The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-20-2023, 09:14 AM

Default The Lonnie Johnson – Eddie Lang Acoustic Guitar Duets

In honor of Black History Month, I've posted a detailed account of what happened when the most advanced blues guitarist of the Roaring Twenties teamed up with the era's foremost jazz guitarist. As heard in the embedded musical samples, the duets they created stand the test of time and continue to challenge and inspire.

https://jasobrecht.substack.com/p/th...-lang-acoustic

#LonnieJohnson #eddielang #jazzguitar #bluesguitar #LouisArmstrong #talkingguitar
Old 02-20-2023, 10:08 AM

I have an Eddie Lang box set with one entire CD dedicated to this fabulous duo. For he unitiated this is music well worth checking out. Stephan Grossman has some great LJ instructional material. Check out Peghead Nation for some Matt Munisteri material that captures Eddie Lang.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:34 PM

I first ran across recordings by Johnson, Lang, Scrapper Blackwell and a host of others in the 1960s when going through a 78 rpm collection owned by a friend of my father looking for folk music to record on a Roberts Reel to Reel. That stuff was just jaw dropping amazing.

Last edited by zombywoof; 02-20-2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:30 PM

Thanks for bringing this up. Enjoyed getting acquainted with their music.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:17 AM

I recall though the frustration of trying to find LPs during the 1960s. About the only U.S. label out there re-issuing any of Lonnie's recordings was Prestige. It was not until you got into the 1970s that the major labels and others such as Biograph began making the 78 rpm recordings available.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:39 PM

Big Eddie Lang fan. I also (attempt to) do Lonnie Johnson's "Tomorrow Night."

Thanks for the share.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN