The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-12-2023, 02:36 AM
hyenik hyenik is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 255
Default

i am fan of Schatten pickups.
Maybe not so impressive alone, but perfect in mix with another pickup.
It add some kind of "microphone smell" to sound.
__________________
Instagram
Youtube
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-12-2023, 02:41 AM
hyenik hyenik is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 255
Default

short examples of parlor stage sound
Schatten HFN + Seymour Duncan Mag Mic



__________________
Instagram
Youtube
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-12-2023, 06:15 AM
guitaniac guitaniac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyenik View Post
i am fan of Schatten pickups.
Maybe not so impressive alone, but perfect in mix with another pickup.
It add some kind of "microphone smell" to sound.
I thought the mic in the mag/mic was supposed to add the ďmicrophone smellĒ. Are you using the mag/micís mic in conjunction with the HFN or are you just blending the HFN with the mag?

In any event, I suspect your demoed sound would work well in a noisy bar setting, and the little parlor adds a pleasing visual effect.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-12-2023, 09:46 AM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyenik View Post
short examples of parlor stage sound
Schatten HFN + Seymour Duncan Mag Mic



Nice sound! Are you using a microphone to record the amplified tone as it comes out of a loudspeaker?
__________________
Martin HD-28 Sunburst/Trance M-VT Phantom
Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R Tommy Emmanuel/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Avian Skylark 2A
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-12-2023, 11:10 AM
hyenik hyenik is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I thought the mic in the mag/mic was supposed to add the ďmicrophone smellĒ. Are you using the mag/micís mic in conjunction with the HFN or are you just blending the HFN with the mag?

In any event, I suspect your demoed sound would work well in a noisy bar setting, and the little parlor adds a pleasing visual effect.
Thanks, Mag Mic yes, of course, but could add feedback on stage too
It is personal guitar of luthier from ReBell guitars, he mostly plays fingerstyle.
He mixing HFN with Mag (and Mic if circumstances allowed), two lines goes to LR Baggs DIīs and Schertler combo
__________________
Instagram
Youtube
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-12-2023, 11:11 AM
hyenik hyenik is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Nice sound! Are you using a microphone to record the amplified tone as it comes out of a loudspeaker?
No, Mr.ReBell goes simply line out usually.
This is only "iPhone demo". Better sound quality will come soon...
__________________
Instagram
Youtube
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2023, 12:34 PM
guitaniac guitaniac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyenik View Post
Thanks, Mag Mic yes, of course, but could add feedback on stage too
It is personal guitar of luthier from ReBell guitars, he mostly plays fingerstyle.
He mixing HFN with Mag (and Mic if circumstances allowed), two lines goes to LR Baggs DIīs and Schertler combo
Itís good to learn that the HFN is less feedback prone that the mic. Definitely a plus for the HFN. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2023, 01:50 PM
dilver dilver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm glad you're finding this pickup system sounding good for you. Please, if possible, can you post a direct-to-computer recording made with No Effects, Flat EQ, and No Microphones anywhere in or near your signal chain? I have sound demos of this system here on AGF with just the HFN pickup and another demo with a dual-pickup HFN system. It would be nice to compare what you've gotten with what I have. Thanks.
Let's see if this works - very basic demonstration of the Schatten HFN Active. Recorded straight into my DAW, no effects, flat eq, volume and tone controls on pickup full up. I would mic it if I was recording something, but this will give others a sense of what it sounds like.

https://soundcloud.com/user-34662153...social_sharing

Last edited by dilver; 02-12-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2023, 02:33 PM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
Let's see if this works - very basic demonstration of the Schatten HFN Active. Recorded straight into my DAW, no effects, flat eq, volume and tone controls on pickup full up. I would mic it if I was recording something, but this will give others a sense of what it sounds like.

https://soundcloud.com/user-34662153...social_sharing
Thanks For Taking The Time To Do This & That's Mighty Nice & You've Grandly Succeeded! Congratulations as this is the best Schatten HFN installation I've ever heard! The only thing I would suggest is a 3 dB cut somewhere in the midrange to lessen a bit of midrange forwardness I'm hearing (most flat EQ'ed, direct-to-computer recordings of most pickups need a bit of this).
__________________
Martin HD-28 Sunburst/Trance M-VT Phantom
Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R Tommy Emmanuel/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Avian Skylark 2A
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2023, 02:56 PM
guitaniac guitaniac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
Let's see if this works - very basic demonstration of the Schatten HFN Active. Recorded straight into my DAW, no effects, flat eq, volume and tone controls on pickup full up. I would mic it if I was recording something, but this will give others a sense of what it sounds like.

https://soundcloud.com/user-34662153...social_sharing
Thatís truly excellent for an unprocessed sound.

Am I correct that you are hosting that recording on Soundcloud Pro? If so, do they compress the heck out of your recordings also, or do they give you more leeway to process (or not) your own recordings the way you prefer them?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-2023, 03:04 PM
dilver dilver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks For Taking The Time To Do This & That's Mighty Nice & You've Grandly Succeeded! Congratulations as this is the best Schatten HFN installation I've ever heard! The only thing I would suggest is a 3 dB cut somewhere in the midrange to lessen a bit of midrange forwardness I'm hearing (most flat EQ'ed, direct-to-computer recordings of most pickups need a bit of this).
Thanks Sprucetop. Yeah, I guess I got lucky with the installation. Having the two pin holes in the saddle slot helped me to line up the pickup. Iíll see how it it
does in live situations. But I have to believe it will be decent and at least better than the stock Baggs Element. Iím MUCH happier with the unamplified tone of my guitar without the UST.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2023, 03:09 PM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
Thanks Sprucetop. Yeah, I guess I got lucky with the installation. Having the two pin holes in the saddle slot helped me to line up the pickup. Iíll see how it it
does in live situations. But I have to believe it will be decent and at least better than the stock Baggs Element. Iím MUCH happier with the unamplified tone of my guitar without the UST.
You're Welcome! I've found that if a pickup sounds good when direct-to-computer recorded it'll sound better through a PA speaker or acoustic amp. Of course, you have to be ready with some EQ if a pickup/guitar combo gets some feedback in a live venue but I think you'll do OK!
__________________
Martin HD-28 Sunburst/Trance M-VT Phantom
Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R Tommy Emmanuel/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Avian Skylark 2A
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2023, 03:27 PM
dilver dilver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
That’s truly excellent for an unprocessed sound.

Am I correct that you are hosting that recording on Soundcloud Pro? If so, do they compress the heck out of your recordings also, or do they give you more leeway to process (or not) your own recordings the way you prefer them?
Hey Guitaniac. You know, I have no idea what SoundCloud does, as I’m new to using it. But I have to believe they at least use some sort of limiter to get the levels of tracks people upload relatively even. The track I uploaded wasn’t mastered in any way, so it was like -18-14db max. And yet it still sounds pretty loud on SoundCloud.

Last edited by dilver; 02-12-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-2023, 03:40 PM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 11,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
Hey Guitaniac. You know, I have no idea what SoundCloud does, as I’m new to using it. But I have to believe they at least use some sort of limiter to get the levels of tracks people upload relatively even. The track I uploaded wasn’t mastered in any way, so it was like -18-14db max. And yet it still sounds pretty loud on SoundCloud.
SoundCloud does render an uploaded and posted sound file to their audio specs. I'm not sure but perhaps the "Pro" fee-based SoundCloud service's audio rendering offers higher fidelity than the "free" service most folks including me use.
__________________
Martin HD-28 Sunburst/Trance M-VT Phantom
Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R Tommy Emmanuel/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Avian Skylark 2A
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2023, 05:41 PM
guitaniac guitaniac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
Hey Guitaniac. You know, I have no idea what SoundCloud does, as Iím new to using it. But I have to believe they at least use some sort of limiter to get the levels of tracks people upload relatively even. The track I uploaded wasnít mastered in any way, so it was like -18-14db max. And yet it still sounds pretty loud on SoundCloud.
I uploaded one just now that I normalized to -2db. LOL, Iím gonna go right back and normalize it to -10db to see if the results are any different. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=