The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-30-2023, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Update

Thanks, all, especially Jim. I ended up going mid-luxe:

16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray
With the following configuration:
Apple M2 Pro with 12‑core CPU, 19‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display
Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot, headphone jack, MagSafe 3 port
140W USB-C Power Adapter
Backlit Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - US English

Didn’t go Max, didn’t go 1TB or higher.

The eye for detail will note that the only upgrade was the 32GB Unified Memory. Maybe unnecessary because the M2 Pro architecture supposedly uses access memory more efficiently. So that might have been a waste of $400.

The extra $500 for the 16” was pretty bougie of me, but I’m needing to squint more these days if you know what I mean. Plus, the 16” fits in my existing 15” case.

I’ll use this primarily for work, so it’s deductible. Moreover, I got a little education discount owing to my work. But three grand, with tax, was more than I hoped to spend. Like I said in another thread, there goes the D-18.

By the way, the butterfly keyboard fiasco: they changed to that (“brand new!”) in the next model after my mid-2015 unit. So glad I missed that! Then, a year or so ago I noticed they were touting a great new keyboard — just like my old one, or close enough. I took it as Apple eating crow. I saw that reprised keyboard today on the 13” MBP or maybe the Air, can’t remember. It felt exactly like the one on mine that just bellied out. But the newest one on the M2 Pro machine does feel like an improvement.

Moral of that story: I Rip Van Winkled my way right past the butterfly keyboard. I dodged that silly slider bar, too.

Finally, it will seem strange to branch all those USB-A peripherals from the Thunderbolt 4 ports. Should I look for a new audio interface? Mine’s a Presonus AudioBox USB 96.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 01-30-2023 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hum I will have to look at the settlement info agin.. I thought that was the other way around---- that if you had paid to have it repaired you were entitled to compensation ????????????????????????
KevWind, mine was repaired under warranty by Apple, so no cost to me. Maybe I read it wrong.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
KevWind, mine was repaired under warranty by Apple, so no cost to me. Maybe I read it wrong.
Well I apparently read it wrong also Below appears to saying if you did "obtain replacement from Apple " so in retrospect I guess that means a free warranty repair ? Kinda confusing

Couple screen shot from https://www.keyboardsettlement.com/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-13-2023, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I just got off the phone with Apple Support. I don't need to do anything regarding the settlement, they'll replace my MB Pro keyboard for free. And while it's in the shop, I'll have them replace the battery too. The cycle count on my battery is nearing 1200 and they recommend thinking about getting a new battery for my Macbook once you hit 1000. I bring the computer in on the 20th. Not sure how long they'll have to keep it.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-13-2023, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

And for the OP's FWIW interest ---- on my 14" MBP with the M1 Pro chip I have yet to feel any heat or hear any fan noise --when doing PT or Final Cut Pro X.
Now granted I have not done any big multi track projects in PT.
But have done some typical processing in FCPX - that would get my intel iMac fans going loudly ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-13-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
And for the OP's FWIW interest ---- on my 14" MBP with the M1 Pro chip I have yet to feel any heat or hear any fan noise --when doing PT or Final Cut Pro X.
Now granted I have not done any big multi track projects in PT.
But have done some typical processing in FCPX - that would get my intel iMac fans going loudly ...
Me too. With all the plug-ins running an the second monitor, the laptop feels cool to the touch after a half hour. Definitely different from the old one. And no dropouts.

I have yet to record with a small block size.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Thought I'd share that my son, daughter, and I all upgraded our laptops recently. I have the 14" MB Pro in Space Gray with M1 Pro, daughter has the same but with the new M2 Pro, and son has the 13.6" MB Air in Midnight with the M2 standard. They're all screamers, even with the base specs (I upgraded my HD to 1TB), plus the M1 MacMini that I swore I'd use for home recording, LOL.

I still have an Intel iMac and this old late 2015 15" MB Pro, which keeps on ticking.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Me too. With all the plug-ins running an the second monitor, the laptop feels cool to the touch after a half hour. Definitely different from the old one. And no dropouts.

Me I would not hesitate to at least just try 16 or 32 I am betting even 16 will be quite usable if you don't use plugins while recording
Trust me when latency is at a negligible level recording is just more fun and feels much more like" live in the room"

I used to use a ProTools HD Native system (on the computer CPU not DSP chips) and was able to use 64 buffer while recording I did not notice that some latency delay was there -- BUT when I switched to DSP I all of sudden realized that latency was not there !!! and it just feels different (how can I put this ?) kinda like removing clear piece of cellophane between me and sound ...
I suspect that 32 or especially 16 (if doable) will get you closer to that feeling

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-16-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Any folks with Apple M1/M2 line of processors that have memory utilization info, that might be interesting for folks considering/planning for the next step.

I put a bunch of memory in my old iMac (8+64), and it remains largely unused, save for photo editing, it seems. Even the video (only dipped my toe in 4k, and just a single camera/angle) seems to not use as much as I thought it might.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I'm with Kev on the small block size. It's not only an issue of "you could" but more an issue of "you should". With a tad of testing, it's easy to find the breaking point and simply back off from there. On my Mac Studio, I record at 32 virtually all the time and the lack of latency is luxurious. I can use 16 for almost everything but, at 32 there's virtually zero latency so...why not. The only exception is with my Spitfire Orchestral libraries which usually require something higher. The Spitfire stuff is enormously taxing and can be a bit of a pain but the sonic quality is worth the price of bumping the block size a bit.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Before the new Mac, I was going with a 512 block! If I armed the Monitor button on a track I was recording, I’d hear a very discernible delay. I just adapted by turning off the Monitor button. Then I tracked through headphones and used the monitor signal flow directly in the interface — no latency because it doesn’t go through the A/D and back through the D/A converters. So I figured it wasn’t a problem. But you folks are helping me see that I should now be able to record bass or electric guitar, or MIDI keyboard — without resorting to headphones — and play along with the studio monitors. Exciting.

I might even walk on the wild side and record electric and bass with a little Ampire amp simulator on it live.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Before the new Mac, I was going with a 512 block! If I armed the Monitor button on a track I was recording, I’d hear a very discernible delay. I just adapted by turning off the Monitor button. Then I tracked through headphones and used the monitor signal flow directly in the interface — no latency because it doesn’t go through the A/D and back through the D/A converters. So I figured it wasn’t a problem. But you folks are helping me see that I should now be able to record bass or electric guitar, or MIDI keyboard — without resorting to headphones — and play along with the studio monitors. Exciting.

I might even walk on the wild side and record electric and bass with a little Ampire amp simulator on it live.
For me the noticeable and distracting echo type delay started at 256 samples. I could hear it a 128 and even slightly at 64 but it just sounded kinda like using reverb while tracking .

But yes me, I would first try recording any audio tracks at 16 samples and or 32 for using VI's and see how the new computer handles if --If there are no clicks, pops, crackles or dropouts that is what I would use and set up my song templates as that ... Maybe one for primarily audio @ 16 and one @ 32 for multiple VI's
(you can always increase it after the fact if necessary)

Yes it is pretty nice to overdub while plugged in and listen to speakers instead of HP's although I do both.

Here I am doing 3 different methods ..
#1 The rhythm guitar and lead vocal I am doing live style with no monitoring (Used HP's to set the levels but just recording based on what I am hearing myself sing and play acoustically) --
#2 Using HP's to dub the background vocals ,,
#3 For the electric guitar I have it plugged into the DI on my interface, using some DSP plugins FX's and listening thru the speakers .

Note what ever timing that is not dead tight in the pocket, is just because of my playing timing not system delay

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-18-2023 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

opps double post

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-19-2023, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Brave new world that has such tech in it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD