finding a way to get through this pandemic and all the isolation.

Like you, I often plug into my Boss ME80 going to a powered JBL speaker. It's not overly loud and I have a lot more control over the volume, it still sounds like an electric guitar, and it's really simple and easy.

- Glenn
Old 05-11-2021, 12:06 AM

Hi Davis,

Congrats on your new herd.

i think we went on the same journey during lockdown, i didnt really have Ibanez on my radar and within a week grabbed the S6521Q prestige ,JBM100, then a G and L fell into my lap. expensive week.

the made in Japan stuff is incredible on ibanez !!!!

it was added to :

MIM Fender strat SSS
G&L HSS legacy USA
Epiphone standard pro LP

looking to now add a semi or hollow body, either epiphone 335, or save up for gibson, look at Gretsch. I was about to throw down the cash on a fabulous Duesenburg, till i heard the back story, and wasnt willing to drop that level of cash.

also often play through my ME-80, although gas led me to a helix floor, i am still learning.

would love some suggestions in the semi or hollow body side, from epiphone to gibson. i have also gonee through so many reviews, its hard to decide and overwhelming, looking to add rather than simply add redundancy.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB123 View Post
Hi Davis,

Congrats on your new herd.

i think we went on the same journey during lockdown, i didnt really have Ibanez on my radar and within a week grabbed the S6521Q prestige ,JBM100, then a G and L fell into my lap. expensive week.

the made in Japan stuff is incredible on ibanez !!!!

it was added to :

MIM Fender strat SSS
G&L HSS legacy USA
Epiphone standard pro LP

looking to now add a semi or hollow body, either epiphone 335, or save up for gibson, look at Gretsch. I was about to throw down the cash on a fabulous Duesenburg, till i heard the back story, and wasnt willing to drop that level of cash.

also often play through my ME-80, although gas led me to a helix floor, i am still learning.

would love some suggestions in the semi or hollow body side, from epiphone to gibson. i have also gonee through so many reviews, its hard to decide and overwhelming, looking to add rather than simply add redundancy.
Epiphone has something called “Wildkat”. It is not a remake of anything as it is their own original model. A semi hollow with two P90 pickups. Really nice workmen ship and really fun to play. How do I know? I saw it in the guitar shop I frequent, the flame maple top and mahogany back and sides caught my eye, so I picked it up. It shocked me how good it sounded (first Epiphone) and being a bit smaller then say a 335 it really felt nice. I thought I was maybe having a GAS moment so didn’t buy it. Thought about that axe for 2 weeks. Went back to the shop, played it again and ended up walking out with it. Have had for a year and it has been my most played electric in that time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars