The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-05-2017, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Looping a section for learning Youtube?

I'm looking for a way on a Mac to loop a section of a song on youtube so I can learn it more easily. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:59 AM

Audacity, an audio editor, is available for Linux, Mac and Windows and can loop selected sections. It is free to download.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks, Stanron. I'd like to also be able to loop the video to learn by watching the fingering technique.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 AM

Transcribe! does this. Is there a Mac version?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 05-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Yes, there is a Mac version according to seventh string software. also, (at least on a Windows 10 PC), the audio and video sync up very well and the whole thing runs quite smoothly and glitch free. I have even ripped DVDs and "put them under the microscope" with Transcribe!. The file format I convert to is mp4.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
I'm looking for a way on a Mac to loop a section of a song on youtube so I can learn it more easily. Any suggestions? Thanks.
As mentioned, Transcribe will do this, but you need other software to download and convert the youtubes from FLV to MP4. (It's mostly free stuff, but watch out for adware.)

Tips here: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/video.html

If you only need audio, btw, then Transcribe lets you record any streaming audio in real time, and will open the file when done. That's useful if you only want part of a track, or find it difficult to download the whole thing.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Old thread, but I don't think a lot of people realize that you can do looping within Youtube, even slowed down. I just stumbled onto this (I do a lot of stumbling).
  1. Play the Youtube video on your browser
  2. Adjust the speed to whatever you want (Gear--> Playback Speed)
  3. Select 'Clip' below the video (may be a dropdown of the '...' icon)
  4. Type in the start time and end time.

You can even send the clip to yourself, or copy the link for future reference - so you don't have to go back to the original (long version) of the video.

Within the Clip function, Add a title, then select 'Share'. Then email it to yourself or copy the Link.

Bingo.

I've run across some videos that don't have the 'Clip' icon, but nearly all the ones I've looked at do.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 01-21-2023, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Old thread, but I don't think a lot of people realize that you can do looping within Youtube, even slowed down. I just stumbled onto this (I do a lot of stumbling).

You can even send the clip to yourself, or copy the link for future reference - so you don't have to go back to the original (long version) of the video.

Within the Clip function, Add a title, then select 'Share'. Then email it to yourself or copy the Link.

Bingo.

I've run across some videos that don't have the 'Clip' icon, but nearly all the ones I've looked at do.
COOL! Now your instructions are in here twice ...

When I've wanted to do that I've used youtube-dl to get the video local
and then used VLC Media Player to slow down and "clip" ... Lar's way seems
a lot easier...

-Mike
Old 01-22-2023, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Hi lar
Thanks!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-22-2023, 01:53 PM

I download via 4k video downloader and then bring the video into Transcribe.

The features that I like about Transcribe are that you can change the pitch, loop a section, and slow down incrementally.

It uses sliders, so you can play a video at, for example, 87% speed, pitch two steps down. The pitch slider goes up and down, the speed slider only goes down.

If you slowdown the pitch won't change unless you choose through the slider. Also you can create markers and loop a section that you've marked.

You can make the video smaller and the soundtrack smaller, wider, larger etc.

I use Transcribe on a Mac with Monterey so I don't know how it works on a PC.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:54 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have a PC.

That said, I use two tools.

1. 4K Video downloader. All I have to do is paste the youtube link into the software and it downloads to its default folder or a folder I specify.

2. Transcribe! Not free software, but you can loop videos/wav files, etc. slow them down, speed them up, raise the pitch (capo) or lower it. To see videos I had to download Gstream.

Not sure if the above are available for non PC computers.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-23-2023, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

https://vidami.com/
I bought the the wireless blue version last year and use it exclusively for YT learning. You can change the video speed (in either direction), move forward and back, create a loop and stop/pause/start. Yes, all those functions can be accomplished within YT, and perhaps with the software mentioned as well, which I do not know about. The thing with Vidami is that it is a pedal-controlled device. Your hands never have to leave your guitar to capture and adjust the sections you want to isolate. I think the device does other stuff too, that I have just not explored. Not cheap, but invaluable for online learning. There is a wired version that is considerably cheaper (shop around). I just find that wires are not my friend.
David
Old 01-23-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
https://vidami.com/
I bought the the wireless blue version last year and use it exclusively for YT learning. You can change the video speed (in either direction), move forward and back, create a loop and stop/pause/start. Yes, all those functions can be accomplished within YT, and perhaps with the software mentioned as well, which I do not know about.
David
Transcribe will work with footpedals too - the same small but useful range of options. USB or wireless (I've tried both and prefer the USB). There are references to foot pedal (and midi control) use here: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/faq3.html
Old 01-23-2023, 12:13 PM

The other useful thing abiut the video option in Transcribe! is you have a shuttle slider, which will put the video exactly in sync with the audio.

I've found that converted YouTube videos (flv to mp4) often have audio and video slight out of sync, which you might not notice at full speed but is obviously an issue when you slow it down to watch the players fingers!

Watching fingers - in live performances - is the only thing you need video for, of course - not just for positions and shapes, but for identifying unusual tunings. Otherwise I just use audio.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

I bought a Vidami pedal a few months back which I use to steal I mean learn things off Y/T. Control playback speed, set up loops, FF, Reverse, all hands free.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write