The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-30-2023, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
. . . [T]he '57 Classics are capable of many interesting tones when used in combination, dialing in subtleties of tone color with the individual volume/tone controls, and speaking as the past/present owner of several single volume/tone 2- and 3-PU guitars you might want to give your decision some more thought . . . .
Heh heh. Different strokes! I've had three humbugger-loaded four-knob Gibsons. What you say about dialing in tones is true (see Eric), but trying to dial in those subtleties is, for this boy, just a distraction. Likewise, I've found that humboogies iron out too many subtleties. So I have more luck and fun playing single-coil-loaded Stats and Teles: a livelier sound, and I spend less time twiddling knobs and more time rocking out.

In fact, although a Tele tone knob is great for a wide voice palette, a Strat's tone knobs almost always want to be wide open. If you glued down mine, I wouldn't notice for a year.

I'm no pro, but I know what I like!
Old 01-02-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
P90s are their own thing, no humbucker or even a strat/tele pickup will ever sound like them. But the noise can be distracting.
with any kind of "gain" at all on the amp settings, a good noise gate in front of the amp is almost essential.

as to your question about coil taps, changing the sound even when they are not engaged?

I've always read that they will slightly change the sound, since it's just added "Stuff" for the single to pass thru. Can we actually "hear" that, I have no idea.
I probably won’t take the risk. Il have my tele for single coils and my SG for humbuckers
Old 01-03-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
I probably won’t take the risk. Il have my tele for single coils and my SG for humbuckers

yea Stand by with that idea for sure

However a Telecaster is a far cry from a Gibson solid body with P90s.

For example:

The other consideration is that P90s are not a drop in for Humbuckers,
you could try P94s which ARE sized appropriately to refit with humbuckers

but, that's a leap of faith, what if you dislike them?

humbuckers, you know what you got.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
classic 57, guitar, pick up install