The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-30-2020, 05:11 PM

Default fingerstyle resonator

I want a resonator with a super wide nut, short scale for fingerstyle. Are there any suggestions under $1000 and preferably much less?
Old 05-30-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I want a resonator with a super wide nut, short scale for fingerstyle. Are there any suggestions under $1000 and preferably much less?
Most of the budget ones like Gretsch are going to have little necks. Most nationals have a 1.82. Super wide on a budget is going to be rough. In fact the cheapest option I can think of is a used Baritone National with light strings tuned to standard. But it's still going to be 27 inch scale. And it isn't going to be cheap
Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 AM

Youre right, the least expensive one I found was $1500, but it had a wide nut. So Im guessing I wont be getting a reso
Old 05-31-2020, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Republic resonators have a 1 13/16" nut width but most of their line is a 25.5" scale. My Woody tricone has a nice chunky neck profile and works well for fingerstyle. They do offer a parlor model with a 24.5" scale.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Republic resonators have a 1 13/16" nut width but most of their line is a 25.5" scale. My Woody tricone has a nice chunky neck profile and works well for fingerstyle. They do offer a parlor model with a 24.5" scale.
That's only a hundredth of an inch or so less than a national. Nice! Good to know there is an option with some chunk to it!
Old 06-01-2020, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
That's only a hundredth of an inch or so less than a national. Nice! Good to know there is an option with some chunk to it!
I'll also verify that my Republic Duolian (single cone, nickel-plated, bell brass) model has the 1 13/16" wide nut. Plenty of room to roam for the fingers.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-22-2020, 06:21 PM

I play a Gold Tone by Paul Beard. Solid mahogany Body, ebony round neck,
1-3/4” nut, good string spacing for fingerstyle. I’ve had it for about 10 years And it stays in tune very well, and it’s pretty good quality for an import. Great action for slide and fretting.
I would buy it again.
As I was typing this I sneezed and the RESO WHICH is about 8 Feet away on a stand lit up and it filled the room with sound. LOL

Blues
Old 06-23-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
I play a Gold Tone by Paul Beard. Solid mahogany Body, ebony round neck,
1-3/4” nut, good string spacing for fingerstyle. I’ve had it for about 10 years And it stays in tune very well, and it’s pretty good quality for an import. Great action for slide and fretting.
I would buy it again.
As I was typing this I sneezed and the RESO WHICH is about 8 Feet away on a stand lit up and it filled the room with sound. LOL

Blues
I have a 20 year old National single cone on my bedroom wall. Midnight coughs an sneezes "resonate"
Old 01-27-2023, 12:54 PM

I know this is an old thread but I just want to mention that the string width at the nut is only 1/2 of the issue. You also need to consider the string width at the bridge which has a very
significant impact.
Vermont
Old 02-12-2023, 03:10 PM

Yes , but that's relatively simple to address with a new Saddle Insert .
Old 02-12-2023, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Zombie thread, but Royall Resonator has what the OP asked for. Scale length 25", 1 13/16" nut, biscuit bridge for under $800.

https://royallguitars.com/product/ro...-matte-finish/

I have one of their woody tricones which I really like. I put in Beard cones and a Schatten tri-cone pickup. Good value, probably made by the same factory that makes Republics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments