The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-06-2023, 09:00 PM

Default Overdrive question

hi I recently got back into playing my Tele again. I use a tiny Bugera amp. I always play clean ,but if I want some overdrive ,I have to adjust the Gain and Volume. Is there a pedal where I can get some SLIGHT overdrive with just a click of a pedal? I don't really like distortion much but in a few weeks I will be jamming with friends , so I want ,maybe even a volume boost for leads.[I ain't much of a lead guy either].Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

There's literally hundreds of them (well, almost). You can just look on Craigslist or Reverb and get something used and cheap. Boss has the SD-1 which is a generic overdrive.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:19 PM

One good thing about OD pedals is that there are so many to pick from. Another is that you can get a really good one for $40. You can also spend $400 dollars on one, and some people do, but it’s absolutely not necessary. I’d check out some the pedals from Donner, Caline, Joyo, etc - the Chinese companies do some very cool takes on classic pedal designs. They’re clones, but have their own things going on, too. And they’re inexpensive. I have many overdrives. I like to keep the gain low on them, and stack them if I want more grit on something. Some, like a Caline Orange Buzzer, add a nice top-end shimmer to the OD. There are other ones that do that, too, to varying degrees. You may or may not want that with a Tele, but I like it with all my guitars.
Happy hunting.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:33 PM

I have a Tele and Bugera V5, so it sounds similar to your setup. I really like my Earthquaker Devices Plumes. It has three modes with one being pretty much just a boost. Not so many options it's hard to figure out. Enough to have some fun playing around.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
...I use a tiny Bugera amp. I always play clean, but if I want some overdrive I have to adjust the Gain and Volume...
You just need a bigger Bugera amp, that's all :

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

- or if you still want to keep things small and you have a spare cab lying around, this little tone monster costs about as much as some of the better OD stompboxes, and if you're handy with a soldering iron (and don't mind voiding the warranty) the push-button Phat control (which boosts the gain and bypasses the tone stack) can be converted to foot-pedal operation:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ss-a-tube-head

FYI it's also a great dedicated headphone practice amp, one of the very few that can lay claim to real-deal tube circuitry...
Old 03-07-2023, 12:31 AM

3 classics that belong on any pedal board.

Boss SD-1
Boss Blues Driver
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Old 03-07-2023, 05:34 AM

this ^-- and. Fulltone OCD

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-07-2023, 06:59 AM

How does your amp react if you dial Gain and Volume for the mild overdrive that you want - and then dial back the Volume on the guitar?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-07-2023, 07:26 AM

Here’s a simple solution for a great price:

https://www.amazon.com/JOYO-Low-Gain...dDbGljaz10cnVl

You can dial in a nice mild crunch and just leave it. It’s the one I use.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-07-2023, 08:19 AM

I've literally been through dozens of overdrives. IMO the best affordable OD for a transparent clean boost that can also add some grit is the Caline Pure Sky. It is very similar to a Timmy. $31.00. Fabulous pedal.

https://www.amazon.com/Caline-Guitar.../dp/B07BK51JHB
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-07-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
How does your amp react if you dial Gain and Volume for the mild overdrive that you want - and then dial back the Volume on the guitar?
I do like the sound when it is JUST breaking up a little. This works but it is inconvenient to keep playing with the knobs . I 'm in a cramped corner with my gear and it 's a pain to work my way in there to get to the amp. These other pedals you guys are showing seem to be a bit too much , I guess ya can dial em back ,but I 've never owned one .
Old 03-07-2023, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I do like the sound when it is JUST breaking up a little. This works but it is inconvenient to keep playing with the knobs . I 'm in a cramped corner with my gear and it 's a pain to work my way in there to get to the amp. These other pedals you guys are showing seem to be a bit too much , I guess ya can dial em back ,but I 've never owned one .
…yes you can dial most overdrive pedals back to little or no distortion….you can also roll back your guitars volume knob when using an OD pedal to get less distortion….just get any well regarded pedal in your price range and give it a go….and don’t pay too much attention to videos….they’re all over the map in terms of what any pedal is capable of…
Old 03-07-2023, 09:24 AM

yea like has been said you can dial in whatever amount of gain you want, just like your amp but, in a pedal.

you can also get a bit of control with your guitars volume, especially with a set of humbuckers.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-07-2023, 09:59 AM

I could not be happier with my Klon clone. I hear the EHX Soul Food is a good one at a reasonable price.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I could not be happier with my Klon clone. I hear the EHX Soul Food is a good one at a reasonable price.
Me too - I have a TC Zeus ‘klone’, also modestly priced.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars