The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-25-2023, 10:46 AM
Guest 61722

Default I might have to forego a D-18...

... and get myself an electric guitar. :0)

Someone just figured out how to solo! I think my brain might explode (in a good way!)

Happy Guitar Saturday.
Happy Guitar Every Day.

You all can start calling me The Shredder.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:04 AM

That's cool! Which electric guitars/amps are you thinking about?

Variety is the spice of life. Go for it, The Shredder. Hmmm, how about Mr. Shredder? Go for it! Mr. Shredder.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:18 AM

Well, let's face it; electric guitars are the real lookers in the guitar world!
Old 03-25-2023, 11:22 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
That's cool! Which electric guitars/amps are you thinking about?

Variety is the spice of life. Go for it, The Shredder. Hmmm, how about Mr. Shredder? Go for it! Mr. Shredder.
Not a clue! Never thought I would want one. It'll be a while. I'm a "Ms. Shredder," actually.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:23 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Well, let's face it; electric guitars are the real lookers in the guitar world!
I am totally clueless on the electric guitar front. But yeah, those bendy strings are going to become a necessity on this path of shredding. LOL. I guess I could balance out the austere beauty of the 000-18 with something really flashy in an electric. As long as it goes to 11, should be fine.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:24 AM
Get off my lawn kid

If I were to get an electric the first thing I would try to learn is the solo to Sultan of Swing.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-25-2023, 11:25 AM
Guest 61722

The really interesting thing about this miraculous breakthrough is that it opens up the door for ALL KINDS of other music now. Electric blues. Hard rock and heavy metal. So many more songs to learn!
Old 03-25-2023, 11:27 AM

I just did a trade-in on one of my Godins for a Fender Stratocaster Pro II 'Dark Night' with maple board. The thing is just way too beautiful to actually play!
Old 03-25-2023, 11:29 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
If I were to get an electric the first thing I would try to learn is the solo to Sultan of Swing.
Good suggestion! It appears to be in the key of Dm, according to Ultimate Guitar Tabs. You can use the Dm pentatonic scale and just solo your heart out there.

The main thing is now that I have figured out how the scales, the box shapes and the chords and song keys work together, I can improvise any solo I like. I don't have to be a slave to a tab or even to the original recording.

I can just... SHRED!
Old 03-25-2023, 11:30 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I just did a trade-in on one of my Godins for a Fender Stratocaster Pro II 'Dark Night' with maple board. The thing is just way too beautiful to actually play!
Oh, no! None of that! They're even more beautiful when you play them.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
Not a clue! Never thought I would want one. It'll be a while. I'm a "Ms. Shredder," actually.
This is great. I really like the ambiguity of "The Shredder".
Old 03-25-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Ah, sorry! Just assumed only old guys here on AGF

I went thru many electric guitars (a quick count = 7, but I probably missed some) and even more amps than guitars in my 2 years of playing.

I highly prefer a compound radius neck where it's round on the bottom for chording and flat on the top for bending/shredding. I also prefer the strat body shape with the cut outs vs Gibson Les Paul/Telecaster's slab of wood.

I don't really care if its single coil or humbucker, but I don't like muddy/super-high-gain humbuckers. I can switch pickups pretty easily anyway (with the Stratocaster, it's just a pickguard replacement, only slightly more involved than string change).

I found that amps are very important. I just don't like some amp tones no matter how much I mess with the download patches and settings (such as the highly popular Boss Katana series). So, I'm more picky about amps than guitars.

One thing that I've found super convenient and whished that I started out with is a wireless connection. Once I went there, I've never looked back. But, I don't play outside the house with electric so no idea about interference.

The only pedal I own is a looper, but I don't use it like a looper (except for the first few days). I use it like a portable mini recorder to review my practice. Now I use video to record my practice so I don't use this pedal any more. (I'm not counting the multi-effects pedals that I've owned: Boss GT-1 and Line 6 Pod Go Wireless. I found those to be inconvenient because I have to turn them on and an amp on. I guess I'm not too much into effects ATM.)

If you use the trem a lot and doing deep dives, I'd get something with locking nuts and bridge. But, I think most shred-worthy guitars Ms Shredder would consider will have this feature anyway
Old 03-25-2023, 12:38 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
Ah, sorry! Just assumed only old guys here on AGF
No chance! Plenty of shreddin' old ladies on AGF, too.

Quote:
I went thru many electric guitars (a quick count = 7, but I probably missed some) and even more amps than guitars in my 2 years of playing.
You have clearly found your tribe here on AGF.

Quote:

I highly prefer a compound radius neck where it's round on the bottom for chording and flat on the top for bending/shredding. I also prefer the strat body shape with the cut outs vs Gibson Les Paul/Telecaster's slab of wood.

I don't really care if its single coil or humbucker, but I don't like muddy/super-high-gain humbuckers. I can switch pickups pretty easily anyway (with the Stratocaster, it's just a pickguard replacement, only slightly more involved than string change).

I found that amps are very important. I just don't like some amp tones no matter how much I mess with the download patches and settings (such as the highly popular Boss Katana series). So, I'm more picky about amps than guitars.

One thing that I've found super convenient and whished that I started out with is a wireless connection. Once I went there, I've never looked back. But, I don't play outside the house with electric so no idea about interference.

The only pedal I own is a looper, but I don't use it like a looper (except for the first few days). I use it like a portable mini recorder to review my practice. Now I use video to record my practice so I don't use this pedal any more. (I'm not counting the multi-effects pedals that I've owned: Boss GT-1 and Line 6 Pod Go Wireless. I found those to be inconvenient because I have to turn them on and an amp on. I guess I'm not too much into effects ATM.)

If you use the trem a lot and doing deep dives, I'd get something with locking nuts and bridge. But, I think most shred-worthy guitars Ms Shredder would consider will have this feature anyway
Great information! I think this will all make more sense when I start looking, though I'm just as likely to go into local music shop and ask for the "Shredder's Intro Package" so I can quickly get a feel for how it all works together with the amp and the guitar, etc. Oh yippee! Tons of gear. I have loads of time to get more complicated and nuanced once I know what I'm actually doing.

Thank you for all the info. It will come in handy.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:55 PM

Janine/MadamShred!
Your enthusiasm has had me smiling all afternoon long.
I want the whole story, please. What happened to have this ah-ha moment generating what seems to be a quantum leap into new found guitar chops?

Inquiring minds want to know!

frank d.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
No chance! Plenty of shreddin' old ladies on AGF, too...
As the husband of a would-be headbanger (who rediscovered her country-/folk-rock side and spent the last two years of our most recent band's existence playing a Guild semi-hollow electric 12-string), welcome to the "dark side"...
Quote:
...Great information! I think this will all make more sense when I start looking, though I'm just as likely to go into local music shop and ask for the "Shredder's Intro Package" so I can quickly get a feel for how it all works together with the amp and the guitar, etc. Oh yippee! Tons of gear. I have loads of time to get more complicated and nuanced once I know what I'm actually doing...
Perhaps it's my own personal preferences speaking here, but the "Shredders' Intro Package" isn't too much different from the "(Name your favorite style) Intro Package" of the last 75+ years: a basic guitar-cable-amp setup with a minimum of bells and whistles, only differences being the type of guitar (solidbody is a must, slim/shallow neck profile and "hot" pickups preferred) and the necessity of separate preamp gain and master volume controls on your amp. FWIW you already have a solid (no pun intended) background in acoustic guitar technique/tone - you know when it sounds/feels right - and much like the A-listers all did when they were on their way up, you'll learn the most about the contributions each change makes on your tone by blocking out some quality time and twisting dails/flipping switches until you find the sound(s) you like. While I'm sure there will be those who differ on this point, in favor of a modeling rig (which does admittedly offer the advantage of instant gratification to a beginner), if you are in fact "totally clueless on the electric guitar front" IME the best way to proceed is the "crawl-before-you-walk/walk-before-you-run" approach - learning the gear fundamentals from the get-go allows you to make informed decisions/purchases down the line, as you grow your tone arsenal (and you will - trust me ) in your own words "once [you] know what [you're] actually doing"...

All the best...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars