The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Scott, Why would anyone want to buy any other guitar and pickup system after hearing this demo? I sure wouldn't! Oh, I wonder if there is a mic in the mix? Or, maybe, heaven forbid, all kinds of EQ adjustments? By now, you should be hearing my demos as the "naked truth" of how pickup systems sound direct-to-computer, Flat EQ, No Effects, and No Mics in the mix. Most of my pickup system demos--unless I state so-- will sound wonderful when amped and EQ'ed to taste. Then again, they'll all sound like the Sirens's song when recorded with an--ahem--wayward microphone somewhere in the room or maybe it's on Jupiter and of course, it'll have no effect on the recording because I'm facing the guitar away from the mic regardless of room reflections entering the mic from all over the place.
I do wonder if there's a mic involved as it does sound very natural. Sometimes though it can be nice to hear eq'd examples of a pickup. That way, it shows that it is possible to make it sound the way I would like.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
https://youtu.be/hoH4iDVX9FM

I stumbled across this demo as well. Honestly, the early demos I heard were not great but they seem to be getting better. I am more curious about trying this now. I just don’t have a guitar that needs a pickup.
Scott, after watching the video again. and just listening to my LR Baggs HiFi/Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass rig through my VOX AGA150 amp at a 5-foot listening distance, I can pretty much believe the excellent HiFi tone from the video's guitar. It could be very well a non-mic'ed demo. I'm now loving my HiFi after getting some owner-operator issues resolved with the guitar and the HiFi.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-29-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I feel like I can hear the room in that video. I’m pretty sure there’s a mic as well.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I feel like I can hear the room in that video. I’m pretty sure there’s a mic as well.
I am sure there is. I posted a message asking if it was direct or not. We shall see what they say.

I want to give the HiFi a try but as with any product, Canadians often have to wait a good month or two later before it lands at dealers. I am also pretty happy with my Powertap Infinity, I just can't seem to get the grounding hum under control.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Scott, Why would anyone want to buy any other guitar and pickup system after hearing this demo? I sure wouldn't! Oh, I wonder if there is a mic in the mix? Or, maybe, heaven forbid, all kinds of EQ adjustments? By now, you should be hearing my demos as the "naked truth" of how pickup systems sound direct-to-computer, Flat EQ, No Effects, and No Mics in the mix. Most of my pickup system demos--unless I state so-- will sound wonderful when amped and EQ'ed to taste. Then again, they'll all sound like the Sirens's song when recorded with an--ahem--wayward microphone somewhere in the room or maybe it's on Jupiter and of course, it'll have no effect on the recording because I'm facing the guitar away from the mic regardless of room reflections entering the mic from all over the place.
It does sound "very natural" for sure. I would have an issue with acoustic bleed as that really misrepresents the tone of the pickup as the stand alone sound source. I don't have a problem if someone EQs the hell out of the signal as long as they say so. None of us play amplified without adjusting the tone to what we think sounds the best
Old 05-30-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Whether recorded or through an amp, I prefer the Detent Tone Wheel position of the LR Baggs HiFi. Be aware that going from Detent to full-Treble on the Tone Wheel adds a few decibels to the signal strength. This can be good when going from a flat-picking to a fingerpicking song as the extra treble tone and volume can be a boon in a live-playing situation when switching to fingerpicking without reaching for your sound system's controls. Just leave the HiFi's Volume on Full and let the Tone Wheel dial you in as you go back and forth between flat-picking and fingerpicking.
Ken, A few months ago, when I was experimenting with a couple different mag pickups and a Boss GE-7 graphic equalizer, I noticed that I tended to prefer a mag sound where the 3.2KHz was cut down quite a bit and the 6.4KHz was cut even more. Reading your observations on the tone wheel, I’m wondering if turning up the tone wheel will not only boost the volume a bit, but also fill in those high harmonics which are missing in the mag signal. (Presuming that I’m blending in some mag signal for some extra boost and that “cut through the din” factor.)

Don’t ask me why I prefer a mag signal with the high end so drastically reduced, I just do. Of course, different mag pickups will have different frequency responses. I don’t expect to be treating them all the same. The Shadow NanoMag has way too much high end for my personal taste.

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-30-2023 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I ordered a Hi-Fi from Sweetwater a month ago. They are showing "Still waiting for product." on the order. I emailed them and asked when. They responded they expect to receive a shipment in a week.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I ordered a Hi-Fi from Sweetwater a month ago. They are showing "Still waiting for product." on the order. I emailed them and asked when. They responded they expect to receive a shipment in a week.
Hey Marshall, you can place your order so you are on the waiting list. They won't charge your card until it is available and ships.

FYI - I am absolutely loving the musicality I am getting from the Baggs HiFi I installed in my Collings D1 Traditional. The guitar is sensational acoustically for openers. The Pickup is doing such an admirable job, I am shocked quite honestly.

Note: I run the tone knob all the way to the right of the center detent and then I back it to the left maybe 10%. That works really well done me. I get plenty of detail. If I run the tone knob at the center detent or rolled toward the neck, the PU can sound harsh. So I roll the tone knob where it sounds good. (All this is done through my acoustic amp (Fishman Loudbox Artist) or through a single o pair of Bose L1 Pro 8 towers.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-02-2023, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

I ordered it a month ago.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Hey Marshall, you can place your order so you are on the waiting list. They won't charge your card until it is available and ships.

FYI - I am absolutely loving the musicality I am getting from the Baggs HiFi I installed in my Collings D1 Traditional. The guitar is sensational acoustically for openers. The Pickup is doing such an admirable job, I am shocked quite honestly.

Note: I run the tone knob all the way to the right of the center detent and then I back it to the left maybe 10%. That works really well done me. I get plenty of detail. If I run the tone knob at the center detent or rolled toward the neck, the PU can sound harsh. So I roll the tone knob where it sounds good. (All this is done through my acoustic amp (Fishman Loudbox Artist) or through a single o pair of Bose L1 Pro 8 towers.
After getting my LR Baggs HiFi/Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass rig sorted out, I concur with Groberts that the LR Baggs HiFi is a really good system and for $200 USD, it's a no-brainer decision to buy it!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-03-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
After getting my LR Baggs HiFi/Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass rig sorted out, I concur with Groberts that the LR Baggs HiFi is a really good system and for $200 USD, it's a no-brainer decision to buy it!
I just did my first Duo gig with HiFi tonight and I was super happy with how it performed. It continues to sound musical and very well balanced.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-04-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
In Canada, it’s not even listed on dealer pages as a new product. I can’t even preorder if I want to.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
In Canada, it’s not even listed on dealer pages as a new product. I can’t even preorder if I want to.
Scott, so once this system once again becomes available down yonder, you go to Buffalo, New York, buy one at a dealer that has them, and smuggle that sucker back North!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 06-08-2023, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It came in today's mail.

Probably over the weekend I'll do the install. I'm removing a UST and installing a new saddle, so there's some work to be done.
Old 06-10-2023, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It came in today's mail.

Probably over the weekend I'll do the install. I'm removing a UST and installing a new saddle, so there's some work to be done.
Marshall, I'm looking forward to your LR Baggs Hifi installation results. If you have any questions, feel free.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification