The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
So do you record the classicals at a distance in omni or cardioid?

I've been recording at a distance in cardioid and I like the tone.
Cardioid. Usually with a pair of Sennheiser mkh40's or 406's.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlwhite View Post
Apologies for the possible double-post*, but after posting in show/tell, I realized that this thread had the earlier 4050 recording and might be worth updating with the new recording:

This is the AT4050s in omni, much closer to the guitar (closer than my KM184s, so mebbe 8-10 inches off the neck-join and 10-12 off the mid-lower-bout).

I did add a little compression/verb here - which is my 'normal' post-processing VST work in Reaper (DAW).

I like this sound - so I'm pleased that the comments in this thread and the old one prompted me to try more stuff with the AT 4050s! Thanks all!

Tom

*mods: if you need to delete one of the vids or posts, then I guess this one can go, and I'll reference the show/tell one?
I went back and forth between your first recording(listening to both the 4050's & 184's) and this new one a couple of times. I had to lower the gain on the new recording to equal that of the first recording. Did not use any meters to level...just a relative adjustment by ear on my volume knob.

This new recording with Omni's Closer....OH MY....What a difference! So open & full sounding! All of the ambience of the guitar surrounds you. Yes you should be very pleased!

Being miced in closer, the Compressor was necessary to level the playing field. ....However, I feel this allowed that big open sound I am hearing. As the Omni's captured the entire body sound, while the compressor leveled.

Obviously, this is still a slightly enhanced sound (when you level the dynamics). And some may not like it because of that, saying that this is not a natural sound. But in many ways, this represents the sound I hear, when I lean my head over the body while playing. Yes it is enhanced a bit, But I like it! The sound surrounds you.

As Jim1960 has previously pointed out, sometimes a big sound like this may not stick out in an entire mix of drums, bass, symphony. Sometimes a more focused sound is what is needed. But in solo guitar...and probably solo guitar and voice..this is quite lovely.

Please share with us the type compressor & settings used.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
... Yes you should be very pleased!

Being miced in closer, the Compressor was necessary to level the playing field. ....However, I feel this allowed that big open sound I am hearing. As the Omni's captured the entire body sound, while the compressor leveled.

....But in many ways, this represents the sound I hear, when I lean my head over the body while playing. Yes it is enhanced a bit, But I like it! The sound surrounds you.

...But in solo guitar...and probably solo guitar and voice..this is quite lovely.

Please share with us the type compressor & settings used.
Thanks K&G! I'm pleased, yes. I don't always use a compressor on my recorings, but if there's strumming and single-note picking, I find that the compressor helps - especially for something that ends up as a youtube vid (where quiet/loud dynamic range isn't always desirable for the listener).

I agree - it's a good approximation of what I hear while playing, and I like it for these solo pieces.

FYI: signal chain: guitar -> AT4050s -> Discrete 4 Interface -> Reaper into 2 tracks (left/right). Then I send the two tracks into one track where I add compressor then reverb:

The compressor is a Waves CLA-76. I used the default 'Bluey' preset for acoustic guitar, but through the 'Blacky' revision. The needle doesn't move much, apart from a bit of wavering on some of the strums.

The reverb is Waves IR1, using the Room-1 preset but all the way down to 4.83% wet - so it's hardly there at all, just enough to add a little room back into the close-mic sound.

Tom
Old 03-03-2023, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlwhite View Post
Thanks K&G! I'm pleased, yes. I don't always use a compressor on my recorings, but if there's strumming and single-note picking, I find that the compressor helps - especially for something that ends up as a youtube vid (where quiet/loud dynamic range isn't always desirable for the listener).

I agree - it's a good approximation of what I hear while playing, and I like it for these solo pieces.

FYI: signal chain: guitar -> AT4050s -> Discrete 4 Interface -> Reaper into 2 tracks (left/right). Then I send the two tracks into one track where I add compressor then reverb:

The compressor is a Waves CLA-76. I used the default 'Bluey' preset for acoustic guitar, but through the 'Blacky' revision. The needle doesn't move much, apart from a bit of wavering on some of the strums.

The reverb is Waves IR1, using the Room-1 preset but all the way down to 4.83% wet - so it's hardly there at all, just enough to add a little room back into the close-mic sound.

Tom
What have your tests revealed about having a set of acoustic panels(or Gobo's) behind you? I assume from the video that is what they are. Do you feel having panels behind you makes a major difference?

What other acoustic Panels do you have and their placement? Carpeted floors or wood floors?
Old 03-06-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
What have your tests revealed about having a set of acoustic panels(or Gobo's) behind you? I assume from the video that is what they are. Do you feel having panels behind you makes a major difference?

What other acoustic Panels do you have and their placement? Carpeted floors or wood floors?
Well, I had the gobos from a different setup, so I just use them because I have them -- I haven't tested without because when they're down the room is obviously worse acoustically (just talking in it is echoey).

The room isn't perfect - in the future I'll have some panels on the walls to deaden. Ideally I'll be able to try more mic positions, not just close-mic'ing, once I've get panels up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD