The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-28-2023, 03:18 PM

Why would anyone want a bevel on the bass side of the upper bout? Or am I seeing wrong?

The guitar is nice looking; I would guess it is intended to be played plugged in.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:10 PM

If your commenting on the guitar in the opening post I believe what you are seeing as a bevel is in fact the sound hole.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:54 PM

Seems to work well acoustically, at least another one of his. I could not find a good acoustic recording of the other guitar. And besides, we can never get enough of Michael Watts.

Watching the video I got a better sense of the guitar size and shape, I see how the bass lower bout can drop off, the guitar has enough real estate to do it. I won't be that big which will limit what I can get away with.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:47 PM

I just hated to throw it out so it sat in the corner. Finally decided to see how full a sound I could get out of my first "guitar" where the body was a routed out block of spruce. Cut the top and back off, put a spruce top on it and poplar on the back (top with the joint over an inch, was not going to waste good wood for this). Used what I thought might work in terms of bracing to get the most out of a thin Telecaster sized instrument. Not much room to get in and adjust stuff so I just went by feel hoping I got somewhere in between too much and not enough. Tapping the top and back does not have the resonance of my other guitars but it does have enough that I am curious to hear what it will give up. It is an experiment so it will not look like too much when finished.

The side profile shows how I may have been confused by Tyler's work (first post), going to have to decide what I am going to do about the bridge.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Watching the video I got a better sense of the guitar size and shape, I see how the bass lower bout can drop off, the guitar has enough real estate to do it. I won't be that big which will limit what I can get away with.
I'm fortunate to own one of Tyler's Cadenza models similar to the video. The "Amber" on his website. I don't know if I'd call it a bevel in the normal acoustic guitar usage but there is a narrowing in the rear upper bout that makes the guitar very comfortable.

The main width is 3" and the upper rear is about 2.3".

Tyler's craftsmanship is next level.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownheron View Post
I'm fortunate to own one of Tyler's Cadenza models similar to the video. The "Amber" on his website. I don't know if I'd call it a bevel in the normal acoustic guitar usage but there is a narrowing in the rear upper bout that makes the guitar very comfortable.

The main width is 3" and the upper rear is about 2.3".

Tyler's craftsmanship is next level.
I was confused at how the body was made until I saw it at another angle and realized it was not a bevel. After hearing Bruce bought one I just expected the quality of the build to be top notch. I hope to make an archtop or two some day, have two top blanks waiting on the shelf. My finishing needs some refining though. This current build is ready for the bridge to be glued one. Probably tomorrow.

Last edited by printer2; 12-02-2023 at 06:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair